Re: [canvas-developers] Spamming will not be tolerated

  • Mario Giorno
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 25, 2007
      Andrew,

           From one list moderator to another - thank you.

      Mario Giorno
      aka pariahstudio
      moderator, westphillyfreecycle

      On 1/25/07, Andrew <triptych@...> wrote:

      Just a note to folks here - the list may be quiet right now while
      canvas slowly gains adoption, however I will immediately ban and
      delete messages of anyone attempting spam.

      If the spam continues I'll convert the list to moderated membership.

      Now back to your regularly scheduled mailing list.

    • David Curran
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 25, 2007
        on a related note.
        How would you deal with canvas spam?
        Large amounts of spam now uses images files to convey the data. What would happen if vector based images were used instead? Could current techniques be adapted to recognise spam in canvas elements?
        In a similar problem do canvas image ads bypass ad filters in browsers?
             Regards
                David

        --
        The old blog is dead. Long live the new blog
        http://liveatthewitchtrials.blogspot.com/
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 25, 2007
          Hi all,

          there has been quite some discussion on drawString() from time to time
          on the WHATWG list, yet still none of the main browser vendors seems
          committed to add this kind of feature. Of course, Canvas is only one of
          many topics for WHATWG, and the list has a high volume of traffic, so
          its always easy to get lost when the next hot topic comes up.

          Now the iPhone is on the horizon, and it is still unclear whether Flash,
          Java or native apps will be supported at all, so Canvas may be the only
          option left for smaller developers.... However, Canvas without a simple
          drawString() method makes it difficult to display stuff like street
          names in map applications, labels in graph applications, high scores in
          games, you name it...

          I have tried to create a simple proposal that should work fine (see (1),
          comments are welcome), but basically I can live with anything that is
          simple to use and to implement.

          Perhaps we -- as a group -- can somehow put more weight behind this
          issue (assuming you share my view that Canvas is incomplete without
          drawString()), but I am not sure what may be the best way to make some
          kind of progress....?

          Best regards,
          Stefan Haustein

          1) http://rhino-canvas.sourceforge.net/www/drawstring.html
        • Arve Bersvendsen
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 29, 2007
            On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 16:56:16 +0100, David Curran <david.curran@...>
            wrote:

            > on a related note.
            > How would you deal with canvas spam?
            > Large amounts of spam now uses images files to convey the data. What
            > would happen if vector based images were used instead? Could current
            > techniques be adapted to recognise spam in canvas elements?

            Canvas spam is highly unlikely to ever happen, as canvas is dependent on a
            scripting engine. I do not know of one mail display engine in 2007 that
            executes JavaScript.

            > In a similar problem do canvas image ads bypass ad filters in browsers?

            Depends. You cannot fool Opera's content filtering by loading the image in
            JavaScript to then display it on a canvas, as the blocking is URL-based.
            What happens in other content blockers, I don't know.

            If you are talking about generating the entire in-page ad using canvas
            without loading bitmaps into the canvas, it might be more problematic,
            unless you start blocking page elements based on element dimensions.

            --
            Arve Bersvendsen, Web Applications Developer

          • David Curran
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 29, 2007
              >Depends. You cannot fool Opera's content filtering by loading the image in
              >JavaScript to then display it on a canvas, as the blocking is URL-based.
              >What happens in other content blockers, I don't know.
              The original ad blocker (Kusmerick) was based on location of an image in the page but most current ones are URL-based.

              >If you are talking about generating the entire in-page ad using canvas
              >without loading bitmaps into the canvas, it might be more problematic,
              >unless you start blocking page elements based on element dimensions.
              Good point unless you have a heuristic like "all wide shallow canvas tags at the top of a page of text are ads" blocking ads like this is difficult. For economic reasons web ads are url based rather then just simple billboards so you are probably correct that URL based schemes should continue to work.
                   David