haking powershot a75 to work without lens unit

  • koorosh_hakhaa
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 16, 2010
      hello
      powershot a75 when the cable lens unite disconnected from the main board show e18 error (lens error)on lcd and camera power off,how change firmware to work main board without the lens unit???
    • ccs_hello
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 17, 2010
        AFAIK, there is no firmware modification to disable the "lens is functional" check (in which the error condition generates e18 code).
        From a camera mfg point of view, there is no reason to keep the camera working when a faulty condition is detected.

        My hardware hack is to generate a hardware signal to satisfy the "lens functional check".

        ccs_hello

        --- In canondigicamhacking@yahoogroups.com, "koorosh_hakhaa" <koorosh_hakhaa@...> wrote:

        > hello
        > powershot a75 when the cable lens unite disconnected from the main board show e18 error (lens error)on lcd and camera power off,how change firmware to work main board without the lens unit???

      • Dan Pope
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 18, 2010
          If you want to do this in firmware, you'll need to patch the routine that handles lens initialisation. It's doable. Almost certainly not worth the effort though. I believe these cameras use embedded x86 microcontrollers, which likely means a lot of segment addressing would be needed (the paged mode addressing of these processors means any code bigger than 64kbytes relies on a hideous scheme of 'segments' to make the address space bigger, and it is not pleasant to work with especially when patching other people's code).

          If that doesn't make any sense, don't even think about attempting it. Instead, time how long / number of cycles it takes for the lens motor to be active before the zoom end-stop sensor signals low, then use a PIC or something to reproduce the behaviour. Sony cameras usually have a rotary encoder on the zoom motor, which you could count using a microcontroller. I don't know about the A75. If it doesn't, you could simply produce the signal using just an NE555 timer in monostable configuration. There should be plenty on google if you want to try that.

          This document should only be read by those persons to whom it is addressed, and be used by them for its intended purpose; it must not otherwise be reproduced, copied, disseminated, disclosed, modified, distributed, published or actioned. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by emailing cis@... and delete it from your computer immediately. This email address must not be passed on to any third party nor be used for any other purpose.

          Please note: Incoming and outgoing e-mail messages are routinely monitored for compliance with our IT security, and email/internet policy.

          This signature also confirms that this email message has been swept for the presence of computer viruses and malicious code.