Let Them eat Cake (er, watch US Open)

  • Richard Leary
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2002
      Or is that gufongs?

      Or steamed clams?

      Is it not noteworthy that here in the USA, with, technically speaking, the
      greatest information and media resources and capabilities on the planet, we
      see more US Open reruns this last weekend than coverage of the Earth Summit
      ("World $ummit on $ustainable Destruction" ?) being held in Jo'burg.

      (Of course, when we say "greatest information resources" this is only true
      if one ignores the whole realm of so-called indigenous knowledge (e.g. Inuit
      astronomy and climatology) and modes of preception and data gathering. When
      one does that, we wonder if perhaps our remote sensing systems have some
      severe technical limitations).)

      (In one scene in the movie "The Right Stuff," about the US Space program,
      Gordon Cooper travels to Australia to monitor the first human to orbit Earth
      (John Glenn) from a communications link in the outback. There, he tells the
      Aborigines that he is an "astronaut", to which he gets a reply... "oh, you
      too?" )

      http://www.radioearthsummit.org/

      http://www.greenpeace.org/homepage/

      http://www.johannesburgsummit.org/

      (blow a conch shell - http://audio.planetgrey.org/noises/conch.mp3 - to
      offset corporate culture attack)

      (teachers: here's the summit roundtable discussion paper with a "a set of
      questions from the Chairman of the World Summit on Sustainable Development
      to guide discussions at the roundtables on the theme of "Making It Happen."

      http://www.johannesburgsummit.org/html/documents/summit_docs/3108_roundtable
      s_discussion_paper.pdf

      Maybe this can be used as basis for classroom discussions. Or brainwashing
      sessions. Look at the material. Check out the above listed sites - e.g.,
      Greenpeace Summit site. You be the judge.)

      I believe Pedro Pires is attending the summit. Will he be making a
      presentation? If so, is it online? On the CV government site? Perhaps CV
      government will be sending out press releases regarding CV at Earth Summit
      to all CV Diapora media outlets (including this Forum) as means of informing
      all as to current CV positions and thoughts on earth and environmental
      issues.

      Like infotainment in USA, such things are really policy matters. Or simply
      inertia. No technical obstacles.

      Article today in Boston Globe on existing and looming planet-wide water
      problems. That IS a technical issue. And economic and political and policy
      .... A real mess. But as long as we own Canada, at least we here don't have
      a problem. For the third and fourth worlds, good luck!

      Richard Leary