Re: [Fwd: [caostheory] A new kind of periodic catenoid minimal surface tan(3*z)]

  • Roger Bagula
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4 7:09 AM
      Dear Dr. Gollek,
      Thank you very much for your answer and your work.

      I admire your work
      and reading your papers has taught me a lot about the importance
      and equations of minimal surfaces. The German school of Minimal surfaces

      with Karcher, Webber and Gollek is truly a great one.

      I believe I have developed a kind of generalized catenoid formula.
      Since, the Tan(n*z) I have found several other catenoid types that are
      periodic as well:
      (f,g)=(1/Cos[n*z]^2,Cos[n*z]) : sets of even holes
      (f,g)=(1/Sin[n*z]^2,Sin[n*z]) : sets of odd holes
      and on that this polynomial derivative like:
      (f,g)=( (n!)^2/x^(2*n),x^n/n!)
      You may enjoy experimenting with these as I have.
      Without Mathematica I would never have been able to see these surfaces.

      I also developed a four dimensional catenoid formula
      and used it to form a three dimensional projection.
      If you liked the other result , this should also make you happy.
      I started out trying to figure out how to make
      minimal surfaces that were simple, that had n ( 0r 2*n) holes in them.
      I got that as you have seen.
      I'm ,now, working on seeing if I can get higher dimensional catenoid/
      helicoids that can
      be projected onto three dimensions as I did with the four space.
      I used Peter Hennes' 6 space minimal surfaces to get a Hopf 6 map type
      last night:
      ( I believe this is an SO(6) symmetry)
      f1=-f2
      g1=-I*g2
      First the Catenoid:
      x1=(1/g^2-1)/2
      y1=*((1/g^2+1)/2
      z1=1/g
      second the Helicoid:
      x2=-(1/g^2+1)/2
      y2=-I(1/g^2-1)/2
      z2=-I/g
      These form the planes (plane waves)
      x=x1+y1+z1
      y=x2+y2+z2
      r=Sqrt[x^2+y^2)
      w=Atan(x,y)
      (f3,g3)=(Log(r),w)
      There are
      6!/(3!*3!)=20
      Combinations to give distinct planes.
      The combinations of planes are
      20!/(18!*2!)=190
      The Hopf type of equation is:
      (x1^2+y1^2+z1^2+x2^2+y2^2+z2^2)^3=x3^2+y3^2+z3^2=0
      /It seems strange ( cheating?) , but the proof it that zero equals zero
      in all cases.
      All 190 of them. So if the helicoids are electromagnetic
      and the catenoids are gravitational, there are 190
      resulting three space fields for the interaction of photons with
      gravitons.