Re: [canvas-developers] Spamming will not be tolerated

  • David Curran
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 29, 2007
      >Depends. You cannot fool Opera's content filtering by loading the image in
      >JavaScript to then display it on a canvas, as the blocking is URL-based.
      >What happens in other content blockers, I don't know.
      The original ad blocker (Kusmerick) was based on location of an image in the page but most current ones are URL-based.

      >If you are talking about generating the entire in-page ad using canvas
      >without loading bitmaps into the canvas, it might be more problematic,
      >unless you start blocking page elements based on element dimensions.
      Good point unless you have a heuristic like "all wide shallow canvas tags at the top of a page of text are ads" blocking ads like this is difficult. For economic reasons web ads are url based rather then just simple billboards so you are probably correct that URL based schemes should continue to work.
           David

      On 29/01/07, Arve Bersvendsen <arveb@...> wrote:

      On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 16:56:16 +0100, David Curran <david.curran@... >
      wrote:

      > on a related note.
      > How would you deal with canvas spam?
      > Large amounts of spam now uses images files to convey the data. What
      > would happen if vector based images were used instead? Could current
      > techniques be adapted to recognise spam in canvas elements?

      Canvas spam is highly unlikely to ever happen, as canvas is dependent on a
      scripting engine. I do not know of one mail display engine in 2007 that
      executes JavaScript.

      --
      Arve Bersvendsen, Web Applications Developer

      The old blog is dead. Long live the new blog
      http://liveatthewitchtrials.blogspot.com/