AMERICAN CABOVERDEANO

  • Ed Andrade
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 12, 2012
      AMERICAN CABOVERDEANOA Memoir By Ed Andrade
      In The Beginning (1st & 2nd Paragraphs)
      From a remote spot on the globe and at the cross roads for adventurers like Sir Francis Drake and explorers Vasco da Gama and Ferdinand Magellan, amongst others, my ancestors have contributed, through me and others, to social change and progress in one of the world’s super powers - America. Even an unknown, undersized land can contribute, if only in a small but unique way, to the progress of a major country. How did this happen?
      At the end of the 19th Century and the beginning of the 20th Century, during a time of great mass immigration, my paternal grandfather Alberto Andrade, my paternal grandmother Brazina Pina, my maternal grandfather, Jose Joao Vasconcellos Araujo Falcao, and my maternal great grandmother, Francisca Britto Baptiste, with her daughter, Carlota Leitao Britto Baptiste, arrived into the United States from the Cape Verde Islands, West Africa. They traveled aboard small schooner-type ships on a dangerous, arduous, 30 – 40 day ocean trip to escape from a small, virtually barren island and a difficult, limited life. Because of their determination for a better existence, they created the basis for my way of life in this vast and prosperous country of the United States full of wonderful benefits which I have enjoyed until the present. How lucky I am. The realization that I am their descendent, a Cape Verdean American, fills me with enormous pride; they are my heroes!
      www.americancaboverdeano.com