Re: Next CAOUG event - June 18th

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 8, 2009
      If you would like to attend the event but you don't want to give your info to NetApp, just reply to this message to let me know you will be there so we can get an accurate count for lunch.

      Thursday, June 18, 2009

      Agenda:
      11:00 a.m. - Registration
      11:30 a.m. - Lunch (provided)
      12:00 p.m. - Presentation and Panel Discussion
      1:30 p.m. - Close and prize drawing

      Location:
      ProAssurance
      100 Brookwood Place
      Birmingham, AL 35209

      http://www-download.netapp.com/edm/gen/images/icon/arrow.gifDirections

      Attendees will be entered to win a Nintendo Wii!

      http://app.communicate.netapp.com/e/FooterImages/FooterImage1.aspx?elq=70B94E293E34432C9E1DE7CB7623764F&siteid=1184http://app.communicate.netapp.com/e/FooterImages/FooterImage2.aspx?elq=70B94E293E34432C9E1DE7CB7623764F&siteid=1184

      Go further, faster(TM)

      © 2009 NetApp | Privacy Policy | Unsubscribe | Contact Us

      495 E. Java Drive, Sunnyvale, CA 94089 USA

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 10, 2009
        Please reply by Friday if you are planning on attending.  NetApp wants to get a firm number by then.

        I suspect one thing NetApp will be discussing is "deduplication".  Here's how it was discussed in the April 13th issue of Information Week:

        Deduplication systems find and eliminate duplicate data by dividing files into chunks and looking for chunks that have the same data. The major difference is how they chunk data. The simplest method is to use fixed size chunks like disk blocks.

        NetApp's Write Anywhere File Layout, or WAFL, builds files as lists of blocks. WAFL calculates a checksum of each block, and stores it with the data, whether by a schedule or by an event like a disk reaching a utilization threshold. Blocks that have the same checksum are compared to see if they contain the same data. If they do, WAFL deletes one block and modifies the metadata of the file where the block resided. WAFL will be released as a free software upgrade later this year.

        Thanks.
        Jim