Re: [canvas-developers] save() and restore() (again)

  • Richard Heyes
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 25, 2008

      Well, thank you. Still don't "get" it. Fortunately I haven't needed
      save() or restore() yet. Mind you, I wouldn't would I... :-)

      --
      Richard Heyes

      HTML5 Graphing for FF, Chrome, Opera and Safari:
      http://www.phpguru.org/RGraph
    • Matt Westcott
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 25, 2008
        --- In canvas-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Heyes"
        <richard.heyes@...> wrote:

        > Well, thank you. Still don't "get" it. Fortunately I haven't needed
        > save() or restore() yet. Mind you, I wouldn't would I... :-)

        I think the key to understanding it is realising that scale(),
        rotate(), translate() and transform() change the coordinate system (so
        that, for example, the point (0,0) becomes somewhere else besides the
        top-left corner) - NOT the current pen position or the appearance of
        anything that's been drawn already. It's the coordinate system that is
        being remembered by save() and restore() (along with some other bits
        and pieces like fill style).
      • Richard Heyes
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 25, 2008
          Hi,

          > I think the key to understanding it is realising that scale(),
          > rotate(), translate() and transform() change the coordinate system (so
          > that, for example, the point (0,0) becomes somewhere else besides the
          > top-left corner) - NOT the current pen position or the appearance of
          > anything that's been drawn already. It's the coordinate system that is
          > being remembered by save() and restore() (along with some other bits
          > and pieces like fill style).

          Now that helps. I think based on that, I don't imagine I'd need too
          much, if at all.