Why eat leftover tuna? (Monday, Aug 24th @ 11:00am)

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19 6:17 AM
      (WARNING: This message contains friendly banter.)

      Hey, Craig Shallahamer (tuning expert and Oracle author) is a great headliner for our next event on Monday, August 24th @ 11:00am, but Dean Richards from Confio Software isn't too bad as a warm-up act. In fact, last night I learned that Dean Richards will be doing the local SQL Server user group gig on Tuesday evening. But here's my question: Why would you want leftover Tuna Helper when you can get fresh made? And on top of that, with a database with REAL wait event tracking and where the Confio software was born?

      Don't miss this event. We will start promptly at 11:00am and lunch will be provided by a local organization that I can't reveal just yet.

      Please just reply to this message to RSVP. (Yes, even if you think I know you are coming and even if you are involved in the event in some way, but not if you have already RSVP'ed.)

      Tuna Helper - Proven Process for Tuning SQL
      Dean Richards, Confio Software

      Many DBAs and Developers are faced with tuning poorly performing SQL statements. However, many tuning projects fail because the process being used is inefficient. This presentation will walk through a process Confio Software uses with great success and will include topics such as: indexing strategies, use of histograms, SQL wait event data, column selectivity and several more that will help you succeed on future tuning projects.

      DATE: Monday, August 24, 2009
      TIME: 11:00 am - 1:30 pm or so
      PLACE: UAB Cudworth Hall (1919 University Blvd.) , Room 140
      LUNCH: Provided by the "mystery" organization
      RSVP REQUIRED: Yes

      DIRECTIONS
      UAB Cudworth Hall is at 1919 University Blvd. (between 19th and 20th Street on 8th Ave South).
      Here's a link to a map to help you reach Cudworth Hall:
      http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=1919+University+blvd.,+birmingham,+al&sll=33.510628,-
      86.804867&sspn=0.031989,0.055962&ie=UTF8&ll=33.506459,-86.799245&spn=0.007998,0.01399&z=16

      Parking
      Public parking is adjacent to the building at $1.00/hour. If you have easy access to the Birmingham transit system, they drop off at they corner of 8th and
      20th Street (25 cents to ride one way). http://main.uab.edu/show.asp?durki=45226

      ---
      I hope to see you all there.
      Central Alabama Oracle Users Group