capturing without a lens on a p&s shutterless

  • BabaG
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 23 8:43 PM
      i'm interested in doing some long-duration capturing that will generate thousands of
      frames. think security cam only much higher quality.

      i already have a 5d but it has a weak shutter mechanism. it's already been replaced
      once, and is currently in to have the replacement replaced. for that reason i'm now
      looking into the possibility of going shutterless. i read this article and it got me thinking:

      http://cockeyed.com/lessons/canon_sd750/canon_sd750_01.php

      my rig right now is using a separate lens (a nice nikon copy lens) so i don't need the
      camera lens anyway. does anyone know if i remove the lens as described in the
      article and never replace it with a new one, will the camera be able to snap frames
      like that? it would be the perfect solution for what i want to do. it would remove all of
      the mechanical stress issues that seem to be destroying the 5d's shutters. in other
      words, what i want to do is to remove the lens from a p&s shutterless camera and
      be able to shoot frames without a lens in place.

      i'd also want to use the chdk firmware to get at raw images.

      thanks for any thoughts,
      BabaG

    • Bruce Parsons
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 24 5:55 AM
        Isn't the new four thirds camera from Panasonic "shutterless" - with a removable lens too.

        Bruce

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 24 7:12 AM
          How many exposures did it take to wear out each of the shutters in your 5D?

          Mr. Bill

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 24 9:58 AM
            thanks for the tip, bruce. interesting. one thing, though. i haven't done any testing
            with a panasonic, but the tests i did with a nikon d200 vs my canon 5d showed a
            marked difference in quality. the canon digic sensors seem to be at the top of the
            game. i haven't found anything about the panasonic sensors. i assume they're not
            using digic and that digic is proprietary to canon. if that's true, i still might be better
            off trying to cannibalize a canon p&s. any further thoughts?

            thanks again,
            BabaG
            (n00b)

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 24 10:38 AM
              thanks bruce. interesting. have not tested a panasonic but i have tested my
              canon 5d against a nikon d200 and found that the digic sensor of the canon
              was markedly better. my guess is that it's also better tan what panasonic has
              but observations are welcome. i haveseen some tests online of a canon rebel
              vs the panasonic. the canon came out better.

              saw an interesting hi speed video online also of the panasonic's shutterless
              shutter mechanism in action. do all shutterless p&s cameras actualy have
              some kind of shuttering mechanism? or do some handle exposure by software
              alone? or do they mix?

              anyway, seems like the original idea of tinkering with a canon might still be the
              best thing in view of the advantage of the digic sensor, which, i assume, is
              canon proprietary and not offered in any other manufacturers' cams. any
              further thoughts?

              thanks again,
              BabaG

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 24 12:56 PM
                The article you mentioned in your original post had the lens/shutter/AND sensor assembly removed. Even if you could remove just the lens and shutter,
                I do not believe you will be able to take a picture with the sensor continuously exposed. I don't know how Panasonic has done it with the G1 but
                no shutter = no moving parts to wear out like your 5D.

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 24 5:05 PM
                  i'm photograhing into a projector. if removing the lens and shutter still allows the
                  sensor to send images to the card or a computer (i'm using the eos utility to
                  capture directly to a computer), maybe i could attach something to the projector
                  to black the frame between images rather than having the camera do it. any
                  thoughts?

                  thanks,
                  BabaG

                  From: Bruce Parsons <brucelparsons@ hotmail.com>

                  To: canondigicamhacking @yahoogroups. com

                  Date: Tuesday, March 24, 2009, 5:55 AM

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 27 10:30 AM
                    i don't know for sure but it's in the window of what people seem to consider
                    'normal': ~100k. i name my capture series individually and start them with
                    0 so i don't have a running tally of shots. from what i understand, canon does
                    not make available the internal actuation tally so i can't refer to that either.

                    i'm looking to extend the 'normal' range for the shutter, though, as a single
                    roll (1200 feet) of 16mm film is about 48000 frames. my thinking is that, if i
                    can eliminate all moving parts and just use the sensor, the longevity would
                    be extended and maintenance costs vastly reduced. this is, of course, all in
                    the context of my, rather specialized, usage.

                    thanks,
                    BabaG

                    BabaG wrote:

                    > i'm interested in doing some long-duration capturing that will generate

                    > thousands of

                    > frames. think security cam only much higher quality.

                    > i already have a 5d but it has a weak shutter mechanism. it's already

                    > been replaced

                    > once, and is currently in to have the replacement replaced. for that

                    > reason i'm now

                    > looking into the possibility of going shutterless. i read this article

                    > and it got me thinking:

                    > http://cockeyed. com/lessons/ canon_sd750/ canon_sd750_ 01.php

                    > <http://cockeyed. com/lessons/ canon_sd750/ canon_sd750_ 01.php>

                    > my rig right now is using a separate lens (a nice nikon copy lens) so i

                    > don't need the

                    > camera lens anyway. does anyone know if i remove the lens as described

                    > in the

                    > article and never replace it with a new one, will the camera be able to

                    > snap frames

                    > like that? it would be the perfect solution for what i want to do. it

                    > would remove all of

                    > the mechanical stress issues that seem to be destroying the 5d's

                    > shutters. in other

                    > words, what i want to do is to remove the lens from a p&s shutterless

                    > camera and

                    > be able to shoot frames without a lens in place.

                  • Chaz
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 27 10:39 AM
                      Fogive me for saying this but

                      Why not use a cam and project on a rear screen?

                      Or is that too easy? Much quicker I would have thought

                      Chaz

                      From: Bill Gillooly <mrbillg@... <mailto:mrbillg%40verizon.net> >
                      shutterless
                      To: canondigicamhacking@yahoogroups.com
                      <mailto:canondigicamhacking%40yahoogroups.com>
                      Date: Tuesday, March 24, 2009, 7:12 AM

                      BabaG wrote:

                      > i'm interested in doing some long-duration capturing that will generate

                      > thousands of

                      > frames. think security cam only much higher quality.

                      > i already have a 5d but it has a weak shutter mechanism. it's already

                      > been replaced

                      > once, and is currently in to have the replacement replaced. for that

                      > reason i'm now

                      > looking into the possibility of going shutterless. i read this article

                      > and it got me thinking:

                      > http://cockeyed. com/lessons/ canon_sd750/ canon_sd750_ 01.php

                      > <http://cockeyed. com/lessons/ canon_sd750/ canon_sd750_ 01.php>

                      > my rig right now is using a separate lens (a nice nikon copy lens) so i

                      > don't need the

                      > camera lens anyway. does anyone know if i remove the lens as described

                      > in the

                      > article and never replace it with a new one, will the camera be able to

                      > snap frames

                      > like that? it would be the perfect solution for what i want to do. it

                      > would remove all of

                      > the mechanical stress issues that seem to be destroying the 5d's

                      > shutters. in other

                      > words, what i want to do is to remove the lens from a p&s shutterless

                      > camera and

                      > be able to shoot frames without a lens in place.

                      07:13:00

                    • BabaG
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 27 10:47 AM
                        and MUCH lower quality.

                        BabaG

                        --- On Tue, 3/24/09, Bill Gillooly <mrbillg@verizon. net

                        From: Bill Gillooly <mrbillg@verizon. net <mailto:mrbillg% 40verizon. net> >

                        shutterless

                        To: canondigicamhacking @yahoogroups. com

                        <mailto:canondigica mhacking% 40yahoogroups. com>

                        Date: Tuesday, March 24, 2009, 7:12 AM

                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 27 10:52 AM
                          But how are you going to show the films when in digital format?

                          You will be limited to the resolution of what ever equipment you view it
                          with.

                          Chaz

                          From: Chaz <chaz.ent@... <mailto:chaz.ent%40btinternet.com> >
                          shutterless
                          To: canondigicamhacking@yahoogroups.com
                          <mailto:canondigicamhacking%40yahoogroups.com>

                          From: Bill Gillooly <mrbillg@verizon. net <mailto:mrbillg% 40verizon. net> >

                          shutterless

                          To: canondigicamhacking @yahoogroups. com

                          <mailto:canondigica mhacking% 40yahoogroups. com>

                          Date: Tuesday, March 24, 2009, 7:12 AM

                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 27 11:05 AM
                            and, as that equipment gets better, i want my stored original to be better than
                            or equal to the level of the new equipment. i want my digital copy to be better
                            so that i can copy to a lower resolution that matches whatever is available at
                            the time. film projection is getting harder to find, as are parts. this will only get
                            worse over time. i want to do this digitizing only once, if possible, so it should
                            be done at a quality that will last as digital projection improves.

                            thanks,
                            BabaG

                            From: Chaz <chaz.ent@btinternet .com <mailto:chaz. ent%40btinternet .com> >

                            shutterless

                            To: canondigicamhacking @yahoogroups. com

                            <mailto:canondigica mhacking% 40yahoogroups. com>

                            From: canondigicamhacking @yahoogroups. com

                            From: Bill Gillooly <mrbillg@verizon. net <mailto:mrbillg% 40verizon. net> >

                            shutterless

                            To: canondigicamhacking @yahoogroups. com

                            <mailto:canondigica mhacking% 40yahoogroups. com>

                            Date: Tuesday, March 24, 2009, 7:12 AM

                            BabaG wrote:

                            > i'm interested in doing some long-duration capturing that will generate

                            > thousands of

                            > frames. think security cam only much higher quality.

                            > i already have a 5d but it has a weak shutter mechanism. it's already

                            > been replaced

                            > once, and is currently in to have the replacement replaced. for that

                            > reason i'm now

                            > looking into the possibility of going shutterless. i read this article

                            > and it got me thinking:

                            > http://cockeyed. com/lessons/ canon_sd750/ canon_sd750_ 01.php

                            > <http://cockeyed. com/lessons/ canon_sd750/ canon_sd750_ 01.php>

                            > my rig right now is using a separate lens (a nice nikon copy lens) so i

                            > don't need the

                            > camera lens anyway. does anyone know if i remove the lens as described

                            > in the

                            > article and never replace it with a new one, will the camera be able to

                            > snap frames

                            > like that? it would be the perfect solution for what i want to do. it

                            > would remove all of

                            > the mechanical stress issues that seem to be destroying the 5d's

                            > shutters. in other

                            > words, what i want to do is to remove the lens from a p&s shutterless

                            > camera and

                            > be able to shoot frames without a lens in place.

                            07:13:00

                            07:13:00

                          • ccs_hello
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 29 8:00 PM
                              BabaG and others,

                              Please note the link in your original post is just a lens unit one-for-one swap as a repairment job.

                              I did my lensless mod in a CHDK capable P&S digicam in Nov '08. It was successful given that if the constraints are also workable in your situations. The experiment was cut short in few days due to the flex cable was torn (some essential lens unit which must remain, but my mistake not having it fully-secured, is heavy) and few circuit traces were gone.

                              My application is in prime-focus astrophotogry and the detail was described in a well known astro forum.

                              Few information to take away:
                              1a. the CCD used (and most of them used in those P&S digicams using SONY CCDs) actually requires multiple field readout cycles, i.e., there is no electronic shutter capability (not true progressive mode CCD). If used without mechanical shutter (which is in the lens unit), in daylight shooting, severe banding will show.
                              1b. only in movie mode, CCD readout method can work, since in that configuration CCD is in the progressive mode, i.e., electronic shutter is effective even in day light shooting.
                              2. need to use CHDK to defeat NR in long exposure mode shooting, since without mechanical shutter, the NR dark substract becomes "actual" minus "actual", which results to "nothing".
                              3. lens unit has two zero-position sensors and a quadarture detector for DC perm-mag power-zoom motor. Camera's CPU needs to see these sensor fully functional at expected time.
                              4. I've derived a way to manually trick power-zoom zero-position sensor to get the camera CPU happy in the lensless configuration. BTW, broken power-zoom helicoid seems to be the most commonly seen problem in these P&S digicams.

                              ccs_hello