Canon 50D Video?

  • vosgolf03
    Message 1 of 7 , May 18, 2010
      I was wondering if anyone here on the CamHacking group has heard of a firmware upgrade to the 50D that would allow the taking of HD video clips. I made the mistake of posting this on the 50D group first which managed to bring out the worst of the group. At the risk of being called a heretic and insane again, I thought I would try again here. I would be happy to pay for it and I don't expect Canon to provide it to enhance customer satisfaction. Thanks...Dave V
    • Ed A
      Message 2 of 7 , May 19, 2010
        I don't think so. Hacking brings enhanced features, not new features.

        On 5/19/2010 7:27 AM, vosgolf03 wrote:

        > I was wondering if anyone here on the CamHacking group has heard of a
        > firmware upgrade to the 50D that would allow the taking of HD video
        > clips. I made the mistake of posting this on the 50D group first which
        > managed to bring out the worst of the group. At the risk of being
        > called a heretic and insane again, I thought I would try again here. I
        > would be happy to pay for it and I don't expect Canon to provide it to
        > enhance customer satisfaction. Thanks...Dave V

      • Henry Heerschap
        Message 3 of 7 , May 19, 2010
          Someone did a proof-of-concept hack of the 40D that provided video, albeit
          without sound. They never made it public and the interest pretty well died
          down. About the only thing I could suggest, if it's really important, would
          be to sell the 50D and either spend more for the 7D or less for the T2i,
          which has an astonishingly full set of video features. In many respects, it
          offers more than the 5D Mark II in the video department.

          Message 4 of 7 , May 19, 2010
            Thanks to the responders. I remember the "Undutchable" hack to the 300D which made my Rebel into a 10D and many new features were added. In order to save costs, Canon uses many components and firmware commonly across their product lines and I was just wondering if any of you in the group have inside info on video. It would be a nice feature to have but I won't be losing any sleep over it...Dave V

            Message 5 of 7 , May 19, 2010
              It's interesting. There is a firmware project called Magic Lantern for the
              5D Mark II to make it more useful to videographers (manual controls, audio
              meters, gain control, etc.) . Canon has actually incorporated some of them
              into official firmware.

              Henry

              wrote:

              > Someone did a proof-of-concept hack of the 40D that provided video, albeit
              > without sound. They never made it public and the interest pretty well died
              > down. About the only thing I could suggest, if it's really important,
              would
              > be to sell the 50D and either spend more for the 7D or less for the T2i,
              > which has an astonishingly full set of video features. In many respects,
              it
              > offers more than the 5D Mark II in the video department.

            • skyview32000
              Message 6 of 7 , May 19, 2010
                (edited by moderator to fix broken link and trim reply)

                Here's the link:

                <http://hackaday.com/2008/09/23/canon-40d-hacked-to-record-movies/>

                Regards,

                Richard Jordan

                --- "Henry Heerschap" <henry@...> wrote:

                > Someone did a proof-of-concept hack of the 40D that provided video, albeit
                > without sound.
                >

                > On 5/19/2010 7:27 AM, vosgolf03 wrote:
                > >
                > > I was wondering if anyone here on the CamHacking group has heard of a
                > > firmware upgrade to the 50D that would allow the taking of HD video
                > > clips. . . .
              • Steve Yeager
                Message 7 of 7 , May 20, 2010
                  Just want to make things straight about Undutchables hack. 300D was the
                  first affordable DSLR on the market. And some Russian guy nicknamed Wasia
                  discovered that it used same firmware as D10 with some functions disabled.
                  We used his discovery and found a way to enable some of the extra hidden
                  functions. Main credit goes to Lex from Netherlands. So it's why the hack
                  has its name. And I was just running the forum and doing mods to the tools
                  that Lex developed. If you want to see the full story, go to
                  http://www.syeager.org/300d/forum/index.php - but it's just a history. I
                  doubt that anyone who can afford D50 or D5 will ever engage in hacking,
                  unless they have nothing else to do.

                  Thanks to the responders. I remember the "Undutchable" hack to the 300D
                  which made my Rebel into a 10D and many new features were added. In order to
                  save costs, Canon uses many components and firmware commonly across their
                  product lines and I was just wondering if any of you in the group have
                  inside info on video. It would be a nice feature to have but I won't be
                  losing any sleep over it...Dave V

                  --- In canondigicamhacking@yahoogroups.com
                  <mailto:canondigicamhacking%40yahoogroups.com> , "Henry Heerschap"