Re: [caplet] ADsafe and the Standard Globals

  • ♘ stay
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 10, 2008
      On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 4:48 PM, Douglas Crockford <douglas@...> wrote:
      > Values may be obtain only for these member names:
      >
      > E LN2 LN10 LOG2E LOG10E PI SQRT1_2 SQRT2 MAX_VALUE MIN_VALUE
      > NEGATIVE_INFINITY POSITIVE_INFINITY
      >
      > so
      >
      > Object.PI
      >
      > is allowed.

      Did you mean Math.PI, or is X.PI allowed for any X?
      --
      Mike Stay
      stay@...
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 10, 2008
        --- In caplet@yahoogroups.com, "♘ stay" <stay@...> wrote:

        > Did you mean Math.PI, or is X.PI allowed for any X?

        Yes. It is in anticipation of a decimal package of some sort.
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 10, 2008
          > They are creatures of the DOM.

          I can see the B-movie poster now :-)

          More seriously, all of the objects that Doug just granted access to,
          with the exception of Date, provide no authority -- they only provide
          pure deterministic functions, constant values, and the ability to
          allocate objects of those types (if you don't count that as pure).
          I had come up with exactly the same list for Jacaranda -- except
          that I had accidentially missed out encodeURIComponent.

          Date is an exception just because it grants access to what the Javascript
          implementation thinks the current date/time is, which is technically an
          authority -- but not one that is significant for ADsafe's threat model.

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 10, 2008
            On 10/04/2008, David-Sarah Hopwood
            <david.hopwood@...> wrote:

            > Douglas Crockford wrote:
            > > They are creatures of the DOM.
            >
            > I can see the B-movie poster now :-)
            >
            > More seriously, all of the objects that Doug just granted access to,
            > with the exception of Date, provide no authority -- they only provide
            > pure deterministic functions, constant values, and the ability to
            > allocate objects of those types (if you don't count that as pure).
            > I had come up with exactly the same list for Jacaranda -- except
            > that I had accidentially missed out encodeURIComponent.
            >
            > Date is an exception just because it grants access to what the Javascript
            > implementation thinks the current date/time is, which is technically an
            > authority -- but not one that is significant for ADsafe's threat model.

            Date also provides info about the user's locale, but so does Number to
            some degree.
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 10, 2008
              On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 10:17 PM, Kris Zyp <kris@...> wrote:
              > No confirm, alert, or prompt? Preventing annoyance exploits? ;) Or is there
              > another exploit I am not aware of?

              Currently, ADsafe is still approximately a subset of Caja. Were these
              added, it would cause significant breakage of the subset relationship.

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 11, 2008
                Mike Samuel wrote:
                > On 10/04/2008, David-Sarah Hopwood
                > <david.hopwood@...> wrote:
                >> Douglas Crockford wrote:
                >> > They are creatures of the DOM.
                >>
                >> I can see the B-movie poster now :-)
                >>
                >> More seriously, all of the objects that Doug just granted access to,
                >> with the exception of Date, provide no authority -- they only provide
                >> pure deterministic functions, constant values, and the ability to
                >> allocate objects of those types (if you don't count that as pure).
                >> I had come up with exactly the same list for Jacaranda -- except
                >> that I had accidentially missed out encodeURIComponent.
                >>
                >> Date is an exception just because it grants access to what the Javascript
                >> implementation thinks the current date/time

                and timezone

                >> is, which is technically an authority -- but not one that is significant
                >> for ADsafe's threat model.
                >
                > Date also provides info about the user's locale, but so does Number to
                > some degree.

                And Array.prototype.toLocaleString, and String.prototype.localeCompare.
                Thanks for pointing this out -- it's better to have any ambient authority
                that we decide to allow thoroughly documented.

                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 11, 2008
                  On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 2:13 PM, David-Sarah Hopwood
                  <david.hopwood@...> wrote:
                  > >> More seriously, all of the objects that Doug just granted access to,
                  > >> with the exception of Date, provide no authority -- they only provide
                  > >> pure deterministic functions, constant values, and the ability to
                  > >> allocate objects of those types (if you don't count that as pure).

                  In addition to the violations noted later in this thread, there's also
                  Math.random().

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 15, 2008
                    --- In caplet@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Samuel" <mikesamuel@...> wrote:
                    > > I am relaxing ADsafe to allow access to these standard globals:
                    > >
                    > > Array Boolean Date decodeURI decodeURIComponent encodeURI
                    > > encodeURIComponent Error escape EvalError isFinite isNaN
                    > > Math Number Object parseInt parseFloat RangeError
                    > > ReferenceError RegExp String SyntaxError TypeError unescape
                    > > URIError
                    >
                    > Is it really worth including {,un}escape in light of
                    > http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/9yzah1fh(VS.85).aspx ?
                    > Is it a goal to support older versions of JS that don't have
                    > {de,en}codeURIComponent?

                    It is in the standard and it does not represent a leak. escape is not
                    recommended for encoding URLs, but can be used for encoding values in
                    cookies. Unless there is a stronger argument, I think it should be
                    allowed.

                    > Is RegExp.$1 is not allowed? If so, it may leak information from the
                    > last match performed by privileged code.

                    RegExp.$1 is not allowed because $1 is not the name of one of the
                    Math/Number constants.

                    RegExp['$1'] is not allowed because '$1' does not look like a
                    stringified number.

                    ADsafe.get(RegExp, '$1') is not allowed because RegExp is a function.
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 15, 2008

                      > --- In caplet@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Samuel" <mikesamuel@...> wrote:
                      > > > I am relaxing ADsafe to allow access to these standard globals:
                      > > >
                      > > > Array Boolean Date decodeURI decodeURIComponent encodeURI
                      > > > encodeURIComponent Error escape EvalError isFinite isNaN
                      > > > Math Number Object parseInt parseFloat RangeError
                      > > > ReferenceError RegExp String SyntaxError TypeError unescape
                      > > > URIError
                      > >
                      > > Is it really worth including {,un}escape in light of
                      > > http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/9yzah1fh(VS.85).aspx ?
                      > > Is it a goal to support older versions of JS that don't have
                      > > {de,en}codeURIComponent?
                      >
                      > It is in the standard and it does not represent a leak. escape is not
                      > recommended for encoding URLs, but can be used for encoding values in
                      > cookies. Unless there is a stronger argument, I think it should be
                      > allowed.

                      I have no stronger argument than, in code I review, it is much more
                      frequently misused than used properly.

                      If the goal is to allow all innocuous ES built-ins, then it should be allowed.

                      > > Is RegExp.$1 is not allowed? If so, it may leak information from the
                      > > last match performed by privileged code.
                      >
                      > RegExp.$1 is not allowed because $1 is not the name of one of the
                      > Math/Number constants.
                      >
                      > RegExp['$1'] is not allowed because '$1' does not look like a
                      > stringified number.
                      >
                      > ADsafe.get(RegExp, '$1') is not allowed because RegExp is a function.

                      Cool.
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 15, 2008
                        On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 4:42 PM, Douglas Crockford
                        <douglas@...> wrote:
                        > > Is it really worth including {,un}escape in light of
                        > > http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/9yzah1fh(VS.85).aspx ?
                        > > Is it a goal to support older versions of JS that don't have
                        > > {de,en}codeURIComponent?
                        >
                        > It is in the standard [...]

                        I just looked. They are not in the normative part of the ES3 spec.
                        They appear only in Annex B. (B.2.1 & B.2.2)

                        They have never appeared in the Caja whitelist, and probably never
                        will. So they are not in any of the normative supersets of ADsafe.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 15, 2008
                          --- In caplet@yahoogroups.com, "Mark S. Miller" <erights@...> wrote:
                          > I just looked. They are not in the normative part of the ES3 spec.
                          > They appear only in Annex B. (B.2.1 & B.2.2)
                          >
                          > They have never appeared in the Caja whitelist, and probably never
                          > will. So they are not in any of the normative supersets of ADsafe.

                          And they are no longer in ADsafe. JSLint will flag them in all cases.