frame buffer in 300d

  • mazter76
    Message 1 of 8 , May 4, 2004
      hi all,

      is anyone know for sure that 300d have less buffer memory than the
      10d? or is it only a firmware restriction?

      yesterday i browse through 300d and 10d firmware files, and found 2
      files. in the 300d firmware there is a CrwNum4.img, while in the 10d
      firmware there is a CrwNum9.img. in these resources there is '00 04'
      and '00 09' corresponding. as we all know, the 10d capable of take 9
      images in burst shoot mode while the 300d limited to only 4 images.

      what do you think? if you change these resources... can it work?

      rgrds,
      maz
    • Ryan Wilkins
      Message 2 of 8 , May 4, 2004
        An observation, for what it's worth, is how many pictures I can take
        before the 300d starts writing to the CF card. My camera will do 10
        frames before starting to write, but after the fourth continuous frame it
        delays for a second or so. I'm guessing that this delay is programmed
        into the firmware to derate the camera.

        Someone changed the 00 04 to a 00 09 in the past and caused the camera to
        lock up. Not sure what that is all about. It's in the archives.

        Ryan Wilkins

        On Tue, 4 May 2004, mazter76 wrote:

        > hi all,
        >
        > is anyone know for sure that 300d have less buffer memory than the
        > 10d? or is it only a firmware restriction?
        >
        > yesterday i browse through 300d and 10d firmware files, and found 2
        > files. in the 300d firmware there is a CrwNum4.img, while in the 10d
        > firmware there is a CrwNum9.img. in these resources there is '00 04'
        > and '00 09' corresponding. as we all know, the 10d capable of take 9
        > images in burst shoot mode while the 300d limited to only 4 images.
        >
        > what do you think? if you change these resources... can it work?
        >
        > rgrds,
        > maz
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Bart van Bragt
        Message 3 of 8 , May 4, 2004
          Ryan Wilkins wrote:
          > An observation, for what it's worth, is how many pictures I can take
          > before the 300d starts writing to the CF card. My camera will do 10
          > frames before starting to write, but after the fourth continuous frame it
          > delays for a second or so. I'm guessing that this delay is programmed
          > into the firmware to derate the camera.
          >
          > Someone changed the 00 04 to a 00 09 in the past and caused the camera to
          > lock up. Not sure what that is all about. It's in the archives.

          IMO there is an _extremely_ small chance that they 300D is capable of
          doing more than 4 frames. Why would Canon put more (fairly expensive)
          memory in the device than necessary? They disabled FEC because that's
          just software, they disabled some custom functions because that's just
          software, they disabled AI drive because that's just software (except
          for a button). The amount of frames that the camera can take is tied to
          the amound of physical memory in the camera. Canon created a new PCB and
          new chips for the 300D so it would be fairly silly if they would keep
          the amount of memory that the 10D has. So I'll be pretty surprised if
          the 300D is able to do more than 4 pictures :)

          BTW the camera takes 4 pictures in raw and buts that in the buffer, it
          immediately begins converting those RAW images to JPEG if you're going
          to save them as JPEG which will free space in the buffer, because of
          that you're able to take more than 4 pictures before it starts writing
          to CF. Read the dpreview.com article about the 300D for a more detailed
          explanation.

          Bart
        • emklap0000
          Message 4 of 8 , May 5, 2004
            I did tried it. Changin the contens from CrwNum4.img form 0004 to
            0009 changes the buffer indicator in the viewfinder from 4 to 9 but
            you still can not take more than 4 pictures in one burst.

            if you change the buffer size to the value used in the 10D the camera
            hangs.

            My conclusion is that the buffer size of the 300d is smaller. maybe
            you could add (solder) more memory and adapt the software to increase
            the buffer. This would be a major project with a large failure chance.

            --- In canondigicamhacking@yahoogroups.com, Bart van Bragt

          • Ryan Wilkins
            Message 5 of 8 , May 5, 2004
              That could very well be the case. I'm sure my wife would not be too happy
              about me hacking up our camera that we just bought 6 months ago, so I'm
              not going to find out. :)

              On Wed, 5 May 2004, emklap0000 wrote:

              > My conclusion is that the buffer size of the 300d is smaller. maybe
              > you could add (solder) more memory and adapt the software to increase
              > the buffer. This would be a major project with a large failure chance.
            • Cagin Basaran
              Message 6 of 8 , May 5, 2004
                OOOOPS I do not have a soldering iron...

                :-)

                --- Ryan Wilkins <ryan@...> wrote:
                > That could very well be the case. I'm sure my wife
                > would not be too happy
                > about me hacking up our camera that we just bought 6
                > months ago, so I'm
                > not going to find out. :)
                >

                > On Wed, 5 May 2004, emklap0000 wrote:
                >
                > > My conclusion is that the buffer size of the 300d
                > is smaller. maybe
                > > you could add (solder) more memory and adapt the
                > software to increase
                > > the buffer. This would be a major project with a
                > large failure chance.

              • Ryan Wilkins
                Message 7 of 8 , May 6, 2004
                  In my case, I have a soldering iron.. Come to think of it, six or seven.

                  On Wed, 5 May 2004, Cagin Basaran wrote:

                  > OOOOPS I do not have a soldering iron...
                  >
                  > :-)
                • over23dbm
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 3, 2004
                    I'm pretty sure you'd need a hot air tool instead of a soldering
                    iron. The flash is probably a BGA (balls of solder UNDER the chip not
                    on the sides).

                    --- In canondigicamhacking@yahoogroups.com, Ryan Wilkins <ryan@d...>