Bold new ‘chaos theory’ says fishery experts way off track

  • Roger Bagula
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2003
      http://www.fishingnj.org/artchaos2.htm

      --
      Respectfully, Roger L. Bagula
      tftn@..., 11759Waterhill Road, Lakeside,Ca 92040-2905,tel: 619-5610814 :
        ‘‘Someone with a standard view would say that all the stuff that I can’t
        explain is noise. The nonlinear view is, maybe I can get something out
        of that,’’ said George Sugihara, a biophysicist at the Scripps
        Institution of Oceanography at the University of California at San
        Diego. ‘‘Noise is not an objective thing. It’s a statement of our own
        ignorance.’’

        ‘‘The people who are the principal proponents of current theory are
        government scientists who have a large vested interest in it,’’ said
        James Wilson, a fishery economist at the University of Maine and a
        proponent of alternative management approaches.