controlling a 350D via USB

  • yuval_levy
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 23, 2009
      Hello all, my first post here

      I'm looking to control the 350D via USB. I have Canon's SDK but it only works on x86 and I would like to use a microcontroller for this. So I need a documentation of the USB communication protocol.

      I've seen <http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/canon/> and the 350D is not supported there.

      Before I get down to painfully reverse engineer and document the communication, is anybody here aware of a document describing the communication protocol of the 350D?

      If I find no such document, I will go about reverse engineering. My plan is to attach the camera to a PC, write a set of basic operations with Canon's SDK and use <http://www.pcausa.com/Utilities/UsbSnoop/> to observe them so that I can mimick them on the microcontroller. Since I am new to this kind of things, there may be better alternatives to my plan? I am open for suggestion and hope to get help from the vast amount of expertise collected in this group.

      Yuv
    • TristanMoore
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 24, 2009
        Hi,

        Take a look at gphoto <http://gphoto.org/> (specifically libgphoto2)
        It's open source and able to control my 20D via USB no problem (the 350D is also listed on there)
        If nothing else, it'll give you a head start on the protocol.

        Tris

        --- In canondigicamhacking@yahoogroups.com, "yuval_levy" <yuval_levy@...> wrote:

        > Hello all, my first post here
        >
        > I'm looking to control the 350D via USB. I have Canon's SDK but it only works on x86 and I would like to use a microcontroller for this. So I need a documentation of the USB communication protocol.
        >
        > I've seen <http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/canon/> and the 350D is not supported there.
        >
        > Before I get down to painfully reverse engineer and document the communication, is anybody here aware of a document describing the communication protocol of the 350D?
        >
        > If I find no such document, I will go about reverse engineering. My plan is to attach the camera to a PC, write a set of basic operations with Canon's SDK and use <http://www.pcausa.com/Utilities/UsbSnoop/> to observe them so that I can mimick them on the microcontroller. Since I am new to this kind of things, there may be better alternatives to my plan? I am open for suggestion and hope to get help from the vast amount of expertise collected in this group.
        >
        > Yuv

      • Philippe
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 24, 2009
          google for multican

          On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 11:49 PM, TristanMoore<tristanmoore@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > Take a look at gphoto <http://gphoto.org/> (specifically libgphoto2)
          > It's open source and able to control my 20D via USB no problem (the 350D is
          > also listed on there)
          > If nothing else, it'll give you a head start on the protocol.
          >
          > Tris
          >
          > --- In canondigicamhacking@yahoogroups.com, "yuval_levy" <yuval_levy@...>
          > wrote:
          >>
          >> Hello all, my first post here
          >>
          >> I'm looking to control the 350D via USB. I have Canon's SDK but it only
          >> works on x86 and I would like to use a microcontroller for this. So I need a
          >> documentation of the USB communication protocol.
          >>
          >> I've seen <http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/canon/> and the 350D is
          >> not supported there.
          >>
          >> Before I get down to painfully reverse engineer and document the
          >> communication, is anybody here aware of a document describing the
          >> communication protocol of the 350D?
          >>
          >> If I find no such document, I will go about reverse engineering. My plan
          >> is to attach the camera to a PC, write a set of basic operations with
          >> Canon's SDK and use <http://www.pcausa.com/Utilities/UsbSnoop/> to observe
          >> them so that I can mimick them on the microcontroller. Since I am new to
          >> this kind of things, there may be better alternatives to my plan? I am open
          >> for suggestion and hope to get help from the vast amount of expertise
          >> collected in this group.
          >>
          >> Yuv

        • Fred A. Miller
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 24, 2009
            TristanMoore wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > Take a look at gphoto <http://gphoto.org/> (specifically libgphoto2)
            > It's open source and able to control my 20D via USB no problem (the 350D is also listed on there)
            > If nothing else, it'll give you a head start on the protocol.

            If using Linux, you have even more options. ;)

            Fred

            --
            "Where's The Birth Certificate?"
          • r.goncalves
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 31, 2009
              Could you list those options for Linux ? I have just downloaded Ubuntu here
              (first time linuxing)thanks.
              rodrigo