30D Firmware on 20D

  • rkgupta_blr
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2006
      I recently heard that Canon launched EOS 30D.

      Just out of curiosity, I wanted to know whether the firmware of 30D can
      be applied to 20D.

      The reason why I asking is Spot Metering, ISO Display and ISO
      increments in 1/3 stops.

      Any help will be highly appreciated.

      Regards

      Rakesh
    • Michael Tan
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2006
        There is no 30D firmware available for download that would be available for analysis at this time.  Plus I don't know what the status is on the 20D firmware either.

        Mike

        On 3/1/06, rkgupta_blr <rakesh@...> wrote:
        I recently heard that Canon launched EOS 30D.

        Just out of curiosity, I wanted to know whether the firmware of 30D can
        be applied to 20D.

        The reason why I asking is Spot Metering, ISO Display and ISO
        increments in 1/3 stops.

        Any help will be highly appreciated.

        Regards

        Rakesh

        Offshore software development Development outsourcing software Custom software application development
        Embedded software development Custom software development services Software development company

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • ilker Aktuna
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 2, 2006
          I know spot metering and iso increments but what is ISO display ?
          Btw, it's too early for an hack from 30D as it is not released yet. Besides
          there is no fw update for 30D :)

          Regards,
          ilker

        • Michael Tan
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2, 2006
            Displaying the ISO setting in the viewfinder.

            On 3/2/06, ilker Aktuna <ilkera@...> wrote:
            I know spot metering and iso increments but what is ISO display ?
            Btw, it's too early for an hack from 30D as it is not released yet. Besides
            there is no fw update for 30D :)

            Regards,
            ilker

          • Dor Valentin NISTEA
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 2, 2006
              I think it refers at viewing the ISO setting in the viewfinder... it is
              something missing at 20d and came with 30d

              Dor Valentin NISTEA
              cell.: +39 334 87 38 387
              AIM I.D.: nisteador
              Yahoo Msgr. I.D.: nisteador
              Skype I.D.: nisteador
              e-mail: dor@...
              alternate e-mail: nisteador@...

              I know spot metering and iso increments but what is ISO display ?
              Btw, it's too early for an hack from 30D as it is not released yet. Besides
              there is no fw update for 30D :)

              Regards,
              ilker

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Mred32
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 2, 2006
                The 30D is currently available in stores in Australia, although that won't help with the firmware at this stage.
                In time no doubt, a firmware update will be released.

                Mred32

                On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 20:24:33 +0100, Dor Valentin NISTEA wrote:
                > I think it refers at viewing the ISO setting in the viewfinder...
                > it is
                > something missing at 20d and came with 30d
                >
                > Dor Valentin NISTEA
                > cell.: +39 334 87 38 387
                > AIM I.D.: nisteador
                > Yahoo Msgr. I.D.: nisteador
                > Skype I.D.: nisteador
                > e-mail: dor@...
                > alternate e-mail: nisteador@...

              • Moz
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 2, 2006
                  Mred32 said:
                  > The 30D is currently available in stores in Australia,

                  Which ones? All I've seen is pre-order ads but I'd love to get the
                  camera ASAP.

                  Moz
                • Hypersonic
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 2, 2006
                    I also saw one in a camera store in Australia earlier this week, I went
                    in looking for something else and was very surprised to find one sitting
                    there in a display case... I live in one of the smaller capital cities
                    so I'm guessing it's available elsewhere if I found it here.

                    I just had a look at some online stores in Australia and one says
                    "Usually ships in 1-2 days", the other says not in stock yet (the one
                    claiming it has it might be lying though)

                    It sounds pretty much like my 20D except with all the fixes I want to
                    the firmware! Canon could easily release an upgrade to the 20D to fix
                    these things (apart from the iso display if they changed hardware to
                    display it), like spot.. but don't.. very frustrating..

                    Email me privately if you want the details of the store I saw one in.
                    They aren't the cheapest store though, I'd wait a little longer..

                    David

                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 2, 2006
                      Hypersonic said:
                      > I just had a look at some online stores in Australia and one says
                      > "Usually ships in 1-2 days", the other says not in stock yet (the one
                      > claiming it has it might be lying though)

                      Sheesh - you're right:
                      http://www.ccccamerahouse.com.au/store/product.asp?idProduct=1057

                      Moz
                    • Moz
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 2, 2006
                        Moz said:
                        > http://www.ccccamerahouse.com.au/store/product.asp?idProduct=1057

                        Just bought one... waiting for the battery to charge. Yahoo!

                        Of course, we need a firmware update for the hackers to get to work
                        on, but if Canon's record is anything to go by that should only take a
                        month or so.

                        Moz
                      • Michael Tan

                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 2, 2006
                            Michael Tan said:
                            > Yeah I didn't find any banding in any of the sample 30D photos! :) So start
                            > finding faults in that 30D :)

                            You mean other than the battery taking forever to charge?

                            Sorry, first reports are that it's an excellent toy. As a step up from
                            the 300D it's quite a jump, but from a 20D I'm not sure I'd bother. AF
                            is snappy even with the kit lens, 5fps and a 2.5" display make a big
                            difference, a quick look at the 1600ISO jpeg makes me happy, its
                            noticeably cleaner than the 300D ones. Never used a 20D but I'm going
                            to find one and compare the shutter sounds, because it's pretty loud
                            but it sounds a little duller than the 20D as I recall it (which is
                            good). That and (closer to) spot metering are the only real features
                            for me over the 20D.

                            Currently impatient since I lent my 300D and all my lenses to a friend
                            who has not yet returned them (it's been, oh, *hours* since I asked
                            for it back) so I only have the old kit lens and the new battery. I've
                            also ordered a faster CF card and PHD but those'll take a few days to
                            get here, in the mean time it still take a very long time to fill the
                            buffer with large jpegs even with an 80x CF card.

                            Moz