More Info about Thursday's event

  • jfordhill
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 21, 2009
      If you are planning on attending the event on Thursday at 11:30 and you haven't RSVP'ed yet, please reply to this email so we can arrange for lunch and put you on the security list at our host facility.

      Attendees need to check in at the security desk when they enter
      the building.  If we provide the security guard with the names of the
      attendees ahead of time, then they will not have to sign in.

      The meeting will be on the 5th floor.  When attendees enter the building, they are on the 3rd floor.  This is always confusing when leaving the building.  Most folks go down to the first floor and then back up to the 3 rd .

      So far I have 0 requests for vegetarian lunches. Please let me know if you'd like a vegetarian lunch.

      Incorporating Database Security into the SOC/NOC

      - presented by Mel Shakir of NitroSecurity

      DATE: Thursday, Sep 24, 2009
      TIME: 11:30 am - 1:00 pm
      PLACE: Proassurance, FREE PARKING
      LUNCH: Provided by NitroSecurity (catered by Newks)
      RSVP REQUIRED: Yes

      Presentation Overview

      Topic: Incorporating Database Security into the SOC/NOC

      Presenter: Mehlam Shakir

      Abstract: Database security is often viewed as requiring special skills and dedicated resources to meet regulatory and security objectives making it more expensive and harder to implement as part of the overall corporate compliance and security initiative.

      Mel Shakir, CTO of NitroSecurity and architect of the NitroView Database Monitor solution will discuss the progress in the database activity monitoring (DAM) space, why not to treat database security as a point solution, and, how to leverage existing SOC/NOC resources to provide comprehensive database security and incidence response.

      Presenter's Bio

      Mel Shakir
      CTO and Software Architect
      NitroSecurity

      Bio

      Over the past 15 years Mehlam Shakir (Mel) has held key technology management positions and acquired broad experience in all aspects of developing and bringing software technology solutions to market. Mel presently serves as CTO of NitroSecurity. Other key positions held by Mel were CTO of RippleTech, Founder and Chief Architect of Incache and Consultant at Goldman Sachs. Mel master-minded development of the award winning database security solution (now NitroView DBM) at Incache which culminated in an acquisition first by RippleTech and later by NitroSecurity.

      Specialties

      Mel's specialty is information security and he is a recognized leader in database security. Mel speaks and writes regularly on the subject and has an active blog at http://logdam.com/. Mel has a keen interest in open-source technologies, which he follows as a hobby and utilizes for developing new products and solutions.

      DIRECTIONS

      Proassurance
      100 Brookwood Pl.
      Birmingham, AL 35209

      http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=proassurance,+100+Brookwood+Place,+Birmingham,+AL+3

      5209&sll=33.475268,-86.773281&sspn=0.08491,0.147114&ie=UTF8&ll=33.465495,-86.773217&spn=0.010615,0.018389&t=h&z=16

      Attendees need to check in at the security desk when they enter the building.

      The meeting will be on the 5th floor.  When attendees enter the building, they are on the 3rd floor.  This is always confusing when leaving the building.  Most folks go down to the first floor and then back up to the 3rd.

      Parking

      Free Parking adjacent to the building.

      ---
      I hope to see you all there.