Canvas - ready for prime time?

  • Andrew
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 26 1:48 PM
      I'm wondering if folks here working on canvas implementations have
      moved from just doing little demos to actually using and depending on
      it for website development.
      Is SVG any further along?

      Which would you choose if you had to pick one to work with right now?
    • Jerason Banes
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 26 2:01 PM
        Hi Andrew,

        My opinion is that Canvas is very much ready for prime-time. It's well supported by Opera, Safari, and FireFox/Mozilla. IE can be made to work with a shunt from Google, and I've also got a high-performance shunt in Java on the way. (Though I can give you no dates for when it will be complete. It's an opportunistic thing.)

        All this actually makes Canvas a better solution than SVG under most circumstances. Of course, it depends upon what you're doing. Static images may be better served with SVG vector graphics or server-generated bitmaps. Canvas is a good solution when you need a complex and/or interactive animation.

        Also, it depends upon where you plan to deploy it. If you're going to be deploying it into a business setting composed of 99% IE browsers, then Canvas may be a less than ideal solution. In a case like that you might find that using VML or a company-wide SVG plugin might serve your needs better.

        Thanks,
        Jerason

        .