Youth spirituality

  • humb630@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2000
      I forward this letter of Al Hayes to you.
      I would agree with the authors. I think at this time, materialism
      predominates our community, and on top of it, we do not have spiritual
      education (at least the study of values if the government has too much
      troubles with innumerable denominations) in our school system. Other factors
      include stimulating violence in media system such as TV, films, magazines
      etc...CaoDai has predicted that humans would return to spirituality in the
      new millennium. Maybe we need to wait for some time!

      Subj: House Judiciary Committee's subcommittee
      I thought this was very good, and you might want to share it with
      someone...
      On Thursday, May 27, 1999, Darrell Scott, the father of Rachel
      Scott, a victim of the Columbine High School shootings in Littleton,
      Colorado, was invited to address the House Judiciary Committee's
      subcommittee. What he said to our national leaders during this special
      session of Congress was painfully truthful. It needs to be heard by
      every parent, every teacher, every politician, every sociologist, every
      psychologist, and every so-called expert! These courageous words spoken
      by Darrell Scott are powerful, penetrating, and deeply personal. There
      is no doubt that God sent this man as a voice crying in the wilderness.
      The following is a portion of the transcript-- both good & evil in the
      hearts of men and women.
      "We all contain the seeds of kindness or the seeds of violence. The
      death of my wonderful daughter, Rachel Joy Scott, and the deaths of that
      heroic teacher, and the other eleven children who died must not be in
      vain. Their blood cries out for answers.
      The first recorded act of violence was when Cain slew his brother Abel
      out in the field. The villain was not the club he used. Neither was it
      the NCA, the National Club Association. The true killer was Cain, and
      the reason for the murder could only be found in Cain's heart.
      "In the days that followed the Columbine tragedy, I was amazed at how
      quickly fingers began to be pointed at groups such as the NRA. I am not
      a member of the NRA. I am not a hunter. I do not even own a gun. I am
      not here to represent or defend the NRA because I don't believe that
      they are responsible for my daughter's death. Therefore I do not believe
      that they need to be defended. If I believed they had anything to do
      with Rachel's murder I would be their strongest opponent.
      I am here today to declare that Columbine was not just a tragedy - it
      was a spiritual event that should be forcing us to look at where the
      real blame lies! Much of the blame lies here in this room. Much of the
      blame lies behind the pointing fingers of the accusers themselves.
      "I wrote a poem just four nights ago that expresses my feelings best.
      This was written way before I knew I would be speaking here today.
      "Your laws ignore our deepest needs Your words are empty air
      You've stripped away our heritage You've outlawed simple prayer.
      Now gunshots fill our classrooms And precious children die
      You seek for answers everywhere And ask the question "Why"
      You regulate restrictive laws Through legislative creed And yet you fail
      to understand, That God is what we need!"
      "Men and women are three-part beings. We all consist of body, soul, and
      spirit. When we refuse to acknowledge a third part of our makeup, we
      create a void that allows evil, prejudice, and hatred to rush in and
      reek havoc. Spiritual influences were present within our educational
      systems for most of our nation's history. Many of our major colleges
      began as theological seminaries. This is a historical fact. What has
      happened to us as a nation?
      "We have refused to honor God, and in doing so, we open the doors to
      hatred and violence. And when something as terrible as Columbine's
      tragedy occurs politicians immediately look for a scapegoat such as the
      NRA. They immediately seek to pass more restrictive laws that contribute
      to erode away our personal and private liberties.
      "We do not need more restrictive laws. Eric and Dylan would not have
      been stopped by metal detectors. No amount of gun laws can stop someone
      who spends months planning this type of massacre. The real villain lies
      within our own hearts. Political posturing and restrictive legislation
      are not the answers. The young people of our nation hold the key.
      There is a spiritual awakening taking place that will not be squelched!
      We do not need more religion. We do not need more gaudy television
      evangelists spewing out verbal religious garbage. We do not need more
      million dollar church buildings built while people with basic needs are
      being ignored. We do need a change of heart and a humble acknowledgment
      that this nation was founded on the principle of simple trust in God!
      "As my son Craig lay under that table in the school library and saw his
      two friends murdered before his very eyes He did not hesitate to pray in
      school. I defy any law or politician to deny him that right! I challenge
      every young person in America, and around the world, to realize that on
      April 20, 1999, at Columbine High School - prayer was brought back to
      our schools."
      "Do not let the many prayers offered by those students be in vain. Dare
      to move into the new millennium with a sacred disregard for legislation
      that violates your God - given right to communicate with Him. To those
      of you who would point your finger at the NRA - I give to you a sincere
      challenge. Dare to examine your own heart before casting the first
      stone!
      My daughter's death will not be in vain! The young people of this
      country will not allow that to happen!:"
      Be courageous enough to do what the media did not, let the nation hear
      this man's speech. Please send this out to everyone you can!!!

      Happy trails!

      Al Hayes