Re: [canondigicamhacking] Re: Boot image for the 300D?

  • Fred A. Miller
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 16, 2013
      On 07/15/2013 09:17 AM, Mark wrote:
      > It might be a bit before I get time to dig into it. However I have another 300D coming from Ebay, I'm hopeful I can use it to get a foothold into the broken 300D.

      Ok....play time.

      > I've got a 16 core Linux box sitting in my living room running my house, it's come in handy to expand the firmware images for extracting files. Desktop is a Windows machine because I need that for other apps. I like the mixed environment, best of both worlds.

      Well, not much good I can say about MickySoft. I normally build my own
      boxen....this one is an Intel i7 2600 based system running reliably at
      4.3Ghz. and 16G fast RAM. CPU and RAM is cooled quite well. It's a nice
      box to use Gimp for post processing images from my Canon 7D.

      Fred

      --
      Trusting Obama With Border Security Is Like Trusting
      Bill Clinton With Your Daughter!

    • Mark
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 16, 2013
        I use MS stuff at work, and have a few favorite programs that run under Windows. I also have a ton of stuff I love under Linux, so for me I need both (or I guess I could run a VM nowadays) to run all the apps I want to have. The Linux box is normally shell-access, and houses all my web-apps, file share, firewall, etc, and the graphical stuff particularly games, are under Windows.

        I just picked up an ancient Wacom, partially for using in Gimp to help with post processing, but also for drafting applications (I'm trying to design a few laser-cut items, and it's been 20 years since I had a drafting class.) and who knows what else it will be useful for.

        I also just got another 300D off of Ebay, it's working, but has the broken secondary mirror pin. I need to see if I can repair the mirror ... this one's pretty bad, the spring's just hanging there, so I need to figure out how to get it back in place. Or I can mix and match with my 300D with the broken firmware and have one good camera. If I can get both working again, one of the 300D's is going to have the IR filter removed from the sensor stack, so I can do IR photography.

        Mark

        --- In canondigicamhacking@yahoogroups.com, "Fred A. Miller"
        > Well, not much good I can say about MickySoft. I normally build my own
        > boxen....this one is an Intel i7 2600 based system running reliably at
        > 4.3Ghz. and 16G fast RAM. CPU and RAM is cooled quite well. It's a nice
        > box to use Gimp for post processing images from my Canon 7D.
        >
        > Fred
      • Fred A. Miller
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 16, 2013
          On 07/16/2013 11:20 AM, Mark wrote:
          > I also just got another 300D off of Ebay, it's working, but has the broken secondary mirror pin. I need to see if I can repair the mirror ... this one's pretty bad, the spring's just hanging there, so I need to figure out how to get it back in place. Or I can mix and match with my 300D with the broken firmware and have one good camera. If I can get both working again, one of the 300D's is going to have the IR filter removed from the sensor stack, so I can do IR photography.

          You're having way too much fun! 8-)

          Fred

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 16, 2013
            No such thing as too much fun!