300D freeze

  • jir_jp005
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 7, 2011
      Hey all,

      Just got the old 300D, and tried using it for timelapse photos using the EOS utility that came with the 550D. And for some reason, it always seem to freeze after 2 photos taken. And it says busy on the LCD, n the only way to stop it is well to turn it off and on again.

      Anyone had this problem or knows how to fix it?

      I don't have this problem with the 550.

      Anyways, thanks in advance.

      Cheers,

      Justin
    • dirk-jan boon
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 7, 2011
        Well the 300D is significant different and slower than a 550D , How do you
        shoot raw jpeg ? and jpeg is fine (size) ? well than it is normal to take a
        long time depending on the speed of the card it can take a extremly long 45
        sec > min or more to write from the buffer to your card

        _____

        Just got the old 300D, and tried using it for timelapse photos using the EOS
        utility that came with the 550D. And for some reason, it always seem to
        freeze after 2 photos taken. And it says busy on the LCD, n the only way to
        stop it is well to turn it off and on again.

        Anyone had this problem or knows how to fix it?

        I don't have this problem with the 550.

        Anyways, thanks in advance.

        Cheers,

        Justin

        _____

        size=1 width="100%" noshade color="#a0a0a0" align=center>

        Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
        Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
        Versie: 10.0.1204 / Virusdatabase: 1435/3426 - datum van uitgifte: 02/06/11

        _____

        Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
        Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
        Versie: 10.0.1204 / Virusdatabase: 1435/3426 - datum van uitgifte: 02/06/11

      • Dan Pope
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 7, 2011
          Does it use USB to communicate with the camera? The 300D's internal computer was based on DOS (believe it or not) whereas the 550D is a totally different system internally, so I don't know how similar the remote commands are for the two cameras. They may be nearly identical, or could be completely different. Is there any 300D control software, and if so have you checked to see if it's downloadable online? If it isn't, have a look for software for the 10D, since it's essentially the same camera internally, except for the superior metal housing and a couple of other minor differences. 10D control codes will work on the 300D almost definitely.

          A surefire way to make it work is to homebrew something using the remote shutter connector - I don't know if anyone has bothered making something for this purpose, but if you're into electronics (even if a complete novice) you could knock something up easily enough, e.g. using the parallel LPT port of the PC and some open-collector output 74 series gates to act as the switches in the remote shutter. That would then work on any camera that uses the same remote commander, barring physical differences in the connector. I only have a 10D, 20D and 400D here - the 10D and 20D use the three pin RS-80N3 - I think all the full size DSLRs do, including 1Ds, 50D etc right down to the original D30. The 400D has some kind of mini jack though - I can only see the socket, but it looks like a miniature version of a headphone jack. I suspect the 550D uses the same thing.

          Alternatively, you could make a circuit using a 555 timer (electronics again I'm afraid). The 555 can handle quite long delays, and is surprisingly accurate. The circuit would literally be about a pound / 2 dollars to construct.

          I have to say I've found every piece of Canon's software to be utterly shoddy, so I'd be quite tempted to bypass it altogether and build something if you have time.

          Out of interest, is there no time-lapse option on the 550D? The 400D here is dismantled so I can't check, but years ago Canon made a compact image-stabilised point&shoot, the Powershot S1 IS, a 3MP camera from around 2004. That had time-lapse built in, although Canon called it something really retarded like 'Intervalometer' and I think it had a stupid limit of 100 shots, which basically made it not very useful. Canon, Sony, Nikon - they all have a habit of doing this - taking a good idea or function, and arbitrarily ruining it for no reason at all. Good job guys!
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          This document should only be read by those persons to whom it is addressed, and be used by them for its intended purpose; it must not otherwise be reproduced, copied, disseminated, disclosed, modified, distributed, published or actioned. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by emailing cis@... and delete it from your computer immediately. This email address must not be passed on to any third party nor be used for any other purpose.

          Please note: Incoming and outgoing e-mail messages are routinely monitored for compliance with our IT security, and email/internet policy.

          This signature also confirms that this email message has been swept for the presence of computer viruses and malicious code.
        • Steve Yeager
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 7, 2011
            LOL. Sorry, but I can't hold it. Just wander how many photographers know
            anything about 555 timers and Open Collector 74 chips? Sure it's easy to
            make if you are EE, have soldering iron and some prototype boards. And
            chips and other components. J

            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            notify us immediately by emailing cis@... <mailto:cis%40cytrus.net>
            and delete it from your computer immediately. This email address must not be
            passed on to any third party nor be used for any other purpose.

            Please note: Incoming and outgoing e-mail messages are routinely monitored
            for compliance with our IT security, and email/internet policy.

            This signature also confirms that this email message has been swept for the
            presence of computer viruses and malicious code.
          • Balaji Narayanan (பாலாஜி ந
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 8, 2011
              555's and 4017's decade counter to build fancy lights - way back in
              school when I was doing toy projects.

              -balaji

              http://balajin.net/blog
              http://flic.kr/balajijegan