changing 300D AF button

  • Sanjiv
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 26, 2007
      Hi, just joined today, and need a solution what is (perhaps) a common
      problem...

      My EOS 300D has a common problem.. The shutter button does not do AF
      and metering when I half press it.. Instead, AF, manual focus/
      confirmation metering & shutter release all happen together.. The 2
      stage shooting process has become just one, turning all creative
      modes into point and shoot (with AV-+ adjustments)..

      The problem lies with a superthin flexible metal sheet under the
      shutter release button that acts as the separator betweeen the 2
      functions of the shutter release button, (i.e. AF/metering and firing
      the shutter).. it has lost its flexibility, and I'm told this cant
      be fixed/replaced.

      Since this is entirely a button-based issue there is no problem while
      using a remote cable release.. It works with AF/metering half press,
      like it's supposed to. My solution so far has been using a remote
      cable release to AF/focus confirm/meter through halfpress, and then
      recompose and shoot by fully pressing the remote cable button.. the
      wire is a bit of a pain in daily use though, especially with manual
      focus.

      I just installed the last Warsia hack, and was hoping it would let me
      move the AF/ manual focus confirmation to another button and solve
      the problem, but this is apparently not possible.. Does anybody know
      of a way to move the AF/focus confirmation function away from the
      shutter release button and on to another button, like the exposure
      lock or arrow keys? I basically need to be able to achieve and lock
      AF or get infocus confirmation dot before composing my shots.

      Or any other solution? i am almost considering taping the remote
      cable release onto the camera!!

      Thanks in advance
      Sanjiv
    • Ivan S. Harris Photography
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 6, 2007
        The 300d is known for that shutter problem...I had to buy another camera!
        sent from ISH Photography BlackBerry®
        "Be Immortalized"
        www.myspace.com/ivansharris
        www.ivansharris.com

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 6, 2007
          Sanjiv,

          "1- it has lost its flexibility, 2- and I'm told this cant
          be fixed/replaced"
          1.how many pictures you've taken so far? 2.try talking to your local
          authorized technical assistance. I believe if you have a reasonible number
          of shoots taken, they will provide you with a replace of the device or
          something like that.

          See you

          Felipe

          --
          Felipe Guarnieri

          Learn...
          Chinese - www.ZapChinese.com
          English - www.ZapEnglish.com
          French - www.ZapFrench.com
          German - www.ZapGerman.com
          Italian - www.ZapItalian.com
          Portuguese - www.EasyPortuguese.com
          Spanish - www.SpaniCity.com

        • Alex
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 6, 2007
            How about having Canon's Factory Service fix the problem?
            Alex

          • Roy Gao
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 6, 2007
              DIY: http://www.lotek.nu/misc/EOS_300D_sub-mirror_repair/

              It is not that difficult and you don't need a lot of tools. Once you fix it,
              it would last as long as 30D/5D I guess.

              > Hi, just joined today, and need a solution what is (perhaps) a common
              > problem...
              >
              > My EOS 300D has a common problem.. The shutter button does not do AF
              > and metering when I half press it.. Instead, AF, manual focus/
              > confirmation metering & shutter release all happen together.. The 2
              > stage shooting process has become just one, turning all creative
              > modes into point and shoot (with AV-+ adjustments)..
              >
              > The problem lies with a superthin flexible metal sheet under the
              > shutter release button that acts as the separator betweeen the 2
              > functions of the shutter release button, (i.e. AF/metering and firing
              > the shutter).. it has lost its flexibility, and I'm told this cant
              > be fixed/replaced.
              >
              > Since this is entirely a button-based issue there is no problem while
              > using a remote cable release.. It works with AF/metering half press,
              > like it's supposed to. My solution so far has been using a remote
              > cable release to AF/focus confirm/meter through halfpress, and then
              > recompose and shoot by fully pressing the remote cable button.. the
              > wire is a bit of a pain in daily use though, especially with manual
              > focus.
              >
              > I just installed the last Warsia hack, and was hoping it would let me
              > move the AF/ manual focus confirmation to another button and solve
              > the problem, but this is apparently not possible.. Does anybody know
              > of a way to move the AF/focus confirmation function away from the
              > shutter release button and on to another button, like the exposure
              > lock or arrow keys? I basically need to be able to achieve and lock
              > AF or get infocus confirmation dot before composing my shots.
              >
              > Or any other solution? i am almost considering taping the remote
              > cable release onto the camera!!
              >
              > Thanks in advance
              > Sanjiv
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • sanjiv valsan
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 7, 2007
                Roy, thanks for the link (and the other useful ones it led to), wish I had it earlier
                because I already had that broken submirror AF problem last year and had it fixed..

                This one, however, I am given to understand, is more to do with a thin metal strip under
                the shutter button that acts a separator between AF/ exposure meter activation (on half
                press) and shutter release (on full press). This strip loses its flexibility and becomes
                useless with regular use. Canon apparently lowered the quality of the parts on the 300D
                to lower the price at the time and make it inferior to the more expensive 10D, which
                otherwise shares the same image quality with the 300D..

                Sending it to Canon for repair costs more than half of what I'd get by selling the camera
                today! It made me go back to shooting on film!!

                My idea (inspired by fab job done by the firmware hackers) was to find a firmware hacking
                solutuion whereby the AF function of the shutter button could be moved to another button
                on the camera..

                It might become a fix for this issue on all future models where important buttons wear
                out. since I'm no whiz at hacking, what I was wondering in the last post was if anybody
                here might have any solutions

                Sanjiv

                http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/
              • David Hoyt
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 15, 2007
                  If the problem is indeed with the flexible circuit card, it can be fixed (replaced). It is not a easy fix as the camera has to be diassembled to a great degree and several circuit cards have to be desoldered and resoldered. Attached are a few pics that are self explanatory. They will give you an idea of the extent of the repair.

                  --
                  Felipe Guarnieri

                  Learn...
                  Chinese - www.ZapChinese.com