CaoDai Information Center Chat Log 3/30/03

  • NgaSharaNguyet@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2003

      HumHongBui:  the topic today is esoterism thru religions
      HumHongBui:  Would you tell me something about transcendental meditation
      HumHongBui:  what is the principle and the practice of the TM
      NgashaBeckHuy:  The principle is to overcome distraction and still the mind.
      NgashaBeckHuy:  It is a type of mindfulness meditation
      NgashaBeckHuy:  but is very simple, and far less involved in imagery than, say, Tibetan Buddhist meditation.
      NgashaBeckHuy:  One image is used; perhaps a rose.  One sound is used, called the mantra.
      NgashaBeckHuy:  The mantra is given to the student by the person initiating the student.  One uses the same mantra forever.
      NgashaBeckHuy:  There is some significance (known only to the initiator) of the particular mantra made for the particular student.
      NgashaBeckHuy:  The student must not reveal their own mantra to anyone.
      HumHongBui:  This type of TM belongs to which religion?
      NgashaBeckHuy:  The process is merely to sit quietly visualizing a chosen image; a flower, a pool, something still.  We are trying to bring the mind to a state of stillness like that of the image.  The mantra is repeated inwardly while visualizing.
      NgashaBeckHuy:  TM is designed to be secular overall; it need not be correlated or associated with any religion.
      NgashaBeckHuy:  The originator was Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, a Hindu and controversial figure of the 1960's and 1970s.
      NgashaBeckHuy:  But it was designed specifically to be non-religious...However, this is hard to fathom considering the initiation images at the ashram I visited in the early 1970s--they were all Hindu.
      NgashaBeckHuy:  The ceremony was in Sanskrit, etc. with lighted candles, incense...
      HumHongBui:  How about breathing?
      NgashaBeckHuy:  Perhaps other ashrams present more of a non-religious framework.  For me, nothing seemed unusual about it; I considered myself a HindoBuddhist.
      HumHongBui:  ashrams? what is it?
      NgashaBeckHuy:  The breath is not a fulcrum of the practice (as differs from Mindfulness Meditation and CaoDai meditation), although the mantra is pronounced inwardly rhythmically, so it is usually pronounced with the breath.
      NgashaBeckHuy:  An ashram is like a community center; students can either visit there or actually go to live there awhile and receive teachings.
      HumHongBui:  What is the ultimate goal of this meditation?
      NgashaBeckHuy:  In India they are everywhere and even function as hostels for travellers/tourists sometimes.
      NgashaBeckHuy:  World Peace
      HumHongBui:  It will lead to peaceful mind?
      NgashaBeckHuy:  It works on a principle that if 10% of people all over the world practice it, everyone will be calmer as a result, and this raises the probabilty of World Peace
      NgashaBeckHuy:  10% leads to a more peaceful 100%
      HumHongBui:  It will make people more gentle with only love in their heart?
      NgashaBeckHuy:  Individually, yes, it would mean peace of mind
      NgashaBeckHuy:  Hinduism speaks of detachment; it helps one overcome attachment and desire, which are the roots of greed, fear, hate...
      HumHongBui:  What does mantra do?
      NgashaBeckHuy:  It coaxes the mind to a calmer level; it is very similar to the attention to breath of the Mindfulness Meditation, and CaoDai meditation in the attention to the path of Chi;  ATTENTION is the root practice of all 3.
      NgashaBeckHuy:  Attention brings the mind away from all distractions; if one become distracted during TM, one simply remembers to pay attention to the image & mantra and goes back.
      HumHongBui:  Is TM involved with Kundalini?
      NgashaBeckHuy:  Not generally.
      HumHongBui:  Hindu meditation may lead to activation of the Kundalini at the base of the spine
      NgashaBeckHuy:  Although Kundalini yoga and TM can be practiced by the same person, and stem from ancient Hindu Indian practices.  But TM particularly is made modernized for the use of the person-on-the-street especially young professionals undera lot of stress.
      HumHongBui:  This activation will lead to powerful force within
      NgashaBeckHuy:  TM has no goal but a spreading of peaceful mind.  "Attainment" is its antithesis.
      HumHongBui:  I understand now. It is probably designed for the beginners
      NgashaBeckHuy:  TM should not be seen as leading to anything higher; it is not progressive as is Kundalini & CaoDai meditation
      HumHongBui:  I understand
      NgashaBeckHuy:  Therefore the beginner is the same as one who has practiced for 30 years (as I have)
      NgashaBeckHuy:  It's like bathing, cleaning away distraction and desire.  The child can soon learn to bathe, and, it still has the same purpose at age 88 as at age 8.
      NgashaBeckHuy:  You can say the child is a beginner, but can do as well as the elder.
      HumHongBui:  The authentical Hidu meditation is involved with opening of various chakras
      NgashaBeckHuy:  Yes, and as such has a type of something you want to ACHEIVE or ATTAIN.  People who practice TM want to leave behind any desire to achieve or attain for 20 minutes and just let the mind be focused and peaceful.
      HumHongBui:  Can we create a chat room like we did before?
      NgashaBeckHuy:  TM has shown to have physical benefits of lower stress, lower blood pressure, less heart disease/heart attack.
      NgashaBeckHuy:  On Walmart Connect?
      NgashaBeckHuy:  I think so but only Walmart & AOL people would be able to enter.
      HumHongBui:  so that we may invite others
      NgashaBeckHuy:  I think my computer is too old to log into yahoo; it hasn't completed yet.
      HumHongBui:  That's what I thought
      HumHongBui:  Do you know any thing about Christian meditation ?
      NgashaBeckHuy:  TM does not require any belief in any diety, religion, spirit contact or even that there is a God or spirit at all; it can be practiced by atheists, Catholics--or of course, Hindus and anyone in between.  I do not know about Christian meditation.
      NgashaBeckHuy:  I would assume it is somewhat like prayer or concentrating on scripture.
      HumHongBui:  I understand that Christianity had practice esoterism, but do not know the details
      NgashaBeckHuy:  I have been invited to join a group which does Tai Chi to Christian scripture--I don't know how it works and I have never had time to go.
      NgashaBeckHuy:  There are books about Christian mysticism but I haven't read them.
      HumHongBui:  Even Islam also has esoteric practice
      NgashaBeckHuy:  Jesus' mother was an Nazarene, a type of essene who lived in caves and meditated.
      NgashaBeckHuy:  He probably learned a lot from her.
      NgashaBeckHuy:  The sufis are islamic mystics
      HumHongBui:  It is called Sufism or Shiitism
      NgashaBeckHuy:  Yes, I have heard of the sufis.
      HumHongBui:  In the book Jesus in India, it was said that Jesus had spend time when he was 17 until he was 30 in Indiia, where he studied meditation
      HumHongBui:  Christian people does not want to say anything about it
      NgashaBeckHuy:  They don't recognize anything other than their interpretation of certain books of the Bible.  The original Bible had a lot more books that were taken out of the Catholic Bibles first.
      NgashaBeckHuy:  The Jews have mysticism also; they also have more books of the original Bible.
      NgashaBeckHuy:  Goodnight :-)