forward: MEDIA GLOBAL WARMING ALARMISM

  • Roger Lee Bagula
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2006
      MEDIA GLOBAL WARMING ALARMISM
      Posted by: "KJ" suncanis@... suncanis
      Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:15 pm (PST)
      AMERICA REACTS TO SPEECH DEBUNKING MEDIA GLOBAL WARMING ALARMISM

      ---------------------------------
      September 28, 2006 SENATOR JAMES INHOFE, CHAIRMAN, SENATE ENVIRONMENT
      AND PUBLIC WORKS COMMITTEE SENATE FLOOR SPEECH DELIVERED THURSDAY,
      SEPTEMBER 28, 2006 Contact: Marc Morano (202) 224-5762 (
      marc_morano@... ) Matt Dempsey (
      matthew_dempsey@... ) (202) 224-9797 Click Here To Watch or
      Read Full Speech from Monday Debunking Global Warming Hysteria (
      http://epw.senate.gov/speechitem.cfm?party=rep&id=263759 ) This past
      Monday, I took to this floor for the eighth time to discuss global
      warming. My speech focused on the myths surrounding global warming and
      how our national news media has embarrassed itself with a 100-year
      documented legacy of coverage on what turned out to be trendy climate
      science theories. Over the last century, the media has flip-flopped
      between global cooling and warming scares. At the turn of the 20th
      century, the media peddled an upcoming ice age -- and they said the
      world was coming to an end. Then in the 1930s, the
      alarm was raised about disaster from global warming -- and they said the
      world was coming to an end. Then in the 70’s, an alarm for another ice
      age was raised -- and they said the world was coming to an end. And now,
      today we are back to fears of catastrophic global warming -- and again
      they are saying the world is coming to an end. Today I would like to
      share the fascinating events that have unfolded since my floor speech on
      Monday. CNN CRITICIZES MY SPEECH This morning, CNN ran a segment
      criticizing my speech on global warming and attempted to refute the
      scientific evidence I presented to counter climate fears. First off, CNN
      reporter Miles O’Brien inaccurately claimed I was “too busy” to appear
      on his program this week to discuss my 50 minute floor speech on global
      warming. But they were told I simply was not available on Tuesday or
      Wednesday. I did appear on another CNN program today -- Thursday --
      which I hope everyone will watch. The segment airs tonight on
      CNN’s Glenn Beck Show on Headline News at 7pm and repeats at 9pm and
      midnight Eastern. Second, CNN’s O’Brien falsely claimed that I was all
      “alone on Capitol Hill” when it comes to questioning global warming. Mr.
      O’Brien is obviously not aware that the U.S. Senate has overwhelmingly
      rejected Kyoto style carbon caps when it voted down the McCain-Lieberman
      climate bill 60-28 last year – an even larger margin than its rejection
      in 2003. Third, CNN’s O’Brien, claimed that my speech earlier contained
      errors regarding climate science. O’Brien said my claim that the
      Antarctic was actually cooling and gaining ice was incorrect. But both
      the journals Science and Nature have published studies recently finding
      – on balance – Antarctica is both cooling and gaining ice. CNN’s O’Brien
      also criticized me for saying polar bears are thriving in the Arctic.
      But he ignored that the person I was quoting is intimately familiar with
      the health of polar bear populations. Let me
      repeat what biologist Dr. Mitchell Taylor from the Arctic government of
      Nunavut, a territory of Canada, said recently: “Of the 13 populations of
      polar bears in Canada, 11 are stable or increasing in number. They are
      not going extinct, or even appear to be affected at present.” CNN’s
      O’Brien also ignores the fact that in the Arctic, temperatures were
      warmer in the 1930’s than today. O’Brien also claimed that the “Hockey
      Stick” temperature graph was supported by most climate scientists
      despite the fact that the National Academy of Sciences and many
      independent experts have made it clear that the Hockey Stick’s claim
      that the 1990’s was the hottest decade of the last 1000 years was
      unsupportable. So it seems my speech struck a nerve with the mainstream
      media. Their only response was to cherry pick the science in a failed
      attempt to refute me. It seems that it is business as usual for many of
      them. Sadly, it looks like my challenge to the media to be
      objective and balanced has fallen on deaf ears. SPEECH BYPASSED THE
      MAINSTREAM MEDIA Despite the traditional media’s failed attempt to
      dismiss the science I presented to counter global warming alarmism, the
      American people bypassed the tired old traditional media by watching
      CSPAN or clicking on the Drudge Report and reading the speech online.
      From the flood of overwhelming positive feedback I received, I can tell
      you the American people responded enthusiastically to my message. The
      central theme was not only one of thanks, but expressing frustration
      with the major media outlets because they knew in their guts that what
      they have been hearing in the news was false and misleading. Here is a
      brief sampling: Janet of Saugus, Massachusetts: “Thank you Senator
      Inhofe. Finally someone with the guts to stand up and call it what it is
      -- a sham. I think you have taken over Toby Keith's place as my favorite
      Oklahoman!!” Al of Clinton, Connecticut writes: “It's about
      time someone with a loud microphone spoke up on the global warming scam.
      You have courage - if only this message could get into the schools where
      kids are being brow-beaten with the fear message almost daily.” Kevin of
      Jacksonville, Florida writes: “I’m so glad that we have leaders like you
      who are willing to stand up against the onslaught of liberal media,
      Hollywood and the foolish elected officials on this topic. Please keep
      up the fight!” Steven of Phoenix, Arizona writes: “As a scientist, I am
      extremely pleased to see that there is at least one member of congress
      who recognizes the global warming hysteria for what it is. I am
      extremely impressed by the Senator's summary and wish he was running for
      President.” Craig of Grand Rapids, Michigan writes: “As a meteorologist
      I strongly agree with everything you said.” My speech ignited an
      internet firestorm. So much so, that my speech became the subject of a
      heated media controversy in New Zealand. Halfway across the
      globe, a top official from the New Zealand Climate Science Coalition
      challenged New Zealand’s television station to balance what he termed
      “alarmist doom-casting” and criticized them for failing to report the
      views of scientists in their own country that I cited here in America. (
      http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO0609/S00306.htm ) As the controversy in
      New Zealand shows, global warming hysteria has captured more than just
      the American media. The reaction to my speech keeps coming in: Just this
      morning, The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review newspaper wrote an editorial
      calling my speech “an unusual display of reason” on the Senate floor. I
      do have to give credit to another publication, Congressional Quarterly,
      or CQ for short. On Tuesday, CQ’s Toni Johnson took the issues I raised
      seriously and followed up with phone calls to scientist-turned global
      warming pop star James Hansen’s office. CQ wanted to ask Hansen about
      his quarter of a million dollar grant from the left-wing
      Heinz Foundation, whose money originated from the Heinz family ketchup
      fortune. As I have pointed out, many in the media dwell on any industry
      support given to so-called climate skeptics, but the same media
      completely fail to note Hansen’s huge grant from the partisan Heinz
      Foundation. It seems the media makes a distinction between ketchup money
      and oil money. But Hansen was unavailable to respond to CQ's questions
      about the 'Ketchup Money’ grant, which is highly unusual for a man who
      finds his way into the media on an almost daily basis. Mr. Hansen is
      always available when he is peddling his increasingly dire predictions
      of climate doom. ABC NEWS PROMOTES CLIMATE HYSTERIA I have been engaged
      in this debate for several years and believe there is a growing backlash
      of Americans rejecting what they see as climate scare tactics. And as a
      result, global warming alarmists are becoming increasingly desperate.
      Perhaps that explains why the very next day after I spoke on
      the floor, ABC News’s Bill Blakemore on Good Morning America prominently
      featured James Hansen touting future scary climate scenarios that could
      / might / possibly happen. ABC’s “modest” title for the segment was
      “Will the Earth Become Too Hot? Are Our Children in Danger?” The segment
      used all the well worn tactics from the alarmist guidebook -- warning of
      heat waves, wildfires, droughts, melting glaciers, mass extinctions
      unless mankind put itself on a starvation energy diet and taxed
      emissions. But that’s no surprise – Blakemore was already on the record
      declaring “After extensive searches, ABC News has found no such
      [scientific] debate” about manmade catastrophic global warming. (
      http://abcnews.go.com/US/print?id=2374968 ) You have to be a pretty poor
      investigator to believe that. Why would 60 prominent scientists this
      last spring have written Canadian Prime Minister Harper that “If, back
      in the mid-1990s, we knew what we know today about climate, Kyoto would
      almost certainly not exist, because we would have concluded it was not
      necessary.” (
      http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/financialpost/story.html?id=3711460e-bd5a-475d-a6be-4db87559d605
      ) On Tuesday’s program, the ABC News anchor referred to Blakemore as
      “passionate” about global warming. “Passionate” is one word to describe
      that kind of reporting, but words like objectivity or balance are not. I
      believe it’s these kinds of stories which explain why the American
      public is growing increasingly skeptical of the hype. Despite the
      enormous 2006 media campaign to instill fear into the public, the number
      of people who believe that weather naturally changes -- is increasing. A
      Los Angeles Times/Bloomberg poll in August found that most Americans do
      not attribute the cause of recent severe weather events to global
      warming, and the portion of Americans who believe that climate change is
      due to natural variability has increased over 50% in the last five
      years. Given the
      diminishing importance of the mainstream media, I expect that trend to
      continue. I hope my other colleagues will join me on the floor and start
      speaking out to debunk hysteria surrounding global warming. This issue
      is too important to our generation and future generations to allow
      distortions and media propaganda to derail the economic health of our
      nation.