Oracle user group - next Thurday

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 15 7:17 PM
      Please try to send me your RSVP by the end of the day on Monday so that we can order the correct amount of bar-b-que chicken and pork and all the fixings.

      I'm currently running a trial on the Confio software and I believe you will find this presentation interesting and helpful.

      By the way, Confio will also be having a drawing for an iPod.

      DBA, Developer, & SA Finger Pointing:  How improper Wait
      Event analysis leads to the database blame game!
      - presented by Confio Software

      DATE: Thursday, April 20th
      TIME: 11:30 am
      PLACE: UAB, 15th St. Classroom, Room 139
      LUNCH: Full Moon Bar-b-que provided by Confio
      RSVP REQUIRED: Yes

      Presentation Overview
      In the last few years, the Oracle community has shifted
      away from count-based and ratio-based tuning to wait-event
      tuning. Unfortunately wait-event tuning is typically used
      incorrectly.  This misuse of wait-events is a key reason
      why communication between DBAs and Developers often results
      in finger pointing during performance problems.
      This session covers when wait events can be deceiving or
      inconclusive. It also covers why many tools, like Oracle
      Statspack, display wait events improperly. In some cases,
      the results of incorrectly used wait events can mislead
      organizations to launch tuning or upgrade projects that
      will have little impact.
      The last part of the presentation will be a live demo of
      Ignite for Oracle that will include performance results
      achieved from Confio customers like Nike, ESPN, Seagate
      and Nationwide Insurance.

      Presenter's Bio
      Matt Larson, CTO Confio Software

      DIRECTIONS
      15th Street Classroom Building (CB15)   806 15th Street South Room 139
      The UAB 15th Street Classroom is on 15th Street just south
      of University Blvd.  It is across University Boulevard from
      the Hill University Center.  NOTE: The portion of 15th Street
      in front of the building is being replaced with sod.  The
      front of the building faces the UAB Recreation Building.
      Here's a link to a map to help you reach the 15th Street
      Classroom facility:

      Parking
      You may find some street parking, but my recommendation
      is to use the Children's Hospital parking deck on 7th Ave S.
      It is available for $3.50 for 3 hours and $4.00 for 4 hours.

      ---
      I hope to see you all there.
      Central Alabama Oracle User Group