Reciprocity Principle

  • Ngasha Beck
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 21, 2000
      Quotation:
      "Every religion emphasizes human improvement, love, respect for others,
      sharing other people's suffering. On these lines every religion had more or
      less the same viewpoint and the same goal." The Dalai Lama

      Overview
      Religious groups differ greatly in their concepts of deity, other beliefs and
      practices. Non-theistic ethical and philosophic systems, like Humanism, also
      exhibit a wide range of beliefs. But there is near unanimity of opinion that
      each person should treat others as they would themselves wish to be treated.
      Almost all religious and ethical groups have passages in their holy texts, or
      writings of their leaders, which promote this Ethic of Reciprocity. The most
      commonly known version in North America is the Golden Rule of Christianity.

      One result of this Ethic is the concept that every person shares certain
      inherent human rights, simply because of their membership in the human race.
      People are individually very different; they come in two main genders, all
      sizes and shapes, many races, and three sexual orientations. They follow many
      religious and economic systems. But there is a growing consensus that all are
      equal in importance. All should enjoy basic human rights. The United Nations
      Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) is one manifestation of this
      growing worldwide consensus. 3,4

      Some "Ethic of Reciprocity" passages from the religious texts of various
      religions
      Bahá'í World Faith: "Ascribe not to any soul that which thou wouldst not
      have ascribed to thee, and say not that which thou doest not." "Blessed is he
      who preferreth his brother before himself." Baha'u'llah
      "And if thine eyes be turned towards justice, choose thou for thy neighbour
      that which thou choosest for thyself." Epistle to the Son of the Wolf

      Brahmanism: "This is the sum of duty: Do naught unto others which would cause
      you pain if done to you". Mahabharata, 5:1517
      Buddhism: "a state that is not pleasing or delightful to me, how could I
      inflict that upon another?" Samyutta NIkaya v. 353
      Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful." Udana-Varga
      5:18

      Christianity: "Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do
      to you, do ye even so to them." Matthew 7:12
      "...and don't do what you hate...", Gospel of Thomas 6

      Confucianism: "Do not do to others what you do not want them to do to you"
      Analects 15:23 "Tse-kung asked, 'Is there one word that can serve as a
      principle of conduct for life?' Confucius replied, 'It is the word 'shu' --
      reciprocity. Do not impose on others what you yourself do not desire.'"
      Doctrine of the Mean 13.3
      Hinduism: "One should not behave towards others in a way which is
      disagreeable to oneself" Mencius Vii.A.4
      "This is the sum of duty: do naught unto others which would cause you pain if
      done to you." Mahabharata 5:1517

      Islam: "Not one of you is a believer until he loves for his brother what he
      loves for himself" Fourth Hadith of an-Nawawi 13
      Jainism: "Therefore, neither does he [, a sage,] cause violence to others
      nor does he make others do so." Acarangasutra 5.101-2.
      "In happiness and suffering, in joy and grief, we should regard all creatures
      as we regard our own self." Lord Mahavira, 24th Tirthankara
      "A man should wander about treating all creatures as he himself would be
      treated. "Sutrakritanga 1.11.33

      Judaism: "...thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.", Leviticus 19:18
      "What is hateful to you, do not to your fellow man. This is the law: all the
      rest is commentary." Talmud, Shabbat 31a

      Native American Spirituality: "Respect for all life is the foundation." The
      Great Law of Peace
      Roman Pagan Religion: "The law imprinted on the hearts of all men is to love
      the members of society as themselves."
      Shinto: "The heart of the person before you is a mirror. See there your own
      form"
      Sikhism: "Compassion-mercy and religion are the support of the entire world".
      Japji Sahib "Don't create enmity with anyone as God is within everyone." Guru
      Arjan Devji 259
      Sufism: "The basis of Sufism is consideration of the hearts and feelings of
      others. If you haven't the will to gladden someone's heart, then at least
      beware lest you hurt someone's heart, for on our path, no sin exists but
      this." Dr. Javad Nurbakhsh, Master of the Nimatullahi Sufi Order.
      Taoism: "Regard your neighbor's gain as your own gain, and your neighbor's
      loss as your own loss." T'ai Shang Kan Ying P'ien. "I am good to the man who
      is good to me, likewise, I am also good to the bad man." Tao Te Ching
      Wicca: "A'in it harm no one, do what thou wilt" (i.e. do what every you want
      to, as long as it harms nobody, including yourself). The Wiccan Rede
      Yoruba: (Nigeria): "One going to take a pointed stick to pinch a baby bird
      should first try it on himself to feel how it hurts."
      Zoroastrianism: "That nature alone is good which refrains from doing unto
      another whatsoever is not good for itself". Dadistan-i-dinik 94:5
      "Whatever is disagreeable to yourself do not do unto others."
      Shayast-na-Shayast 13:29

      Some philosophers' statements are
      Socrates: "Do not do to others that which would anger you if others did it to
      you." (Greece; 5th century BCE)
      Seneca: "Treat your inferiors as you would be treated by your superiors,"
      Epistle 47:11 (Rome; 1st century CE)

      One example from an ethical system is
      Humanism: "...critical intelligence, infused by a sense of human caring, is
      the best method that humanity has for resolving problems. Reason should be
      balanced with compassion and empathy and the whole person fulfilled." Humanist
      Manifesto II; Ethics section.

      Two exceptions
      Church of Satan: "4. Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it
      instead of love wasted on ingrates! 5. Satan represents vengeance instead of
      turning the other cheek.!" A.S. LaVey, founder of The Church of Satan, The
      Nine Satanic Statements.
      World Church of the Creator: "What is good for the White Race is the highest
      virtue; what is bad for the White Race is the ultimate sin." Although the
      W.C.O.T.C. uses the term "church" they are strongly anti-Christian in belief.
      Their religion is based mainly upon love of the white race and hatred of
      everyone else, which they call members of the "mud races."

      Care is needed in applying the Golden Rule
      Any rule must be applied carefully, and with full knowledge of the likely
      consequences. Many of the above "golden rules" imply that there is some
      absolute standard on what is beneficial and what is harmful. Consider:
      George Bernard Shaw, (1903): "Do not do unto others as you would that they
      should do unto you. Their tastes may not be the same."
      A lot of harm has been done historically, in the name of helping other people.
      Some examples:

      Many individuals involved in the torture and murder of Witches during the
      late Middle Ages and Renaissance felt that their mission was to help both
      society and the Witches. The latter would be given a chance to renounce their
      beliefs and be executed before they recanted. This might give them access to
      Heaven rather than being sent to Hell for endless torture.
      Some suicidologists believe that the extremely high suicide rate among native
      people in North America is a direct result of the destruction of their
      aboriginal faith and other aspects of their society by Christian groups.
      Social programs that were originally designed to help the poor, can sometimes
      backfire and entrap the very people they intended to help.

      Before applying the golden rule, we should take care that we are really
      helping people, and not harming them.

      Failures of the Ethic of Reciprocity
      Many individuals are primarily concerned with their own well being, and that
      of their family and "tribe." Some are able to apply the ethic of reciprocity
      only to their immediate friends and relatives. Somehow, people who are close
      to us are seen as more "equal" than strangers.

      Some individuals are able to extend the Ethic to all fellow believers who
      share their religion. An insufficient number are able to extend it to
      followers of other religions and ultimately to all human beings. The large
      number of religiously-based civil disturbances and wars currently active in
      the world is evidence of this failing.

      Passages that violate the Ethic of Reciprocity
      Unfortunately, many religious texts contain other passages that contradict the
      Ethic of Reciprocity. The Christian Bible is one example. It contains sections
      which promote both religious tolerance and religious intolerance. In places,
      it advocates genocide against other tribes, extermination of people of other
      religions, and murder of individuals with minority sexual orientations. It
      condones slavery and, in places, promotes an inferior status for women.

      (1969), Page 25.

      Rev. Matt Hale, "The World to Come," The Struggle, Issue XXVIII. Online at:
      http://www.creator.org

      The English text of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights is at:
      http://www.un.org/Overview/rights.html
      The text is available in other languages is at:
      http://www.unhchr.ch/html/menu6/1/univdec1.htm
      Copyright ©1995 to 2000 incl. by Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance
      Latest update: 2000-JUL-14
      Author: B.A. Robinson

      Go to the previous page or return to the Religious Information menu, or
      choose:
    • Todd Berry
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 21, 2000
        Ngasha, wonderful, wonderful work!!

        Thanks for writing this--I hope it helps bring a lot
        of people together!

        Peace,

        Todd

        http://im.yahoo.com/
      • Ngasha@juno.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2000
          Please note that I am not the author of this, the author is listed at the
          bottom as BA Robinson.

          On Thu, 21 Sep 2000 09:44:10 -0400 Ngasha Beck <Ngasha@...>
          writes:

> [...]
          > religions, and murder of individuals with minority sexual
          > orientations. It
          > condones slavery and, in places, promotes an inferior status for
          > women.

          > Avon Books
          > (1969), Page 25.
          >
          > Rev. Matt Hale, "The World to Come," The Struggle, Issue XXVIII.
          > Online at:
          > http://www.creator.org
          >
          > The English text of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights is at:
          >
          > http://www.un.org/Overview/rights.html
          > The text is available in other languages is at:
          > http://www.unhchr.ch/html/menu6/1/univdec1.htm
          > Copyright �1995 to 2000 incl. by Ontario Consultants on Religious
          > Tolerance
          > Latest update: 2000-JUL-14
          > Author: B.A. Robinson
          >

          > Go to the previous page or return to the Religious Information

          Wife to Savoeun--21 years! Mom to somebody as yet unknown; student (of
          life & college), Theravada Buddhist, CaoDai (religious peace & unity)
          volunteer, Khmer cultural supporter, at-home computer slave, doglover,
          maid, chef and chief bottlewasher at the residence variously referred to
          as: P.O.Box 694, Keithville, Louisiana 71047-0694, SOLDR1111@..., &
          Ngasha@...

          Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
        • hedgehog@scripps.edu
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2000
            >> Passages that violate the Ethic of Reciprocity
            >> Unfortunately, many religious texts contain other passages that
            >> contradict the
            >> Ethic of Reciprocity. The Christian Bible is one example.
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

            I am afraid BA Robinson lets some of his (or her?) biases creep out at this
            point.

            >> It
            >> contains sections
            >> which promote both religious tolerance and religious intolerance. In
            >> places,
            >> it advocates genocide against other tribes,

            This is from what is commonly called the "Old Testament".

            >> extermination of people
            >> of other
            >> religions,

            As is this.

            >> and murder of individuals with minority sexual
            >> orientations.

            As is this.

            >> It
            >> condones slavery and, in places, promotes an inferior status for
            >> women.

            The New Testament does show a relative tolerance for slavery and some
            tolerance for traditional sexism, but then so does the Old Testament.

            So why single out Christianity when all these flaws would also be present
            in the Jewish Bible?

            I am suspicious of people claiming to be tolerant who also seem to have an
            axe to grind with respect to Christianity. All religions have their good
            ideals and their evil shortcomings.
          • Ryan A. MacMichael
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 3, 2000
              Hi --

              > I am suspicious of people claiming to be tolerant who also seem to have an
              > axe to grind with respect to Christianity. All religions have their good
              > ideals and their evil shortcomings.

              This does seem to often be the case. The thing to remember is that
              most religions themselves aren't bad or negative, but often the people
              who practice them are.

              peace... Ryan