New to list

  • WendyK
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 16 4:11 PM
      Hello from Cocoa Florida! I am new to the list, but have been a Canon user for many years. I am a hobby photographer, wildlife, animals, nature, not big on people, and certainly no weddings!
      But anyway, I do have a big question. I love my SX 20 and would welcome any comments about upgrading to the SX30.........?
      My question, the videos are great quality and I would love to share, but the files are too big, is it a camera thing that I can adjust or do I need to find a program to enable me to do this?
      Thank you so much.
      Respectfully
      Wendy
      Cocoa, Florida
    • Fred A. Miller
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 16 7:47 PM
        On 04/16/2011 07:11 PM, WendyK wrote:
        > Hello from Cocoa Florida! I am new to the list, but have been a Canon user for many years. I am a hobby photographer, wildlife, animals, nature, not big on people, and certainly no weddings!
        > But anyway, I do have a big question. I love my SX 20 and would welcome any comments about upgrading to the SX30.........?
        > My question, the videos are great quality and I would love to share, but the files are too big, is it a camera thing that I can adjust or do I need to find a program to enable me to do this?
        > Thank you so much.

        Wendy, I'd suggest that you first consider what your present and at
        least near future needs are and are going to be before you decide to
        replace your present camera. You mention that the files are two big. Is
        that because you lack the software to process the images or.....? What
        size prints do you presently print or have printed? Will you need large
        prints in the future....i.e., 11x17, 13x19, or larger?

        I also use Canon equipment and only Canon lenses with mostly a 7D.

        Fred

        --
        "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it
        tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

      • Chaz
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 17 2:12 AM
          Fred Not sure what your replying to BUT Wendy is asking about Video.

          Wendy the video modes are (1280 x 720 (30 fps) 640 x 480 (30 fps), 320 x 240
          (30, 15 fps) if you set it at Max size the files will be larger but for
          small files use lower resolution, the down side to this is you will only
          have a low q if you shoot in high res and then make a copy with lower res
          for mailing you have best of both worlds, the 20 and 30 both have same video
          settings.

          Chaz

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 17 4:20 PM
            On 04/17/2011 05:12 AM, Chaz wrote:
            > Fred Not sure what your replying to BUT Wendy is asking about Video.
            >

            > Wendy the video modes are (1280 x 720 (30 fps) 640 x 480 (30 fps), 320 x 240
            > (30, 15 fps) if you set it at Max size the files will be larger but for
            > small files use lower resolution, the down side to this is you will only
            > have a low q if you shoot in high res and then make a copy with lower res
            > for mailing you have best of both worlds, the 20 and 30 both have same video
            > settings.

            Ok......wasn't quite sure if both or just video.

            Fred

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 18 5:42 AM
              Thank Chaz, Ihave lowered the shooting resolution to 320 and I will see what happens! I appreciate your suggestion.
              Regards,
              Wendy

              --- In canondigicamhacking@yahoogroups.com, "Chaz" <chaz.ent@...> wrote:

              > Fred Not sure what your replying to BUT Wendy is asking about Video.
              >

              > Wendy the video modes are (1280 x 720 (30 fps) 640 x 480 (30 fps), 320 x 240
              > (30, 15 fps) if you set it at Max size the files will be larger but for
              > small files use lower resolution, the down side to this is you will only
              > have a low q if you shoot in high res and then make a copy with lower res
              > for mailing you have best of both worlds, the 20 and 30 both have same video
              > settings.
              >

              > Chaz

            • sharpstik
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 18 5:52 AM
                Your manual is your friend. You didn't say what resolution you are set at, what size card you are using, or what size you are hoping to get. Adjust those variables and you will have smaller files. That's (probably)all you can do with the camera itself.
                You can use software to convert the files to smaller lower quality files(lower resolution or higher compression), but they won't look as good.
                (it's helpful to create a subject line that describes your problem as I've changed this one)
                bill keiser