Book Review Program - Status

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 20, 2006
      Since we revitalized the book review program a couple
      of months ago, we have reviewed 1 book and there are 6
      reviews outstanding that should be coming in soon.

      ------------------------------
      Recent Reviews
      ------------------------------

      Raj Patel, Sr. DBA with Jefferson County, reviewed
      "Database Design for Mere Mortals: A Hands-On Guide to
      Relational Database Design" by Michael J. Hernandez
      which was published by Addison-Wesley in 2003.

      Here's an edited copy of Raj's review:

      Title: Database Design for Mere Mortals: A Hands-On
      Guide to Relational Database Design, Second Edition --
      by Michael J. Hernandez

      ISBN: 0201752840

      Book Review:
      "Database Design for Mere Mortals" is a well organized
      overview of the process of designing a relational
      database. I would also recommend it for the
      experienced database designer who needs to brush up on
      his overall skills.

      The writing style is lucid and smooth, though a little
      chatty at times. The person experienced in database
      design might find the book a little lengthy; however,
      the author assumes no previous database design
      experience, as he mentions in the introduction.
      Because it explains terms and concepts that a
      technical person will already know and does not go
      into great depth, this book is mainly targeted at
      managers and neophytes.

      The “What not to do” section in Chapter 14 is a quick
      way to identify potential design pitfalls.

      "Database Design for Mere Mortals" is recommended
      reading for a high-level introduction to database
      design. The book can also serve as refresher reading
      for those with database design experience (as in my
      case).

      ------------------------------------
      Reviews Outstanding
      ------------------------------------

      1) John Lyons of Healthsouth is reviewing "SQL Tuning"
      by Dan Tow

      2) Henry Lovoy of Healthsouth is reviewing "Oracle
      Regular Expressions Pocket Reference" by Jonathan
      Gennick & Peter Linsley

      3) Raju Patel of Jefferson County is reviewing "Oracle
      PL/SQL Programming, Fourth Edition" by Steven
      Feuerstein & Bill Pribyl

      4) Rob Ryan of Compass Bank is reviewing "Oracle
      PL/SQL Programming, Fourth Edition" by Steven
      Feuerstein & Bill Pribyl

      5) Jim Hill of Energen is reviewing "Monad,
      Introducing the MSH Command Shell and Language" by
      Andy Oakley

      6) Jim Hill of Energen is reviewing "Time Management
      for System Administrators" by Thomas A. Limoncelli

      ----------------------------------
      Books Available for Review
      ----------------------------------

      Feel free to request any book you'd like to review and
      I'll try to get it.

      See the attached spreadsheet for a current list of
      books that are available.

      If you've read a book that the CAOUG didn't provide
      and you'd like to review it, please consider sending
      the review to the CAOUG so that everyone can benefit.

      Future Events

      Watch your mailbox for an announcement about an
      upcoming event on using Regular Expressions in Oracle.

      ---

      Peace,

      http://mail.yahoo.com