the fourth dimension

  • Hum D Bui
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 24, 2000
      Dear Teri,
      I have read about half of your book. It is exciting. I am still a little
      confused about your concept about the 4th dimension. If I understand
      right what you say, the 4th dimension is a spiritual world from the level
      of subconscious to superconscious. To me, this is not the 4th level but
      rather a progression of the invisible (to people's eyes) but not
      nonexistent entity of human being which is the spirit. The Supreme Being
      share His spirit to human being understood as human conscience, or
      Buddha's heart, or microcosm, or soul (Christianity), or God's heart, or
      rei (Shintoism), or nafs-e-mutamannah (islam), or one's true self, etc...
      Because the spirit is covered by emotions (through the six senses), its
      divine nature is obscured and becomes divided into many fractions such as
      subconscience, mind, etc....When one reach enlightenment, there is a
      oneness between these fractions (subconscience and mind) with the divine
      original spirit, one would reach the absolute wisdom, the status where
      the subconscience or mind would be exactly the divine spirit, absolutely
      good. The enlightenment may be reached by self cultivation (physical,
      emotional, and spiritual).
      About the 4th dimension, I think it is an aspect of Yin energy, the
      energy responsible for the existence of the universe and human being,
      which may be called time.
      Yang energy is invisible to human being. Thanks to time, this Yang energy
      becomes visible. It is like the sine wave, there is a time factor in the
      wave. If there is no time, there would be no wave, and nothing else. It
      is difficult to understand what time is. Perhaps we have to wait until we
      become enlightened, becoming one with the Supreme Being.
      I enclose here the texts about cosmology and energy, written by brother
      Todd and me, to explain more about what I said. Please give me your feed
      back.
      Looking forward to hearing from you.
      Best regards.
      Love and Peace.
      Hum

      CaoDai cosmology
      The entire universe proceeded from a single source, the Thai Cuc, or
      Monad, in the midst of the Khi Hu Vo, or The Invisible Void (called in
      Buddhism Shunyata). This is the Supreme Being. The Supreme Being then
      divided Its spirit into two energies (Luong Nghi): Yin and Yang, or Am
      Quang and Duong Quang. Everything in the universe, therefore, has
      properties of Am and Duong. Generally, all Am (Yin) matter (which is
      darker, heavier and weaker) is seen as coming from the feminine aspect of
      the Supreme Being (the Mother Goddess, Kim Ban Phat Mau), and all Duong
      (Yang) matter (which is brighter, lighter, and stronger) is seen as
      coming from the masculine aspect of the Supreme Being (the Father God,
      Duc Chi Ton). Duong is the spiritual dimension and Am is the material
      dimension. As such, Duong is eternal and imperceptible by the physical
      senses. In contrast, Am is transitory and decaying.
      This initial division then produced the Tu Tuong (Tetrad), which then
      produced the Bat Quai (Eight Trigrams). Finally, the Bat Quai produced
      the "ten thousand things," a Taoist euphemism for the entire universe in
      all its complexity.
      In spiritual terms, the Supreme Being is the Dai Linh Quang, or Great
      Sacred Light, and the Human Being is the Tieu Linh Quang, or Little
      Sacred Light. What this means is that, while Human Beings have the divine
      spark (Duong aspect) within them, they are mixed with the darker Am
      aspect as well. The Supreme Being is Duong aspect only. All created
      matter, as it descends on the great chain of being, becomes heavier and
      heavier, imbued with greater and greater Am aspect, culminating in
      minerals. Conversely, all created matter, as it ascends the great chain
      of being, becomes lighter and lighter, imbued with greater and greater
      Duong aspect, culminating in human beings.
      The Duong aspect of Human Beings, the aspect identical with the Supreme
      Being, is known as the soul, or the conscience (the "Than" in
      Vietnamese). The Am aspect of Human Beings is known as the physical body
      (the "Tinh" in Vietnamese) and the emotional self (the "Khi" in
      Vietnamese).
      From the esoteric point of view, then, the study of ethics proceeds from
      a study of the whole universe as follows: Human beings have a divine
      element (the Duong aspect) within them. However, due to the fact that the
      non-divine element (Am aspect) identifies itself with the perceivable and
      experiential body and emotions (through the six senses), the six kinds of
      greed and seven emotions (Luc Duc, That Tinh) are produced, leading to
      all manner of unethical conduct (i.e., conduct harmful to other beings
      and the rest of creation).
      This conduct naturally proceeds from a misidentification with the
      limited, perishable, material world, which then engenders a fear that
      since the self is material, and the material world is transitory, then
      other beings may be a threat to the material self's survival. Material
      goods then become primary, and greed and violence soon follow.
      Therefore, over time, the individual's Tinh and Khi become progressively
      thicker as the person reinforces his/her idenitification with his Am
      aspect. This combination of Tinh (body) and Khi (emotion) produces a sort
      of coating over his/her Than (soul), thus obscuring his/her divine nature
      and making it more difficult for him/her to lead a good life. These
      "coatings" create what is known symbolically in Vietnamese as the "Pham
      Thai," or human fetus. The goal is to create the "Thanh Thai," or
      spiritual fetus, which could develop into a higher state, such as a
      Buddha, Saint, Genie, etc.
      "Evil people" are thus seen as those who have simply, through ignorance
      common to the human condition, have allowed their Am (Yin) aspect to
      assert control over their lives.
      The goal for esoteric practice, then, is to progressively remove these
      "coatings" so that one's divine aspect (one's Than) is more and more
      manifest, and one comes closer and closer to higher realms (or Heavens)
      and finally, to the Supreme Being. Thus, there is no need for the soul to
      reincarnate, and karmic liberation is accomplished. This is accomplished
      through meditation.
      The basic principle of meditation to cultivate and purify the self is
      based on the previous discussion of cosmology and is summed up thus:
      Luyen Tinh hoa Khi, Luyen Khi hoa Than, Luyen Than huon Hu, Luyen Hu huon
      Vo.
      "Cultivate Tinh, transform to Khi, Cultivate Khi, transform to Than,
      Cultivate Than, transform to Hu, Cultivate Hu, transform to Vo."
      As I discussed in a previous article, there is much Chinese influence in
      CaoDai practice and belief. In Chinese Taoist theory, "Tinh" is usually
      translated as "Ching" or "Jing." This refers to the symbolic essence of
      the physical aspect of Humans: the reproductive elements of both sexes.
      Similarly, "Khi" is usually translated as "Chi" or "Ji." This refers to
      the symbolic essence of the emotional aspect of Humans: breath, or, in a
      larger sense, the energy aspect. "Than" is usually translated as "Shen,"
      and means the spirit or soul. "Hu" and "Vo" are generally translated as
      "Wu Chi," or "Tai Chi," which mean, respectively No Chi (nothingness) or
      the Supreme Ultimate Chi. This ultimate state implies a full balance and
      purification of energies. Martial artists should find these terms quite
      familiar.
      The goal of meditation, then is purification of the self to reach
      unification with the divine spirit. This is known as "Thien Dinh," or
      "Calming Down and Concentrating." Buddhists refer to this as "Shamatha"
      and "Vipasana," respectively, while the Omotokyo Shinto Term is "Chinkon
      Kishin," meaning calming down and returning to the Source. There is a
      striking parallel between this practice and those of Taoists (in
      directing Chi through the body), Buddhists (in the Completion Stage
      Highest Yoga Tantras), Hindus (in Kundalini Yoga and its Chakra system),
      and Jews (in meditation on the Kabbalah Tree of Life). It seems the same
      centers of energy are used for spiritual purification, except that in
      this case, the goal is divine union with the spirit of CaoDai.
      The following is a fairly simple meditation technique designed to aid in
      the purification of Tinh and Khi through the path described in the poem
      above (the text is by Hum Dac Bui):
      1. Sit with spine and head straight, eyes half open, not focused on
      anything, mouth closed and relaxed, with the tip of the tongue lightly
      touching the roof of the mouth.
      2. Inhale gently, directing the breath past the "Phach Cung Hoa,: the
      fire center of the heart (where it is imbued with the fire principle) to
      the "Phach Ha Dinh," the lower center at the navel (sacral plexus).
      3. While holding the breath for two seconds, transfer the energy of the
      inhalation into the "Phach Cuc Am," the extremely yin center at the base
      of the spine.
      4. Exhaling, direct the energy from the breath up through the spine into
      the "Phach Cuc Duong," the extremely yang center at the top of the head.
      Along the way the breath is imbued with the water principle, and the
      "steam" (from the fire principle) helps the third eye to begin to open
      [this is the spiritual knowledge center, typically shown in the middle of
      the forehead between the eyes--Todd].
      The important point is that one's expectation should be humble at first
      and the key to success is absolute sincerity. One should be sincere in
      the goal of development of love, compassion, and understanding which will
      naturally lead to the True Self in one's heart and to the unification
      with the Supreme Being.

      Energy
      Energy is the basic constitution of human beings and everything in the
      universe. There are two kinds of energy, positive and negative, which
      science has named the proton and the electron, and which are respectively
      known as Yang and Yin in the East.
      The universe is therefore an immense energy field with innumerable
      electromagnetic elements distributed according to the law of Karma (a
      manifestation of the laws of physics).
      Human beings, being a part of the universe, are simply a smaller version
      of the larger electromagnetic field of the universe. Humans'
      electromagnetic field may be seen in such scanning devices as the CAT
      scanning of the body and the EEG (electro-encephalogram) of the brain.
      This electromagnetic constitution is conditioned by Karmic law, which
      also predetermines the entire destiny of a person in the following
      manner.
      Depending on the distribution of Yin and Yang in different parts of the
      human body, human beings are endowed with certain kinds of health
      conditions, of personalities, of emotional patterns, and of mind.
      Karma conditions one's destiny by matching the electromagnetic field of
      certain environments (family, spouse, children, community, colleagues,
      friends, etc.) so that certain events and reactions to events are
      inevitable. In medical terms, this is like an antigen/antibody reaction.
      Similarly, thought and soul are also a form of energy. Therefore, people
      have the ability to change their Karma and their destiny by their good
      thoughts and good actions, because these thoughts and actions, which are
      themselves a form of energy, then modify the electromagnetic field of the
      environment, thus preventing bad things from happening.
      In a larger sense, then, a good soul which guides the physical body to do
      good service to humanity would improve the electromagnetic field of a
      person, and even of a community.
      The different electromagnetic fields of different people are affected by
      their own and others' Karma. This explains why people who live in the
      same community have different destinies. It also explains why people
      would feel more comfortable with certain types of people, due to affinity
      of energy fields, than with others, due to incompatibility of energy
      fields.
      The affinity of energy fields also explains the phenomenon commonly known
      as telepathy and the fact that one person may heal another without
      traditional medical intervention. For example, a number of respected
      doctors, such as Dr. Larry Dossey, have written books and articles about
      the positive effect of prayer on open heart surgery patients' recovery.
      This effect is due to the fact that people have a tendency to go inward
      to build up their inner source of energy by meditation, which has also
      been proved by some scientific studies to fortify the immune function.
    • Hum D Bui
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 25, 2000
        Hi Nga,
        Teri published a book entitled The Spiritual Dance of Life and she asked
        me to comment. When we say the fourth dimension we have to agree about
        the other three dimensions in physics. The fourth dimension is pretty
        unknown to Science. People used to say there is mystery about the fourth
        dimension, and when one reaches enlightenment, one reaches the wisdom,
        and reaches the fourth dimension, and can create anything like God
        created such as in the case of people of the old times who created easily
        the pyramids, Angkor Thom Angkor Watt etc...Physically, we, including our
        spirit although it is invisible, are living in three dimensions, and all
        the spiritual activities that we are having do not mean that we are in
        the fourth dimension.
        I am not saying that time is the fourth dimension. Just want to say that
        anything in the universe would not exist without time. I still don't know
        what time is.
        I believe that the Supreme Being is the first cause understood as
        nothingness in Buddhism. There was nothing at the beginning. Then the
        Supreme Being created Yin and Yang from which the universe began to
        exist. Yang is the space and Yin is the time. Space would not exist and
        be visible without time. Yang is the proton and is light, Yin is the
        electron and is heavy. Hydrogen has one proton and two electrons and is
        light. Atom that has more and more electrons is heavier and heavier such
        as metal etc...
        So Yang with less Yin would be lighter. Yang with more Yin would be more
        condense and heavier and more visible like time making things more
        visible.
        I am sorry if I make you confused. Things would be clearer when one
        reaches wisdom, enlightenment.
        Best wishes.
        Love and Peace.
        Hum
        Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
      • hum bui
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 4, 2000
          DEAR BROTHER AND SISTER,
          I DEEPLY APOLOGIZE FOR THE DELAY IN RESPONSE. I GREATLY ENJOY AND APPRECIATE THIS WONDERFUL AND ENLIGHTENING DISCUSSION.

          This means, in addition to an infinite
          >universe, an infinite number of souls to express all
          >aspects of the Deity.

          Yes, the material universe is a pale shadow of infinite universe...

          *** YES, THIS WONDERFUL UNVERSE IS EXACTLY THE MIRACULOUS IMAGE OF THE SUPREME BEING OR THE DIVINE BOUNDLESS UNIVERSE.

          ..
          >The experience of physical life on earth is at once an
          >opportunity for the Supreme Being to experience and
          >understand our lives, as well as for the Supreme Being
          >to express itself in more and more personality
          >aspects, both male and female.

          We certainly reincarnate in both roles ( male and female) to express and experience the polarities of life....

          >Therefore, we are always arising from and returning to
          >the same infinite Ground of Being. In fact, we are
          >always already indissoluble from it, if only we could
          >realize this and live our lives accordingly.

          *** INDEED, A VIETNAMESE SAYING STATES:
          NHUT BON TAN VAN THU,
          VAN THU QUI NHUT BON.

          "FROM ONE (ROOT), EMANATE MANY (TEN THOUSAND APPEARANCES,
          MANY RETURN TO ONE.

          AND WE ARE JUST THE SUPREME BEING PLUS A VISIBLE PHYSICAL BODY

          >Thus, the Fourth Dimension may very well be a state of
          >mind as well as reality, wherein the enlightened can
          >understand this very expression/experience, and thus
          >bring to others a view of Loving Divinity within their
          >grasp.

          I believe that everything we experience is a state of mind, and as we become more mind-ful, we grow to know more....such as the fourth dimension which is non-linear, timeless and spaceless.

          *** WE ARE LIVING PHYSICALLY IN THE FOURTH DIMENSION, THE TIME WITHOUT UNDERSTANDING ITS SECRET. ONLY WHEN DOES ONE REACH ENLIGHTENMENT, ONE WOULD TRANSCEND TIME DIMENSION TO REACH THE INVISIBLE TIMELESS AND SPACELESS DIMENSION.

          >One of my favorite analysts in this regard is Ken
          >Wilber. With solid bakckgroun in zen and Dzogchen
          >Tibetan Buddhism, Wilber summarizes the highest
          >beliefs of the saints and sages as indicating that we
          >exist parallel to the fourth dimension, and the
          >realization of this is as imminent to us as our own
          >minds.

          Wilbur has a fine mind and is leaving us with an incredible legacy of wisdom.....

          *** ONLY WHEN DOES ONE REACHES ENLIGHTENMENT, ONE WILL REALIZE THE FOURTH DIMENSION AND TRANSCEND IT. IF ONE RETURNS TO THE NIRVANA, ONE WOULD BE IN A DIMENSION WITHOUT DIMENSION. IF ONE CHOOSES TO STAY IN THE EARTH, THE VISIBLE DIMENSION, ONE WOULD LIVE IN THE VISIBLE WORLD (WITH TIME DIMENSION).

          >If you have read Edwin Abbot's Flatland, then this is
          >rather like a spiritual version of one of the Flatland
          >inhabitants obtaining a glimpse, and then a consistent
          >view, of the higher dimension.
          >\
          We all have the opportunity to glimpse the higher dimension through our meditation. The most powerful meditation I have experienced is Kriya Yoga...are you familiar with it, Todd?

          >Let me know your thoughts (you, too, Hum and Nga!).

          *** I DO NOT KNOW KRIYA YOGA. WOULD YOU TELL ME TERI. MAYBE I HAVE READ THROUGH BUT DO NOT REMEMBER THE NAME. I SEE THE COMMON PRINCIPLE OF MANY MEDITATION TECHNIQUES: BEING WITH YOUR INNER SELF WITHOUT BEING ATTACHED TO ANY EARTHLY CONDITIONS EITHER PHYSICAL OR EMOTIONAL.

          I will be more prompt in responding in the future. Again sorry about the delay. All of you have a wonderful 4th of July weekend. Blessings...teri

          *** ME TOO. I WILL TRY MY BEST.

          >--- "Dr. M. Teri Daunter" <tdaunter@...>
          >wrote:
          >> Also, Hum, regarding energy fields and karma, it
          >> sounds as if we are saying the same thing just using
          >> slightly different language. I believe, also, that
          >> we are a part of a vast electromagnetic energy field
          >> out of which we are borne. Our karma is a result of
          >> our conduct in any one cycle. Consequently, I do
          >> not necessarily look at life in terms of good and
          >> bad, but healthy or unhealthy. Is an intention (not
          >> necessarily behavior) going to bring me closer to
          >> Infinite Creative Intelligence or move me farther
          >> away. Rather than looking at people as evil, I look
          >> at them as ignorant or misinformed. Again the whole
          >> concept of young or old souls - those who have been
          >> around the block many times so to speak or those
          >> just newly on the planet.

          *** ALL SOULS WERE CREATED AT THE SAME TIME. NO ONE IS YOUNGER OR OLDER THAN ANYONE. ONE IS JUST MORE OR LESS ADVANCED THAN THE OTHER. THE LEAST ADVANCED MAY BE CALLED EVIL OR CRUEL OR PRIMITIVE OR ETC... THE MORE ADVANCED MAY BE CALLED GENIE, SAINT, ANGEL, IMMORTAL, BODHISATVA, BUDDHA, ETC... A PHYSICALLY YOUNG BODY MAY THEREFORE CARRY AN ADVANCED SOUL.

          >> The puzzling question is: If we continue to
          >> recycle, how come we continue to have a population
          >> problem? From where are the new souls coming. I
          >> have my theory, but I am open to the comments of
          >> others on this topic.....teri.

          *** THE PHYSICAL MASS OF THE EARTH WOULD NOT BE CHANGED. ANY NEWLY BORN BODY IS CONSTITUTED BY EARTH MATERIALS. WHEN THERE IS A GAIN OF MATERIAL SOMEWHERE, THERE IS SUBSEQUENTLY A LOSS OF MATERIAL SOMEWHERE ELSE. WHEN THERE IS A LOSS OF MATERIAL SOMEWHERE (LIKE SOMEONE DIES) THERE IS A GAIN OF MATERIAL SOMEWHERE ELSE (THE BODY OF THE PERSON WILL BECOME DIRT). THE LIFE ON EARTH IS A CONTINUOUS TRANSFORMATION. IF THERE ARE MORE HUMANS THERE WOULD BE LESS MATERIALS, OR PLANTS, OR ANIMALS...THE SPIRITS OF MATERIALS OR PLANTS OR ANIMALS WILL BECOME MORE AND MORE ADVANCED AND BECOME HUMANS. ALSO, ONE ADVANCED SPIRIT (SUCH AS OF BUDDHAS, OR IMMORTALS, OR SAINTS) MAY INCARNATE UNDER THE FORM OF MANY HUMANS. THE ABOVE DISCUSSION IS JUST INVOLVING THE EARTH, MANY OTHER SOULS MAY COME FROM OTHER PLANETS, ESPECIALLY AT THIS TIME, MANY ADVANCED SOULS FROM MORE ADVANCED DIMENSIONS (THAN THE EARTH) ARE INCARNATING TO THE EARTH TO HELP.
          INCARNATION AND REINCARNATION ARE NOT AFFECTING THE NUMBER OF SOULS CREATED BY THE SUPREME BEING.

          I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO HEARING MORE FROM YOU ALL.
          BEST WISHES.
          LOVE AND PEACE.
          HUM