Ernestina Plight/Discussion

  • bjmonteiro@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2006
      Lumumba, I thank God every day for the "gift" many of us who sign on to this web site have of being "voices" to the voiceless... thank you for the compliment but it belongs to ALL of us, such as yourself, who are brave and wise enough to know that this sort of discussion empowers us all!!!  Muito Obrigdo/a

      The Ernestina's plight, you may be exactly right, is one that the generation before this had siezed, and effectively handled prior to this.  That generation is getting older, the story is beginning to be lost and it is imperative for today's movers and shakers to be "reminded" of her legacy and the immediate need for funding and "lobbying" to keep her afloat.  As most of you know, some even better than I, the Schooner was a "gift" to the United States/State of Massachusetts in the 80's from the Rebuplic of Cape Verde.  It is docked in the New Bedford harbor and has been used as a "floating classroom" for the past 10 years.  My dear "sister" in Anthropology and CV culture, Traudi Coli is well known to most as being more knowledgeable on CV heritage/family connections that many of us American-born CV's and she was laid off from her 10-year position last year due to State "budget cuts"... as were the entire crew... including myself who was serving as Coordinator for the Whaling Museum/Oceanariam-sponsored, Federally-funded (through a No Child Left Behind grant) called the ECHO program (Education through Cultural and Historical Organizations).  This program helped over 6000 school children and adults take a "virtual tour" of the whaling/schooner industry's path from Cape Verde to New Bedford to Hawaii to Alaska.  It received RAVE reviews from N.B. to Boston to D.C. /the other states it taught about...and back!!!  How could such an important classroom, through such a uniquely Historical Vessel... be just "docked" due to lack of funding.  How can we help resurrect this sort of program and ... as the Blog said... Where is the support from the CV community AND the community At Large????  This historical Icon from Cape  Verde should not be so disrespected, yet I've been e-mailing this sort of plea for a year... and other than some folks in New Bedford, it has mostly landed on deaf ears.   Any suggestions????   Anyone?????

    • Richard Leary
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2006
        There were three CVA's on the New Bedford City Council (Gomes, Fortes,
        Carney). Now, with new elections, there are two (Gomes, Pina). There are
        two CVA's on the school committee (Pope, Silva). This is a lot of
        representation, at least nominally anyway. Are they speaking loudly on
        behalf of the Ernestina?

        Remember the Morgan.

        Richard Leary

      • rleary777@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2006
          Is Common Threads New Bedford doing anything about Ernestina? Does Common Threads New Bedford or equivalent still exist?

          From: Richard Leary <rleary@...>

        • bjmonteiro@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
            Sorry to say...but that has been my problem with Common Threads for quite some time...which is why I did not participate in the past one.  I am not sure what continues after the "local" celebration.  With all due respect to all who plan the program...and to those who have been part of the board since So Sabi!

            I dropped out 3 years ago due to disillusionment.  I loved the commaraderie and grass roots feel of So Sabi!.  When we took it "on the road" - so to speak - it was supposedly to reach greater heights, by reaching a greater audience than just those who were able to get to the Boston Center for the Arts.  However, when it became more a "regional" celebration than a global one... it lost some meaning for me...and unfortunately some of the "commeraderie".  It became a "local" show with little outreach and appreciation of "other" cities'... and, to me.. it lost some of it's unity.  Once it "appears" in a city, it seems to lose those participants when it goes to another city..

            I was hoping for a cumulative effect, but it has become Regional.. for that one year and nothing more is done on it within that particular community.  Where is the follow-up?  In Boston, Brockton, New Bedford AND Providence? (Not with the Leaders/ founders of CT, such as Gunga, Dawna, Claire, etc. they keep reminding all of the mission... but each time I went to the representative City, I felt less inclusive and more a one-city show.  It is the age-old problem amongst CV's not to support each other... when will we learn?    Barbara