Case Study - The Ballot, the Buck, the Book....and the Back Room

  • Richard Leary
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2002
      From the editorial page of this morning's Standard-Times (New Bedford,
      Massachusetts, USA)

      http://opinion.southcoasttoday.com/

      The vision for the city is at stake today

      Today is the day to leave work early so that you can be at a crucially
      important New Bedford School Committee meeting -- at 4:30 p.m. at Hathaway
      School on Court Street.

      At stake is the vision of the city and what is possible for our 14,500
      students who attend city's schools and make up nearly a third of all young
      people in this region.

      The majority of the members of the superintendent search committee have
      sent a strong message to the School Committee that what is needed is a
      change agent, a new leader who has the skills, intelligence and a proven
      record to address structural problems in a city school system -- problems
      that contribute to a high drop out rate and the failure of nearly half of
      last year's 10th graders to pass a state standardized test.

      But ominous rumbles are being heard that there is an effort to sink the
      process and disregard the recommendations of the search committee.

      Kevin J. Finnerty, who served on the search committee and is on the School
      Committee, has made surprisingly critical remarks about the search
      committee -- a group of citizens who represent the diverse parent, business,
      education and political communities in the city.

      One would hope Mr. Finnerty, who is a cousin of the wife of one of the
      contenders for the job, would be eager to rise above petty parochialism.

      The search committee recommended two women as finalists, both from outside
      the city. The majority of the committee said these two women were so much
      stronger than the other contenders.

      It is time for Mayor Kalisz, the ex-officio chairman of the school
      committee, and committee members J. Mark Treadup and Eric Pope to urge their
      fellow committee members to respect the public process aimed at finding the
      best possible superintendent.

      And it is a chance for Eric Pope, the newest member of the committee, to
      shine in his own Cape Verdean-American community that turned out in large
      numbers on Monday to support the search process.

      The big question is will this city remain a backwater, afraid of welcoming
      new ideas and new leaders at the helm of its troubled school system. Or will
      it step boldly into the future and seek the strong leadership needed to give
      its children the best opportunity for success in life.

      Also, Dick White's column: School Committee up to same old tricks -
      http://www.s-t.com/daily/05-02/05-02-02/a04lo025.htm
    • Dawn Thomas
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2, 2002
        Thanks, Richard, for sending us this editorial. It is so important that the
        C.V. community stay informed and involved in this process.

        I am very much looking forward to returning to New Bedford and particularly
        to becoming part of the public educational system. Positive change for the
        children of New Bedford can only come about when the entire community is an
        integral part of the process to analyze issues and impact policies that will
        lead to success for all children.
        This takes courage, committment, and perseverence. It sounds like folks in
        the C.V. community are involved. That pleases me.

        Dawn

      • novasintra
        Message 3 of 3 , May 6, 2002
          Some folks are working for positive change. Some folks do the bidding
          of the powers that be. Lots of folks are indifferent. We'll see how
          this plays out. I can't fully understand the degree of surprise and
          shock expressed by some at the machinations of the school committee.
          This is the way it's all operated for years. Although, with their
          latest maneuver, their disregard for the public seems to have reached
          an all time extreme.

          I'll leave it to someone else to provide us all with the email
          addresses of Mayor Kalisz, the school committee members (including
          new member Eric Pope who so far has avoided being grouped with
          the "Gang of Four"),and the city councilors (particularly Jo Jo
          Fortes and Brian Gomes.

          Perhaps someone might wish to email something to some of these folks,
          be it a question, a statement, whatever, and cc the Forum so we might
          find out more about what your are thinking and what our elected
          officials are thinking and doing for us.

          By the way, being a New Bedford City Councillor pays $14k a year.

          Not bad, but a mere pittance compared to what some of the well-
          connected and well-placed get paid for part-time work by you, the
          chump ..I mean taxpayer.

          Richard Leary