Powell Remarks Following Meeting With Cape Verde Foreign Minister - 9/6/2002

  • Richard Leary
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22, 2005
      http://www.state.gov/secretary/former/powell/remarks/2002/13325.htm

      Remarks Following Meeting With Cape Verde Foreign Minister Manuel Sousa

      Secretary Colin L. Powell
      Cape Verde
      September 6, 2002

      I'm very pleased during this brief stop in Cape Verde that I was able
      to meet with Foreign Minister Sousa, and we spent some time discussing
      relations between the United States and Cape Verde. We are very
      pleased that we have good, strong relations with Cape Verde, and we
      have been so pleased to see the development of your democracy, your
      commitment to human rights, and the economic reform that you have
      undertaken over the years. I want to assure the Cape Verdean people
      that the United States will remain engaged and try to do everything we
      can to support Cape Verde.

      I also had the opportunity to thank the Foreign Minister for the
      support that the Cape Verdean government has given to the United
      States during the campaign against terrorism. There are issues we'll
      be working on in the months ahead: Cape Verde's ability to acquire
      funds from the Millennium Challenge account that President Bush has
      announced and other efforts that we would like to undertake to assist
      with investment and trade in Cape Verde.

      We will always be thankful that so many Cape Verdeans have settled in
      the United States. Really, we are, as the Foreign Minister noted,
      almost one country because of the strong relationship not only between
      Cape Verde and the United States as governments, but because of the
      continuing family relations between the Cape Verdeans who live in New
      England and the native Cape Verdeans.

      So it's a great pleasure to be here. I wish my trip could have been
      longer, but I look forward to a return. Thank you.

      Released on September 6, 2002