Re: Boot image for the 300D?

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 15, 2013
      It might be a bit before I get time to dig into it. However I have another 300D coming from Ebay, I'm hopeful I can use it to get a foothold into the broken 300D.

      I've got a 16 core Linux box sitting in my living room running my house, it's come in handy to expand the firmware images for extracting files. Desktop is a Windows machine because I need that for other apps. I like the mixed environment, best of both worlds.\

      Mark

      --- In canondigicamhacking@yahoogroups.com, "Fred A. Miller" <fmiller@...> wrote:

      > On 07/12/2013 10:31 AM, Mark wrote:
      > > I tried to flash UnDutchable on a 300D I got cheap. It got to 84% and froze, now the camera won't boot. It's probably my fault for using a 4gb CF card partitioned to be a 1.5gb drive.
      > >
      > > It's not quite dead, when I have a CF card in, and put a battery in, the CF light blinks once. Seeing this, I extracted the DiskA.img file from the firmware and wrote it to an 8mb CF card (I have a patch BTW if anyone can't get the extract running under 64bit Linux, I'll try to post it when I'm at home). With the image written to the card, when I put in the battery it blinks several times. If I remove the camera.exe from the CF card, it again goes back to blinking once. To me this indicates it's reading the CF, and running the camera.exe file.
      > >
      > > Has anyone been in this situation before? I'm more than happy to experiment, I picked up an XTi to use as my camera, so the 300D is a "let's see what happens" kind of project. My next step was to setup a 16bit compiler and see if I could get any data off of the camera, to see what's on the A: and B: partition, free time being the limited commodity at this point.
      >
      > Have fun and do report back to us with how it goes. And, see my sig.
      >
      > --
      > Friends don't let Friends use Windows and Mac. because your
      > computer should be controlled by you and you alone! Use
      > openSuSE Linux 12.3

    • Fred A. Miller
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 16, 2013
        On 07/15/2013 09:17 AM, Mark wrote:
        > It might be a bit before I get time to dig into it. However I have another 300D coming from Ebay, I'm hopeful I can use it to get a foothold into the broken 300D.

        Ok....play time.

        > I've got a 16 core Linux box sitting in my living room running my house, it's come in handy to expand the firmware images for extracting files. Desktop is a Windows machine because I need that for other apps. I like the mixed environment, best of both worlds.

        Well, not much good I can say about MickySoft. I normally build my own
        boxen....this one is an Intel i7 2600 based system running reliably at
        4.3Ghz. and 16G fast RAM. CPU and RAM is cooled quite well. It's a nice
        box to use Gimp for post processing images from my Canon 7D.

        Fred

        --
        Trusting Obama With Border Security Is Like Trusting
        Bill Clinton With Your Daughter!

      • Mark
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 16, 2013
          I use MS stuff at work, and have a few favorite programs that run under Windows. I also have a ton of stuff I love under Linux, so for me I need both (or I guess I could run a VM nowadays) to run all the apps I want to have. The Linux box is normally shell-access, and houses all my web-apps, file share, firewall, etc, and the graphical stuff particularly games, are under Windows.

          I just picked up an ancient Wacom, partially for using in Gimp to help with post processing, but also for drafting applications (I'm trying to design a few laser-cut items, and it's been 20 years since I had a drafting class.) and who knows what else it will be useful for.

          I also just got another 300D off of Ebay, it's working, but has the broken secondary mirror pin. I need to see if I can repair the mirror ... this one's pretty bad, the spring's just hanging there, so I need to figure out how to get it back in place. Or I can mix and match with my 300D with the broken firmware and have one good camera. If I can get both working again, one of the 300D's is going to have the IR filter removed from the sensor stack, so I can do IR photography.

          Mark

          --- In canondigicamhacking@yahoogroups.com, "Fred A. Miller"
          > Well, not much good I can say about MickySoft. I normally build my own
          > boxen....this one is an Intel i7 2600 based system running reliably at
          > 4.3Ghz. and 16G fast RAM. CPU and RAM is cooled quite well. It's a nice
          > box to use Gimp for post processing images from my Canon 7D.
          >
          > Fred
        • Fred A. Miller
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 16, 2013
            On 07/16/2013 11:20 AM, Mark wrote:
            > I also just got another 300D off of Ebay, it's working, but has the broken secondary mirror pin. I need to see if I can repair the mirror ... this one's pretty bad, the spring's just hanging there, so I need to figure out how to get it back in place. Or I can mix and match with my 300D with the broken firmware and have one good camera. If I can get both working again, one of the 300D's is going to have the IR filter removed from the sensor stack, so I can do IR photography.

            You're having way too much fun! 8-)

            Fred

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 16, 2013
              No such thing as too much fun!