Line style?

  • Richard Heyes
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2009
      Hi,

      Is it too late to suggest additions to the canvas spec? And if not
      does any one know who the best person to suggest them to is? Like
      others I think I would find being able to specify the line style
      rather useful. Eg:

      context.lineStyle = 'solid'; // Default
      context.lineStyle = 'dotted';
      context.lineStyle = 'dashed';

      Cheers.

      --
      Richard Heyes
    • Matthew Westcott
      Message 2 of 3 , May 31, 2009
        On 31 May 2009, at 20:30, Richard Heyes wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > Is it too late to suggest additions to the canvas spec? And if not
        > does any one know who the best person to suggest them to is?

        That would be the WHATWG mailing list:

        According to the FAQ, the editor of the HTML5 spec (of which canvas is
        a part) expects it to reach W3C candidate recommendation status around
        2012, and will not be fully finalised until 2022 or later, so there's
        plenty of time to get your requests in :-)
        http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/FAQ#When_will_HTML_5_be_finished.3F

        (And anyhow, I'm sure there's going to be an HTML6 proposal by then...)

        > Like
        > others I think I would find being able to specify the line style
        > rather useful. Eg:
        >
        > context.lineStyle = 'solid'; // Default
        > context.lineStyle = 'dotted';
        > context.lineStyle = 'dashed';

        That seems like a rather surprising omission (if indeed it is an
        omission) - Canvas's drawing capabilities are usually in step with
        SVG, which does have that feature. From a quick scan through the spec,
        it looks like strokeStyle set to a CanvasPattern might possibly do the
        job, although it is a bit unclear.

        - Matt
      • Richard Heyes
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1 4:36 AM
          Hi,

          > According to the FAQ, the editor of the HTML5 spec (of which canvas is
          > a part) expects it to reach W3C candidate recommendation status around
          > 2012, and will not be fully finalised until 2022 or later, so there's
          > plenty of time to get your requests in :-)
          > http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/FAQ#When_will_HTML_5_be_finished.3F
          >
          > (And anyhow, I'm sure there's going to be an HTML6 proposal by then...)

          Thanks for the pointer.

          > That seems like a rather surprising omission (if indeed it is an
          > omission) - Canvas's drawing capabilities are usually in step with
          > SVG, which does have that feature. From a quick scan through the spec,
          > it looks like strokeStyle set to a CanvasPattern might possibly do the
          > job, although it is a bit unclear.

          Hmmm, I'll look at that - thanks.

          --
          Richard Heyes