Re: [caplet] Mutability of functions in ECMAScript

    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 6 8:20 AM
      David-Sarah Hopwood wrote:
      > Mark Miller wrote:
      >> On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 9:09 PM, Kris Zyp <kris@...> wrote:
      >>> AFAIK, no implementation has ever actually done this "joining", and I
      >>> believe ES3.1 and ES4 will very likely dissallow joining to prevent
      >>> it from
      >>> ever happening in the future.
      >>
      >> Yes, that's what we decided. ES3.1 and ES4 will be deterministic in
      >> this regard. No joining.
      >
      > If functions were immutable, joining would be a transparent optimization.

      Actually not quite, because it would still be observable by using ===.
      But my question stands:

      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 6 9:14 AM
        > If functions were immutable, joining would be a transparent optimization.

        Apart from the theoretical potential for backward incompatibility, why

        isn't this a better solution? I suspect that very few programs rely on

        mutating actual functions
        Really? It is actually even used in ADsafe's core library. Mutating functions is pretty core functionality, and AFAIK it is necessary to form multi-level prototypical inheritance. If I want object A to delegate/inherit from preexisting object B, I must create a function and set the prototype (a mutation) to object B and then construct with that function. See the beget function in ADsafe.
        I would extremely surprised if function mutation is less common than some of the things that the ES3.1 and ES4 groups have to maintain for backwards compatibility (the latest was being able override the Error built-in). I have used it other situations as well, like using storing a list of listeners on a AOP advising function. AOP style event listeners are common in popular JS libraries as well, and I would imagine they use such techiniques as well.

        > (as opposed to creating mutable objects that are
        > callable as functions, or
        mutating Function.prototype) .

        How do make a regular object callable?

        Sent: Sunday, April 06, 2008 9:17 AM
        Subject: Re: [caplet] Mutability of functions in ECMAScript

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 6 12:30 PM
          Does anyone know the rationale for putting joining in the spec in the first place?

          mike

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 6 1:46 PM
            Kris Zyp wrote:
            >> If functions were immutable, joining would be a transparent optimization.
            >> Apart from the theoretical potential for backward incompatibility, why
            >> isn't this a better solution? I suspect that very few programs rely on
            >> mutating actual functions
            >
            > Really? It is actually even used in ADsafe's core library. Mutating functions
            > is pretty core functionality, and AFAIK it is necessary to form multi-level
            > prototypical inheritance. If I want object A to delegate/inherit from
            > preexisting object B, I must create a function and set the prototype (a
            > mutation) to object B and then construct with that function. See the beget
            > function in ADsafe. I would extremely surprised if function mutation is less
            > common than some of the things that the ES3.1 and ES4 groups have to maintain
            > for backwards compatibility (the latest was being able override the Error
            > built-in). I have used it other situations as well, like using storing a
            > list of listeners on a AOP advising function. AOP style event listeners are
            > common in popular JS libraries as well, and I would imagine they use such
            > techiniques as well.
            >
            >> (as opposed to creating mutable objects that are
            >> callable as functions, or mutating Function.prototype).
            >
            > How do make a regular object callable?

            You're right, I don't know what I was thinking of. Making functions
            immutable in ES3.1/4 is not practical.

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 6 2:01 PM
              On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 12:30 PM, Mike Samuel <mikesamuel@...> wrote:
              > Does anyone know the rationale for putting joining in the spec in the first
              > place?

              I'd guess it was to enable the optimization that David was suggesting.
              But I don't actually know.

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 8 9:39 AM
                --- In caplet@yahoogroups.com, "Kris Zyp" <kris@...> wrote:
                > > If functions were immutable, joining would be a transparent
                optimization.
                > > Apart from the theoretical potential for backward incompatibility, why
                > > isn't this a better solution? I suspect that very few programs rely on
                > > mutating actual functions

                > Really? It is actually even used in ADsafe's core library. Mutating
                functions is pretty core functionality, and AFAIK it is necessary to
                form multi-level prototypical inheritance. If I want object A to
                delegate/inherit from preexisting object B, I must create a function
                and set the prototype (a mutation) to object B and then construct with
                that function. See the beget function in ADsafe.

                beget is a workaround for the lack of an operator that produces an
                object with a delegation relationship. It should not be interpreted as
                proof that mutable functions are desirable.