BBC NEWS | UK | Wales | Giant trees 'to clear excess CO2'

  • Roger Bagula
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2008
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/7429562.stm
      BBC NEWS
      Giant trees 'to clear excess CO2'

      The scientist who coined the term "global warming" in the 1970s has
      proposed a radical solution to the problem of climate change.

      Wallace Broecker advocated millions of "carbon scrubbers" - giant
      artificial trees to pull CO2 from the air.

      Dr Broecker told the Hay literary festival in Powys: "We've got an
      extremely serious problem.

      He added: "It's a race against time and we are just sort of crawling
      along at a slow pace."

      He said some 20 million of the scrubbing devices would be required to
      capture all the CO2 currently produced in the US.

      Looking at countries like Germany and here in the UK the will is
      developing
      Dr Wallace Broecker

      But he told the festival: "Okay, you say that's enormous, but we make 55
      million cars a year, so if we really wanted to we could. Over 30 or 40
      years we could easily make that number."

      After addressing the festival, Dr Broecker told the BBC News website
      that 60 million of the devices would be needed worldwide at an estimated
      cost of $600bn (£303bn) a year.

      The towers would be about 50ft high and 8ft in diameter, and use a
      special type of plastic to absorb the CO2.

      The gas would then be either liquefied under pressure and pumped
      underground or turned into a mineral.

      Political will

      Dr Broecker said the most likely location for the towers would be desert
      areas of the planet.

      However, he admitted that such a project faced an uphill struggle.

      "If I were a betting man I would bet against it because I don't know if
      we have the political will to do it," he said.

      "But looking at countries like Germany and here in the UK the will is
      developing."

      He said the challenge was to get rapidly developing countries such
      China, India and Brazil behind the idea.
      Story from BBC NEWS:
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/uk_news/wales/7429562.stm

      Published: 2008/05/31 21:07:53 GMT

      © BBC MMVIII