[Fwd: Subject: ARTICLES - Part (1/5) of UK Nonlinear News]

  • Roger L. Bagula
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2004
      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: Subject: ARTICLES - Part (1/5) of UK Nonlinear News
      Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 15:27:45 +0100
      From: UK Nonlinear News <uk-nonl@...>
      Newsgroups: sci.nonlinear

      Subject: ARTICLES - Part (1/5) of UK Nonlinear News

      UK Nonlinear News, August 2004

      Articles and Reviews

      * Book Review: Simulating, Analyzing, and Animating Dynamical
      Systems. A
      Guide to XPPAUT for Researchers and Students .
      Reviewed by Harvinder Sidhu.
      * Book Review: Critical Phenomena in Natural Sciences. Chaos,
      Fractals,
      Selforganization and Disorder: Concepts and Tools .
      Reviewed by Henrik Jensen.
      * Boor Review: Weighing the Odds: A Course in Probability and
      Statistics
      Reviewed by Jaroslav Stark
      * Book Review: Nonlinear Dynamics in Physiology and Medicine
      Reviewed by Alona Ben-Tal
      * Report: Noisy Oscillators - Workshop on the Dynamics of Coupled
      Oscillatory & Complex Systems
      By Peter V.E. McClintock
      * Report: Modelling of Neuronal Dendritic Trees
      By Yulia Timofeeva
      * A listing of reviews of nonlinear books can be found at

      http://www.amsta.leeds.ac.uk/Applied/news.dir/issue7.dir/art/books.html
      (this article is periodically updated).
      * An index of UK Nonlinear News can be found at

      http://www.amsta.leeds.ac.uk/Applied/news.dir/uknonl-index.html.

      Simulating, Analyzing, and Animating Dynamical Systems. A Guide to
      XPPAUT
      for Researchers and Students

      Bard Ermentrout

      Reviewed by Harvinder Sidhu

      SIAM. Softback, 290 pages.
      ISBN: 0-89871-506-7.

      Researchers in diverse areas such as Biology, Physics, Engineering etc
      are
      constantly investigating nonlinear phenomena in order to understand the
      behaviour of their specific physical system. Furthermore, nonlinear
      dynamics
      is now an integral part of many undergraduate Mathematics and Physics
      curricula in universities all over the world. Summer schools in areas
      such
      as ecology, physiology, medicine etc have also devoted much time to
      exploring nonlinear phenomena. Regardless of the application, the most
      important issue in the understanding of nonlinear behaviour is the
      combination of both analytical and computational techniques. However, a
      significant number of researchers and students from these diverse fields
      may
      have insufficient computational background to program in MATLAB, MAPLE,
      MATHEMATICA etc to solve the governing equations for the system that
      they
      are modelling. This is where XPPAUT is extremely useful. Bard
      Ermentrout,
      the author of this book and the developer of the software, states that
      XPPAUT offers several advantages over the above-mentioned softwares.
      These
      include:

      * a simple syntax for setting up various systems of equations such as

      ODEs, maps and some PDEs,
      * a convenient interface with AUTO - a powerful continuation and
      bifurcation package,
      * free downloading of the source code.

      I must concur with Bard regarding the advantages of XPPAUT and see these
      as
      compelling reasons for anyone interested in studying nonlinear dynamics
      use this software. Personally I feel that XPPAUT is an excellent
      software
      for both researchers and students. Prior to reviewing this book, I have
      always used MATLAB and AUTO in my research. However, I am now a
      ``convert''
      and have begun to use XPPAUT extensively in both my research and
      teaching of
      dynamical systems. I must now stop talking about the software and
      proceed to
      review this book, although I find it very difficult to divorce one from
      the
      other.

      The book consists of nine chapters and seven appendices. The author is
      to be
      commended for his excellent organization of the subject matter and his
      clarity in writing. I found the background of the physical models used
      illustrate particular aspects of XPPAUT to be extremely refreshing.
      Although
      contrived examples are often used in books, this is not the case here.

      The author begins with a useful explanation of how to install the
      package on
      computers with various operating systems. Chapter 2 explains the basics
      of
      creating an ODE file and solving the system and plotting the solutions.
      Due
      to the simplicity of the package, chapter 2 provides the reader with
      sufficient information to analyse their own system using XPPAUT. Chapter
      3
      provides a more detailed explanation of the syntax of the ODE files.
      Here
      the author explains how to set up user-defined functions as well as the
      handling of discontinuous differential equations in XPPAUT. Chapter 4
      which
      is aptly entitled ``XPPAUT in the Classroom'' is one of the most useful
      chapters in the book. The chapter begins by showing how XPPAUT can be
      used
      to plot functions, before focussing on one-dimensional maps. Here the
      author
      shows how to obtain cobweb diagrams, bifurcation diagrams, liapunov
      exponents, and the devil's staircase for such maps. The final part of
      this
      chapter is dedicated to nonlinear differential equations. The author
      explains very clearly how three- and higher-dimensional dynamical
      systems
      can be analysed using this package. Chapter 5 explains how to define ODE

      files for ``more complicated model systems'' such as systems with delay,

      integral equations, stochastic equations and differential algebraic
      equations. Chapter 6 focuses on the use of XPPAUT to solve boundary
      value
      problems and special cases of spatially distributed systems. I was very
      impressed with the ease with which the governing equations can be set up
      for
      such systems using XPPAUT. Chapter 7 is one of the major chapters as it
      clearly explains how to use XPPAUT's simple interface to the
      continuation
      package AUTO. Although I have previously used AUTO, I found the XPPAUT's

      interface much easier to use. Animating systems is the focus of chapter
      8.
      Even I was able to produce good quality animations for some of my
      systems by
      following the author's clear step-by-step instructions and examples.
      Finally, chapter 9 is aptly entitled ``Tricks and Advanced Methods'' as
      it
      provides users with very useful tips including exporting data, linking
      with
      external C routines, and numerous other ways in which ``tricky'' systems
      or
      situations can be handled.

      Overall I believe that this is an excellent book for researchers and
      students who are interested in learning how to analyse dynamical systems

      using XPPAUT -- a powerful, simple-to-use and free software package. By
      using this book readers will be able to discover the software's full
      range
      of capabilities, and like me, they will certainly be impressed.

      UK Nonlinear News would like to thank SIAM for providing a review copy
      of
      this book.

      Critical Phenomena in Natural Sciences. Chaos, Fractals,
      Selforganization
      and Disorder: Concepts and Tools

      By Didier Sornette.

      Reviewed by Henrik Jensen

      Springer, 2nd ed. 2004, 102 figs, 528pp., EUR 79.95, GBP 61.50, US $
      99.00
      Hardcover, ISBN 3-540-40754-5

      This is an extremely impressive and comprehensive review of large areas
      of
      research into the collective behaviour of systems with many degrees of
      freedom. The author, Didier Sornette, is an exceptionally productive
      researcher who has contributed to most of the topics covered in the
      book.
      This doesn't by any means imply that the presentation is limited to
      Sornette's own work. On the contrary vast numbers of models and
      approaches
      are discussed in remarkable detail. The reference list contains a
      staggering
      1067 items. One gets the impression that Sornette knows these references
      in
      and out and presents the reader with a digested explanation of the
      essential
      content of this huge list of papers and books.

      The book does what the title promises, namely equip the reader with an
      arsenal of concepts and tools which will be a great help when reading
      the
      research literature or attacking research problems in the field of, what
      one
      might call, applied statistical mechanics. The focus is - again as the
      title
      implies - on the correlated behaviour of systems with many components.
      The
      term criticality is meant to imply that essential correlations exist
      between
      the different parts of the system and, hence, its behaviour cannot be
      deduced by a simple summation of the properties of the individual
      components.

      The tools and concepts supplied include a basic and worthwhile
      introduction
      to statistics. The first chapter introduces the very foundation of
      probability theory with a refreshing discussion of the frequency
      interpretation contrary to the Bayesian school. The material is
      organised in
      an unusual but very effective manner with an emphasis on characteristic
      functions, moments and cumulants. I like very much the discussion of
      Extreme
      Value Statistics and Large Deviations in Chap. 1 and 3 sandwiching the
      obligatory discussion of the Central Limit Theorem in Chap. 2. The
      peculiarities of power law distributions (Levy Laws) are detailed in
      Chap.
      4, Fractals and Multifractals are explained with great lucidity in Chap.
      5.
      Chap. 6 rounds off the mathematical tool box with a discussion of
      Rank-Ordering Statistics and Heavy Tails, topics which are central to
      the
      current activities in complex systems research.

      The remaining 11 Chapters are concerned with physics concepts and
      models. A
      broad range of very relevant topics are covered: the relevance of the
      temperature concept to out-of-equilibrium systems, the role of
      long-range
      correlations and phase transitions. The latter is the prototype example
      of
      macroscopic coherent behaviour in physics; here the concept and its
      mathematical description are explained at a level that should be
      accessible
      to readers with no physics background. Two more methods chapters follow:
      one
      from dynamical systems theory on bifurcations and one from statistical
      mechanics on The Renormalisation Group.

      Chaps. 12 and 13 present two important models: The percolation model
      which
      is a paradigmatic model from statistical mechanics and the Rupture
      Model,
      which is an interesting model with a special appeal to materials
      scientists
      and geo-physicists. Chap. 14 and 15 contains probably the material with
      widest current appeal and inspiration. Back in 1987 Bak, Tang and
      Wiesenfeld
      published a paper in which they introduced the concept of Self-Organized

      Criticality which they suggested to be the generic explanation of the
      power
      laws characterising many natural phenomena. This inspired a huge
      research
      effort which is still very active. Sornette devotes Chap. 14 to a
      detailed
      discussion of a large number of mechanisms that may lead to power laws
      and
      focus next on specific Self-Organized Criticality models in Chap. 15. I
      find
      these two chapters to be very useful nearly up-to-date summaries of the
      present research situation.

      The book's two last chapters contains for completeness discussions of
      random
      systems. Again well introduced and well explain material.

      This book is a treasure horn. Without assuming much mathematical
      background
      Sornette manages to supply the reader with the most essential
      mathematical
      tools and scientific concepts to be able to participate in the current
      research effort on developing mathematical modelling and understanding
      of
      extended system in which the behaviour is a result of cooperative
      interaction between the components. A very good book to have in the bag!

      This is the second edition and it is even by Springer, it therefore
      surprises me that there are small mistakes here and there. None of these
      are
      essential; a few might cause momentarily confusion for the reader
      unfamiliar
      with the material - I wonder if the copy editing has been sufficiently
      careful? Last point, do we use British or American spelling? Or both
      perhaps? I found on p. 96 line 9 and 11 a certain amount of oscillation
      between the two conventions. This is of course not important, but nor is
      it
      elegant.

      Weighing the Odds: A Course in Probability and Statistics

      D. Williams

      Reviewed by Jaroslav Stark

      Cambridge University Press 2001, 0-521-00618, 566 pages.
      £26 (paperback); £75 (hardback)
      ISBN: 0-521-80356

      As those who have read some of my other book reviews in UK Nonlinear
      News
      will know, one of my key concerns about the state of the mathematical
      sciences today is the gulf that exists between applied mathematics and
      statistics. I find it astonishing that someone can get a 1st class
      degree in
      Applied Mathematics from almost any university in the UK (and most other

      countries) but when confronted by real data will have practically no
      idea
      how to compare it to a mathematical model. Conversely, modern statistics

      concentrates primarily on developing ever more sophisticated techniques
      for
      fitting and comparing models which from an applied mathematics
      perspective
      (and particularly from a nonlinear dynamics point of view) are rather
      simplistic. As a consequence, ask either an applied mathematician or a
      statistician how to fit data to a set of coupled nonlinear differential
      equations and, with a few notable exceptions, you are likely to be met
      by a
      puzzled shrug of the shoulders.

      I was thus intrigued to find a close parallel in the mischievous first
      sentence of the volume under review:

      Probability and Statistics used to be married; then they
      separated; then they got divorced; now they hardly ever see each
      other.

      The book?s stated aim is to provide support for a much-needed
      reconciliation. As a, perhaps unintended, by-product the book?s unusual
      approach and entertaining style results in an introduction to statistics

      which is unusually accessible to an applied mathematics audience. As an
      added bonus, the final chapter on quantum probability and computing will
      be
      of interest to anyone with a physics background. I doubt that there is
      another book anywhere that manages to combine topics as diverse as ANOVA
      and
      quantum entanglement in such an effortless way. Essentially no prior
      knowledge is assumed in either probability or statistics, resulting in a

      work that is suitable for a very wide range of backgrounds.

      Given the author?s background, the underlying emphasis is on concepts in

      probability, ranging from an intuitive first introduction to topics as
      advanced as martingales. This gives the volume a strong mathematical
      flavour, with analysis and linear algebra playing a key role.
      Statistical
      ideas are introduced gradually, and the author maintains a balance
      between
      the traditional frequentist approach and the Bayesian point of view. I
      suspect that he himself is more inclined philosophically towards the
      latter,
      but he is not above criticizing a pure Bayesian methodology where
      appropriate. One interesting aspect is his strong dislike of hypothesis
      testing, and preference for reporting confidence intervals of estimated
      parameters instead. This is a point of view that I increasingly sense in

      modern statistics, and it is useful to have it argued here so
      persuasively.

      A variety of other thought provoking and probably controversial ideas
      are
      sprinkled throughout the book, always presented in a lively and
      challenging
      manner. This makes for a very readable book, from which I learned a
      great
      deal and into which I have been continuously dipping since I finished
      it. I
      would recommend it to anyone, from final year undergraduate, to an
      established researcher in nonlinear science. They might be surprised how

      interesting statistics can be, and perhaps respond more positively next
      time
      they are asked to fit data to a model.

      UK Nonlinear News would like to thank Cambridge University Press for
      providing a copy of this volume for review.

      Nonlinear Dynamics in Physiology and Medicine

      Ann Beuter, Leon Glass, Michael C. Mackey and Michèle S. Titcombe
      (editors),

      Reviewed by Alona Ben-Tal

      Springer-Verlag, Interdisciplinary Applied Mathematics, Volume 25, 2003,
      434
      pages, 162 illustrations, Hardcover.
      ISBN: 0-387-00449-1

      I was delighted when the book "Nonlinear Dynamics in Physiology and
      Medicine" arrived in the mail. This pleasant looking book is the most
      recent
      volume of the Interdisciplinary Applied Mathematics series by
      Springer-Verlag and since I know some other books in this series (for
      example, [1], [2], [3]) I looked forward to reading this new addition.

      The book has evolved out of notes written in three summer schools
      organized
      by The Centre for Nonlinear Dynamics in Physiology and Medicine at
      McGill
      University. The summer schools were held in 1996, 1997 and 2000. The
      result
      is an edited book with 12 contributors (mentioned later) that contains
      cutting edge subjects of research and (perhaps not surprisingly)
      reflects
      mainly the work done by the McGill group.

      Chapter 1, by M. C. Mackey and A. Beuter, gives "A wee bit of history to

      motivate things". The chapter contains some interesting examples showing
      the
      role mathematics has played in the life sciences and vice versa (but see

      also: highlights of a keynote address by Dr. Joel Cohen "Mathematics Is
      Biology's Next Microscope, Only Better; Biology Is Mathematics' Next
      Physics, Only Better." http://www.bisti.nih.gov/mathregistration/ ).

      Chapter 2, by J. Bélair and L. Glass, "Introduction to Dynamics in
      Nonlinear
      Difference and Differential Equations", has nice examples of nonlinear
      phenomena seen in physiological systems, among them, the co-existence of
      two
      stable states in the human heart. Overall it is a reasonable
      introduction to
      the field but I was disappointed to find the following statement (given
      in
      p. 17 when the authors discuss the period three window seen in the
      logistic
      map):

      ..."So why did Li and Yorke (1975) claim "period three implies chaos"?
      (Li
      and York 1975). The answer lies in the definition of chaos. For Li and
      Yorke, chaos meant an infinite number of cycles ....That definition does
      not
      involve the stability of the cycles."

      In the context of the book it is not clear that "claim" actually means
      "proved" [4]. I also thought that for the purposes of the book it would
      have
      been sufficient to give an intuitive definition of chaos, as the authors
      did
      on p. 16, skip the exact definitions of chaos altogether and refer the
      reader to a technical definition of chaos, given for example in [5, 6].
      But
      isn't this an example where mathematics is a better microscope? We KNOW
      that
      an unstable chaotic solution exists even though we cannot observe it. I
      felt
      that a student reading this statement (and others on the definition of
      chaos) may get the wrong impression that only the observable solutions
      are
      important (and see for example, [7]).

      Chapter 3, by M. R. Guevara, is another introductory chapter to
      non-linear
      dynamics and contains some very nice examples of non-linear phenomena in

      physiology. Chapter 4, also by M. R. Guevara gives a nice introduction
      the Hodgkin-Huxley equations and serves as a specific example to
      illustrate
      the subjects covered in Chapter 3.

      Chapter 5, by L. Glass looks at periodic solutions and the phenomena
      seen
      when an oscillating autonomous system is forced by a single stimulus or
      by
      periodic train of stimuli. A related subject, "Reentry in Excitable
      Media",
      is presented in Chapter 7 by M. Courtemanche and A. Vinet. Chapter 7
      describes the dynamics of excitable cardiac cell by three families of
      models: Cellular Automata, delay equations and partial differential
      equations.

      The important subject "Effects of Noise on Nonlinear Dynamics" is
      covered in
      Chapter 6 by A. Longtin. Different kinds of noise are discussed.
      Postponement of a Hopf bifurcation is demonstrated in a first order
      delayed
      equation (model for a pupil light reflex) and the phenomenon of
      stochastic
      phase locking (usually known as "skipping") is described. The phenomenon
      of
      bursting as a result of noise is also presented but, to my
      disappointment,
      there is no discussion (or even mention) of bursting without noise.

      It seemed natural to me to read next Chapter 9 by J. Milton. This is a
      nice
      chapter that describes the pupil light reflex. I thought that there is a

      good balance here between physiology and mathematics but there is a
      relatively large number of typos.

      I next read Chapter 10 by A. Beuter, R. Edwards and M. S. Titcombe
      describing the interesting phenomenon of tremor (an approximately
      rhythmical
      movement of a body part). I thought it was interesting that the Van der
      Pol
      equation was proposed as a model for Parkinsonian tremor but there is
      hardly
      any discussion at all about this model. A six-unit Hopfield-type neural
      network model is discussed here in more detail.

      Finally, I made my way through the jargon of Chapter 8 (granulopoiesis,
      erythroid precursors, erythropoietin, neutrophil, am I reading English?,

      megakaryocytic, eosinophil, reticulocyte, idiopathic, promyelocytes, the

      list goes on, see http://cancerweb.ncl.ac.uk/omd/ for an On-Line Medical

      Dictionary). Chapter 8 by M. C. Mackey, C. Haurie and J. Bélair
      describes
      the control of blood cell production. Here you can find more examples of

      periodic behaviour on the scale of days that arise from Hopf
      bifurcations in
      delay equations.

      Throughout the book experimental results are presented and the authors
      share
      with the readers the joys and sorrows of dealing with real data
      including
      some practical aspects of estimating parameters (for example, a useful
      tip
      on obtaining data from published graphs by using Ghostview is given in
      Chapter 8 p. 248). All the chapters contain computer exercises with
      source
      codes and data files that are available on line at
      http://www.cnd.mcgill.ca/books_nonlinear.html. The book also has three
      appendixes (an introduction to XPP, an introduction to Matlab and time
      series analysis) which I found handy. But the book lacks the coherence
      and
      general perspective that a single authored book has (despite the noted
      effort by the authors). Still, this is a stimulating book. I don't
      recommend
      it as a text book but certainly as a research and teaching resource.

      UK Nonlinear News would like to thank Springer-Verlag for providing a
      copy
      of this volume for review.