17Re: The Mashup Problem

    Jun 22, 2007
      --- In caplet@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Stay" <stay@...> wrote:
      > Or did you mean that the group trying to come
      > up with one?
      > --
      > Mike Stay

      Right.

      JavaScript is dependent on global variables. Because of that
      dependency, it is unlikely that JavaScript can ever be made secure.
      HTML's DOM interface is similarly insecure.

      But if we step up a level, we have vats. The HTML page runs in a vat.
      Each iframe is a vat. Each worker in the Google Gears worker pool is a
      vat. All of the sandboxed client technologies are vatty.

      So I think we can solve a much simpler problem. I think it takes the
      form of a capability communications manager that can issue unguessable
      ids to each vat, provide message routing via those ids, and provide
      location services.

      It could be implemented in the short term as a browser extension, so
      we could enjoy a much faster adoption curve than if we had to wait for
      the browsers to be ungraded.

      It also could civilize the upcoming battle between Silverlight, Air,
      and JavaFX. A common capability communication mechanism would allow
      all of these technologies to be mashed up.
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic