remove lens from a p&s and still have camera be functional?

  • BabaG
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 11, 2010
      anyone know of a posted howto on removing the lens from a p&s camera without
      rendering it inoperable?

      i'm interested in trying to use a p&s with a VERY nice nikkor copy lens for bench-
      mounted imaging. only way to effectively do this, that i can see, would be to get
      rid of the cheap glass of the p&s so the nikkor can do its thing. i assume, though,
      that this would require something like shorting some connections to keep the
      camera from freaking out and deciding it's broken and refusing to operate.

      thanks,
      BabaG

    • Bryan B
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 11, 2010
        --- In canondigicamhacking@yahoogroups.com, BabaG <grlockwood@...> wrote:

        > anyone know of a posted howto on removing the lens from a p&s camera without
        > rendering it inoperable?

        I have removed the lens on a couple of CHEAP p&s cameras, you just need to get it open then the lens assembly simply unscrews after defeating any glue that has been applied to the threads. Good luck.
        Also there are many how tos on the web, just google remove lens from camera or lensectomy or whatever else you can think of that is appropriate.
      • BabaG
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 11, 2010
          thanks, Bryan B.

          you could continue to shoot without the built-in lens?

          thanks,
          BabaG

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 15, 2010
            --- In canondigicamhacking@yahoogroups.com, BabaG <grlockwood@...> wrote:

            > thanks, Bryan B.
            >
            > you could continue to shoot without the built-in lens?
            >
            > thanks,
            > BabaG

            Yes but these were VERY CHEAP cameras no focus or zoom and the lens was fixed (did not extend at power up). if your camera has any moving parts in the lens assembly it might not function after removal.
          • ccs_hello
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 18, 2010
              It is possible for some selected Canon P&S cameras.
              See my work ( lensless P&S camera ) in November 2008:

              http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/2742127

              Note you do need to have a user account to see pictures.

              ccs_hello
            • peca@kostic.cc
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 19, 2010
                Hello,
                how about carefully removing just the glass from the lens assembly and
                then putting it all back together?
              • ccs_hello
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 19, 2010
                  Canon P&S lens assembly is rather complicated. Not easy to take it apart. Putting it back is even more difficult. In my case, I only want to "play" with the not-so-functional (means lens error) P&S. So even if I can put it back, the lens unit will still give the error message anyway.

                  ccs_hello