Reminder - next Oracle user group meeting - next Friday - January 19th

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2007
      If you are planning on attending and have not RSVP'ed, please reply to this message and let me know that you are coming so that we can have a good count for lunch.

      ============ ========= ========= ========= ========= ========= ===
      Welcome to My Nightmare – The Common Performance Errors
      in Oracle Databases
      - presented by Michael R. Ault of Quest Software
      ============ ========= ========= ========= ========= ========= ===

      DATE: Friday, January 19, 2007
      TIME: 11:30 am
      PLACE: Energen Corporation Conference Center
      LUNCH: Provided by Quest Software
      RSVP REQUIRED: Yes (please reply to this email to RSVP)
      ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
      Presentation Overview
      ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
      Topic:
      Welcome to My Nightmare – The Common Performance Errors in Oracle Databases
      Presenter: Michael R. Ault, Quest Software

      Abstract:
      Databases grow and change as new features are added and old ones removed or changed. However, even as things change, they remain the same in many respects. We still must index properly, set memory settings correctly and specify proper hardware. You would think that by now everyone would have a pretty good idea what an average configuration for an Oracle small, medium and large database would be, but unfortunately these classifications also undergo mutation. It wasn’t too long ago that if you used several hundred megabytes of disks you had a large database. Now of course large databases are in the terabyte and larger size range. This makes setting tuning guidelines for Oracle databases somewhat of a moving target where the rules change almost as fast as you can derive them.

      Given a changing environment for tuning Oracle is the only constant this presentation will outline the ! major issues found in the last few years while tuning several dozen different client databases in addition to methods for determining set points that take into account this changing beast that is Oracle.
      ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
      Presenter's Bio
      ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
      Michael R. Ault, Quest Software

      Following a 6 year Navy enlistment in the Nuclear Navy riding submarines, Mike began working with computers in 1980 programming in Basic and Fortran IV on the PDP-11 architecture in the nuclear industry. During ! Mike’s nuclear years he worked with PDP, IBM-PC, Osborne and later VAX-VMS and HP architectures and with the Informix and Ingres databases. Following the downturn in the nuclear industry Mike began working with Oracle as the only DBA at the Iuka, Mississippi based Advanced Solid Rocket Motor (ASRM) project for NASA in 1990. Since 1990 Mike has worked with a variety of industries both as in house and consulting talent.

      Mike has published nearly two-dozen Oracle related books including the 7.0, 8.0, 8i and 9i versions of his Oracle Administration and Management title with Wiley, the Oracle8 Black Book and Oracle DBA OCP ExamCram series (for versions 8 and 8i) with Coriolis and multiple titles including Oracle9i RAC  and Oracle10g Grid and RAC  with Rampant Technical Press. Mike has written articles for Oracle, Select, DBMS, Oracle Internals and several other database related magazines. Mike is also a frequently high-rated presenter at local, regional and international Oracle conferences such as GOUSERS, SEOUG, RMOUG, NYOUG, NCOUG, IOUG, OOW, ODTUG, UKOUG and EOUG.
      ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
      DIRECTIONS
      ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
      Energen Conference Center is on the first floor of the
      Energen Corporate building at 605 Richard Arrington Jr
      Blvd N, Birmingham, AL 35203.
      Here's a link to a map to help you reach the Energen
      facility:

      ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
      Parking
      ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
      The Energen parking deck entry is on 6th Ave. N.
      right across from the Colonial Properties parking
      deck. Just push the button at the gate and tell
      the guard that you are here for the Oracle User
      Group in the Energen Conference Center.
      NOTE: Please park on the top level.
      ---
      I hope to see you all there.
      Central Alabama Oracle User Group

      8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time