Double expose a digital image

  • bretthillyard
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 9, 2006
      Is there any way posible to double expose an image with my Canon 5d, other than
      photoshop?
    • Keith Dixon
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 10, 2006
        I asked canon this, by email, and got no reply

      • Romuald RICHARD
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 10, 2006
          --- In canondigicamhacking@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Dixon"
          <boojiboy16@...> wrote:

          > I asked canon this, by email, and got no reply

          Technicaly, if this feature is in a digital camera it will do the same
          thing than fusioning two images in photoshop!
          I am not sure that a camera can do this easily, when you are taking a
          picture, it's automatically worked by the processor (Digic...) and
          written to the memory card....

          My 2 cents.
        • David Hearn
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 10, 2006
            Romuald RICHARD wrote:
            > --- In canondigicamhacking@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Dixon"
            > <boojiboy16@...> wrote:
            >
            >> I asked canon this, by email, and got no reply

            > Technicaly, if this feature is in a digital camera it will do the same
            > thing than fusioning two images in photoshop!
            > I am not sure that a camera can do this easily, when you are taking a
            > picture, it's automatically worked by the processor (Digic...) and
            > written to the memory card....

            Certainly the Nikon D2x and the new D80 support doing this in camera.
            300D cannot do it, no idea about the other Canon models.

          • edd1000000
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 10, 2006
              --- In canondigicamhacking@yahoogroups.com, David Hearn <dave@...>
              wrote:

              > Romuald RICHARD wrote:
              > > --- In canondigicamhacking@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Dixon"
              > > <boojiboy16@> wrote:
              > >
              > >> I asked canon this, by email, and got no reply

              > > Technicaly, if this feature is in a digital camera it will do the
              same
              > > thing than fusioning two images in photoshop!
              > > I am not sure that a camera can do this easily, when you are
              taking a
              > > picture, it's automatically worked by the processor (Digic...)
              and
              > > written to the memory card....
              > >
              > Certainly the Nikon D2x and the new D80 support doing this in
              camera.
              > 300D cannot do it, no idea about the other Canon models.

              erm why would you want to do this in camera?

              you home pc is always going to process the iamges better than your
              camera can.
            • ric_ce_br
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 10, 2006
                --- In canondigicamhacking@yahoogroups.com, "bretthillyard"
                <bretthillyard@...> wrote:

                > Is there any way posible to double expose an image with my Canon 5d,
                other than
                > photoshop?

                You can use Gimp! X-D

                But seriously, with almost any digital camera, a simple way to do
                double exposure is to use long exposure with flash (or any other
                external light source). For example, you can set the exposure for 10s
                in a dark, closed room, put the camera on a tripod, then light the
                flash when you want an exposure.

                I'm not sure if this would help you in any way, as you were not
                specific about what is your intention...
              • Jim Thode
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 10, 2006
                  You can always use the old black felt hat trick. Cover the lens, open the shutter and remove the hat for as many "exposures" that you want.
                  You can also use a the multiple flash feature on many flashes.
                  Jim

                  Posted by: "bretthillyard" bretthillyard@... bretthillyard
                  Wed Aug 9, 2006 3:35 pm (PST)

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 11, 2006
                    These methods aren't suitable for uncontrolled conditions (eg.
                    outside). Doing a 30 second exposure using a flash to light the subject
                    whilst outside isn't going to work. Same with using something to cover
                    the lens. Exposure times will certainly be less than 1/4 a second which
                    is very difficult to time correctly. Having the ability to set the
                    camera to do it automatically (or even just under expose manually) is
                    useful - although completely reproducible with Photoshop etc.

                    Jim Thode wrote:
                    > You can always use the old black felt hat trick. Cover the lens, open the shutter and remove the hat for as many "exposures" that you want.
                    > You can also use a the multiple flash feature on many flashes.
                    > Jim
                    >

                    > Posted by: "bretthillyard" bretthillyard@... bretthillyard
                    > Wed Aug 9, 2006 3:35 pm (PST)
                    > Is there any way posible to double expose an image with my Canon 5d, other than
                    > photoshop?

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Jan
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 11, 2006
                      A true double exposure can be had with a fuji 602z.
                      eg:
                      http://www.fujimugs.com/challenge/show_entry.php?entry=765&challenge=10&sortby=chlg&srch=&cam=#entry
                      Thaken in available light of late afternoon sun on a black briefcase.
                      Multiple exposure with only minimum Post processing.

                      My canon 300D does not have that feature.

                      Jan.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 11, 2006
                        If it's not in the manual it probably is not a feature.

                        Jan.
                      • B. Morkunas
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 12, 2006
                          --- In canondigicamhacking@yahoogroups.com, "Jan" <jan.jedryka@...>
                          wrote:

                          > If it's not in the manual it probably is not a feature.
                          >
                          > Jan.

                          No, there's no such picture in ANY dslr, and in most of slr-likes. I
                          just can't imagine, why would want camera to make it, if you can do
                          it via PP? It's understandible, when we talk abou film cameras, but
                          why, in hell, for digitals?
                        • Jan
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 13, 2006
                            > If it's not in the manual it probably is not a feature.
                            >
                            > Jan.

                            No, there's no such picture in ANY dslr, and in most of slr-likes.

                            You mean feature don't you?

                            just can't imagine, why would want camera to make it, if you can do
                            it via PP?

                            More fun?

                            It's understandible, when we talk abou film cameras, but
                            why, in hell, for digitals?

                            Double exposure is not a feature that you use regularly.
                          • Keith Dixon
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 13, 2006
                              Some people don't want to use photoshop. I'd like the option of doing in camera for speed.

                            • David Hearn
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 13, 2006
                                B. Morkunas wrote:
                                > --- In canondigicamhacking@yahoogroups.com, "Jan" <jan.jedryka@...>
                                > wrote:
                                >
                                >> If it's not in the manual it probably is not a feature.
                                >>
                                >> Jan.
                                >>

                                > No, there's no such picture in ANY dslr, and in most of slr-likes. I
                                > just can't imagine, why would want camera to make it, if you can do
                                > it via PP? It's understandible, when we talk abou film cameras, but
                                > why, in hell, for digitals?

                                That's not quite true - there's at least 2 digital SLRs out there with
                                this feature. It's a definitely a feature of the Nikon D2X and D80.

                                http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/NikonD2X_intro.shtml

                                "*Creative in-camera effects: Multiple Exposure*
                                The new Multiple Exposure function on the Nikon D2X creates a single
                                image from up to 10 exposures. Exposure for each image can be adjusted
                                with the auto gain control feature to prevent over-exposure."

                                http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond80/page9.asp

                                "Multiple exposure: Create a new image from between two and ten exposures".

                                To put it simply, not everyone wants to post process, even some who buy
                                digital SLRs.

                              • Tony
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 13, 2006

                                  > > Certainly the Nikon D2x and the new D80 support doing this in
                                  > camera.
                                  > > 300D cannot do it, no idea about the other Canon models.

                                  > erm why would you want to do this in camera?
                                  >
                                  > you home pc is always going to process the iamges better than your
                                  > camera can.

                                  OK the nikon D200 does this, and why do you ask ? very simply i have a
                                  copyright image that I make the camera place on each image i shoot on
                                  the spot - in camera so that when my editor takes my images off me,
                                  they are already given to him with my copyright watermark on it. he
                                  he.. you can do it two ways too, clik clik on two different images to
                                  combine them, or keep a reference file on your card and combine it with
                                  any other shot in camera...

                                  no muckin about in ps or anything.
                                • Tony
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 13, 2006