Re: Somewhat off topic help needed for 300d!

  • ccs_hello
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2007
      Jerry,

      300D is 100% controlled by mechanical shutter.
      Its CMOS sensor has no electronic shutter.

      ccs_hello

      --- In canondigicamhacking@yahoogroups.com, "starz00700" <kkinzel@...>
      wrote:

      > I modified a 300d which I purchased on
      > e-bay by removing IR filter. Shutter was broken and no mirror. When I
      > got it I was able to "take a picture" through the torn leaves of the
      > shutter. Then I modified it and when I had it apart I removed the
      > torn leaves of the shutter (won't need them for 5 min. astro
      > exposures - right??). Now when I turn it on it keeps firing the
      > shutter mechanism about ten or so times, and does not record a
      > picture (though it sees the CF card and can display images already on
      > the card). Is there an easy fix (like gluing the shutter mechanism
      > closed - or open - which would perhaps simulate the situation when I
      > received the camera?) I have another spare camera, and in worst case
      > could remove the shutter mechanism from it - but I would like to
      > avoid this if I could. At this point I have not chnaged the
      > firmware - but will certainly do if it will help!! Any help will be
      > greatly appreciated!! Jerry

    • starz00700
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2007
        --- In canondigicamhacking@yahoogroups.com, "ccs_hello"
        <ccshello@...> wrote:
        >CCS_hello, Thanks for the quick response. Yes, for non-astro photos
        use of the mechanical shutter is required. However, I intend on only
        using itfor astronomy and exposures will be in the 2-5 minute range.
        The problem I am facing is that after the modification (IR filter
        removal, and removal of the damaged shutter blades) it keeps on going
        through some "start-up" cycle. This cycle activates the mirror
        mechanism (non-existant here) and the shutter (some non-damaged
        blades were not removed and now the shutter can move).
        Prior to removal of the damaged blades (preventing the shutter
        from moving) it was able to record light through the damaged leaves.
        Now it "refuses" to record. Everytime I try to take a picture, or
        even change a setting, it goes through the "start-up" cycle were the
        mirror and shutter are activated about ten or so times, then
        everything stops (but I still have power - just no picture). From
        what I can tell the mirror and shutter are activated together, and
        somehow the camera senses that something is missing and will not
        record light. Perhaps this sheds a little more light (pun intended)
        on my problem. Thanks again! Jerry (p.s. I do have link to where
        someone used the camera independent of a shutter, but the shutter and
        mirror mechanism were intact, just not used - CMOS was removed to a
        seperate chamber and connected to the body via ribbon cables, the
        camera "never knew" it had been moved!)

        > Jerry,
        >
        > 300D is 100% controlled by mechanical shutter.
        > Its CMOS sensor has no electronic shutter.
        >
        > ccs_hello
        >
        > --- In canondigicamhacking@yahoogroups.com, "starz00700" <kkinzel@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > I modified a 300d which I purchased on
        > > e-bay by removing IR filter. Shutter was broken and no mirror.
        When I
        > > got it I was able to "take a picture" through the torn leaves of
        the
        > > shutter. Then I modified it and when I had it apart I removed the
        > > torn leaves of the shutter (won't need them for 5 min. astro
        > > exposures - right??). Now when I turn it on it keeps firing the
        > > shutter mechanism about ten or so times, and does not record a
        > > picture (though it sees the CF card and can display images
        already on
        > > the card). Is there an easy fix (like gluing the shutter
        mechanism
        > > closed - or open - which would perhaps simulate the situation
        when I
        > > received the camera?) I have another spare camera, and in worst
        case
        > > could remove the shutter mechanism from it - but I would like to
        > > avoid this if I could. At this point I have not chnaged the
        > > firmware - but will certainly do if it will help!! Any help will
        be
        > > greatly appreciated!! Jerry

      • ccs_hello
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2007
          Jerry,

          Don't know what you've done before/after, especially on the flip-
          mirror.
          It seems 300D now detects one critical element of the shooting
          sequence is missing. E.g., may be a switch detecting the mirror has
          flipped up is not tripped. E.g., the exposure metering device near
          PentaMirror is seeing the light during exposure time?