Re: [capeverdeFORUM] President Pires' Pursuit
- Very brief and simple! The CV community in New Bedford is being dissolved by prospectors, the land is being bought out from under our feet. The same will occur on the islands with the USA on a rampage to dominate world economics. One of the most critical elements is control over tele-communications and the media. Need I say more?
Richard Leary <rleary@...> wrote: 1. Does "A Luta Continua?" Does the struggle continue? If so, how is the
struggle now defined and waged?
2. On the whole, has European investment and development to date in Cabo
Verde been a positive or negative thing?
3. Should the telecommunications sector in Cabo Verde be owned by
4. What is the government's position regarding energizing and legitimizing
the Kriol dimension of society, particularly the Kriolu language?
5. Do Cabral's ideas have any influence over the development of domestic and
foreign policy, including educational and cultural policy, particularly the
concepts of a "Return to the Source" and "Culture as a Weapon?"
6. Should Cabo Verde not be shifting more towards the US and away from
Portugal in matters of cultural and economic exchange, and politicial
7. How has your politics and philosophy changed over the years? What can
Cabo Verde realistically hope to achieve over the next 50 years, and how
will it do that? What meaning does such a question have for you?
8. How can the established Capeverdean American community and American
friends of Cape Verde and Cape Verde more effectively and meaningfully work
together, beyond the periodic symbolic exchanges of friendship and good
----- Original Message -----
From: Richard Leary <rleary@...>
To: CV Forum <capeverdeFORUM@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2002 7:47 AM
Subject: [capeverdeFORUM] President Pires' Pursuit
> Excerpt from CV Embassy press release on upcoming visit of President
> visit to the U.S.
> "President Pires will pursue the following objectives during his visit:
> strengthen the links between Cape Verde and its Diaspora while
> the unity of the people of Cape Verde as a global nation; promote the
> of Cape Verde as a country which has used efficiently and effectively the
> development aid to become one of the fastest growing economy in West
> reaffirm the commitment of the Government of Cape Verde to support all
> international efforts and initiatives aiming at Peace and Development in
> Africa and in the World, and create a political environment for the
> development of business between the USA and Cape Verde while improving
> cultural ties and understanding between the two countries."
> (full text at -
> http://www.umassd.edu/SpecialPrograms/caboverde/announcements.html )
> Interpreting this to mean that President Pires is vitally interested in
> CVA's have to say and contribute about such matters, I posed the "just
> curious" message of the other day. I would think that some good input in
> this regard, and maybe a little discussion, prior to his visit, could only
> help that visit, and his pursuit, to be even more successful, meaningful,
> and productive.
> (Of course, if they locked some young government employee in Praia in a
> and ordered him/her to translate the text of the "Grand Plan" into English
> and email it over here pronto, I think that would even make it "mo'
> Richard Leary
> For more information: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/capeverdeforum
> Post message: email@example.com
> Subscribe: firstname.lastname@example.org
> Unsubscribe: email@example.com
> List owner: firstname.lastname@example.org
> Review messages: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/capeverdeforum/messages
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
For more information: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/capeverdeforum
Post message: email@example.com
List owner: firstname.lastname@example.org
Review messages: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/capeverdeforum/messages
Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
Do You Yahoo!?
Sign-up for Video Highlights of 2002 FIFA World Cup
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]