Canon I5 IS video modification

  • __A_YAHOO_USER__
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 8, 2010
      Hope this is not too off topic, but I have a Canon I5 IS digital camera which has a great video capability. Only problem with it is that any given clip is limited to 4 GB which only amounts to around 30 min. Does anyone know how to modify this feature to allow it to run continuously for 1 hr or out to 8 GB which is the limit of the size of card that it can accommodate? Thanks for any information that anyone can impart.

      Ken Lum
    • Jean-Luc Coulon

        The problem is not with the media size but with maximum file size.
        The card format is FAT32 and FAT32 allows a maximum file size of 4GiB,
        see : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table#FAT32

        Regards

        Jean-Luc

        Le 08/06/2010 09:40, __A_YAHOO_USER__ a écrit :

        > > Hope this is not too off topic, but I have a Canon I5 IS digital camera
        > > which has a great video capability. Only problem with it is that any
        > > given clip is limited to 4 GB which only amounts to around 30 min. Does
        > > anyone know how to modify this feature to allow it to run continuously
        > > for 1 hr or out to 8 GB which is the limit of the size of card that it
        > > can accommodate? Thanks for any information that anyone can impart.
        > >
        > > Ken Lum
      • Kenneth Lum
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 8, 2010
          Hi Jean-Luc:
          Thanks for the info. Looks like will have to go to another video
          camera should I wish to exceed this file size.

          Ken L.
          =====================

        • Matt Slocum
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 8, 2010
            (edited by moderator to trim excessive text)

            Don't some cameras support partitioned cards? You could partition your 8GB
            to two 4GB disks. I think my SX200IS supports partitions. It probably stops
            after the first one is full though. I doubt it automatically rolls over
            without stopping so that probably doesn't help. Maybe someone knows how to
            make it smooth?

            > > The problem is not with the media size but with maximum file size.
            > > The card format is FAT32 and FAT32 allows a maximum file size of 4GiB,

            > > that any
            > > min. Does
            > > continuously
            > > that it
            > > impart.

          • CHRISTOPHER HARRISON
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 8, 2010
              Hi Jean,
              Sorry only just read your post. Before you go out and buy another video camera, may I suggest that you go to canon site. In some cases it might be that you might need to update your FAT 32 files, I have by chance found that I need to update mine. If you do not feel confident to do it try going to your local canon shop, but check on-line first to see if there is any other way. I have posted a link below for you to look for support for your camera.
              regards
              Chris

              http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/

            • Jean-Luc Coulon

                Once again, FAT32 allows the use of huge filesystems.
                You can manage a disk (or card or evertything else) as big as 8TiB !
                But any individual file cannot be bigger than 4GiB.

                The only way would be to roll over several files…

                Jean-Luc