Fw: Lusophone African Studies Organization

  • Richard Leary
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2003
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Kathleen Sheldon
      To: <H-LUSO-AFRICA@...>
      Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 3:34 PM
      Subject: Lusophone African Studies Organization

      > Date: 31 December 2002
      > From: Kathleen Sheldon, UCLA
      >

      > The Lusophone African Studies Organization (LASO) held its annual business
      meeting on 7 December 2002, during the U.S. African Studies Association
      meeting in Washington, D.C. There were between 25 and 30 members and
      friends present. Business was followed by a reception to launch five new
      books published on Lusophone Africa in 2002.

      > After introductions, we accomplished the following:
      > Election of officers:
      > Kathleen Sheldon, chair
      > Elizabeth MacGonagle, vice-chair
      > Lloys Frates, treasurer and membership (further information to follow)
      > Marissa Moorman and Steve Kyle, steering committee.
      >
      > Marissa and Steve will be organizing the LASO panels for the 2003 African
      Studies Association, to be held in Boston, October 30 - November 2, 2003.
      More information about submitting paper proposals will be available very
      soon on h-luso-africa and at www.africanstudies.org, but note the deadline
      for LASO-sponsored panels will be March 1, 2003.

      > We recruited new members to the h-luso-africa editorial board and advisory
      board. As they are approved by H-Net their names and further information
      will be posted here. We hope to expand and improve the h-luso-africa
      website, and Carolyn Vieira-Martinez agreed to work on that project.

      > Lloys reported on the two panels and one roundtable that she organized for
      LASO this year. All were well attended and very successful. Our
      international visitor, Victor Igreja, presented a paper on one panel, and we
      were all pleased to have him participate with the help of funding from the
      ASA.

      > Steve Kyle reported on a conference on "Lusophone Africa: Intersections
      Between the Social Sciences" to be held at Cornell University, May 2-3,
      2003; complete information was posted earlier, see the discussion archive at
      h-luso-africa:

      http://h-net.msu.edu/cgi-bin/logbrowse.pl?trx=vx&list=h-luso-africa&month=02
      11&week=d&msg=wCSt7Rayky3uJPW1iun0eg&user=&pw=

      > Sheri Young reported on her work to support the Arquivo Historico de
      Moçambique, which is suffering from damage due to plumbing leaks in the
      building where it is housed. She has been helping the AHM director, Joel
      Tembe, seek international logistical and financial support. Further
      information on how you can help in this project will be posted on this list.

      > It was great to see everyone, and have so many others volunteer to help
      run the organization and the listserve, thank you all!