intrpt.vct

  • ladretto
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 1, 2004
      Hello!
      i was wondering about how to use this vector.

      i thought a bit about this, but i'm not sure about the format.
      is it an array of 256 int?
      if so, has the 300d up to 256 different interrupts?
      and does intrpt.vct cointain the address of the specific handler for
      each interrupt?

      if this is correct, all we need is to discover which button enables
      which interrupt, right?

      I saw also a little proggy for 300d (hello world) that can be loaded
      on the camera.
      Being able to load it, can i discover which interrupts are attached to
      the buttons, by writing a new program in which interrupt handlers
      simply print the number of the interrupt on the camera screen?

      thank you!
      Paolo
    • Steve Yeager
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 1, 2004

        Paolo,

        Where did you see Hello World program for 300d?  I’d like to look at it too!!!  J

        About interrupts…  They are just internal mechanism to invoke program functions by a number instead of calling them knowing the exact address.  Initial intended use is to process conditions triggered by external events.  But most common use is to provide simple interface to OS/BIOS or even to application program functions that are build and loaded independently of other parts of the software.  It’s more a matter of convenience.  Their use is application architecture depended and it does not map into physical buttons.

        Interrupt table is an array of 256 4 byte vectors (addresses of subroutines) for 256 interrupts numbered from 0 to 255, or 0 to FF in hexadecimal notation.  This table occupies first 1024 locations starting from address 0 in processor memory map.  First 2 bytes of each vector represent offset value of the long address, and next 2 bytes – segment.  Least significant byte of each pair is located at lower address (so called Little Endian architecture).

         --

        SY

        Canon EOS 300D Digital Rebel firmware hacking forum

        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 1, 2004
          --- In canondigicamhacking@yahoogroups.com, Steve Yeager
          <syeager9@o...> wrote:
          > Paolo,
          >

          > Where did you see Hello World program for 300d? I'd like to look at it
          > too!!! :-)
          >

          > About interrupts. They are just internal mechanism to invoke program
          > functions by a number instead of calling them knowing the exact address.
          > Initial intended use is to process conditions triggered by external
          events.
          > But most common use is to provide simple interface to OS/BIOS or even to
          > application program functions that are build and loaded independently of
          > other parts of the software. It's more a matter of convenience.
          Their use
          > is application architecture depended and it does not map into physical
          > buttons.
          >

          > Interrupt table is an array of 256 4 byte vectors (addresses of
          subroutines)
          > for 256 interrupts numbered from 0 to 255, or 0 to FF in hexadecimal
          > notation. This table occupies first 1024 locations starting from
          address 0
          > in processor memory map. First 2 bytes of each vector represent offset
          > value of the long address, and next 2 bytes - segment. Least
          significant
          > byte of each pair is located at lower address (so called Little Endian
          > architecture).
          >

          > --
          >
          > SY

          Thank you SY!

          Hello World is in Files section. i guess it is for 300d. i read
          something about it a lot of posts ago :)

          for the interrupt vector: do you find my idea reasonable?
          my goal would be discover the address of the "Shutter button" handler,
          and hack it to enable AF acknowledgment without EF lens mounted on the
          camera.

          to do this i have to know where this routine is, and my idea was to
          write my own "CAMERA.EXE", that just prints the interrupt number when
          the interrupt is triggered by pressing something.

          regards!
          Paolo
        • HaJo Schatz
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 1, 2004
            On Tue, November 2, 2004 1:44, ladretto said:

            > to do this i have to know where this routine is, and my idea was to
            > write my own "CAMERA.EXE", that just prints the interrupt number when
            > the interrupt is triggered by pressing something.

            It's been long since I touched that, but if I remember correctly, this
            architecture knows 2 kinds of interrupts: The real hardware interrupts as
            you know them from other processors as well as software interrupts, which
            are really nothing else but jump tables, Ie a defined interface to certain
            modules.

            I guess that while you might be able to extract the interrupt generated by
            keypresses (I guess that all keypresses yield a single interrupt, and the
            ISR determines the button being pressed), it might not directly lead to
            your shutter routine as this could well be on process level -- being
            triggered from the ISR by some sort of messaging system. Lots to
            reverse-engineer ;-)

            Further, I believe it's not even safe to assume which processor is
            controlling the shutter. This might well be the RISC, which would agree
            with a previous statement of Wasia saying that the AF mode was
            "hard-coded" in the RISC and could not be changed in CAMERA.EXE.

            Anyhow, good luck,
            HaJo

            --
            HaJo Schatz <hajo@...>
            http://www.HaJo.Net

            PGP-Key: http://www.hajo.net/hajonet/keys/pgpkey_hajo.txt
          • ladretto
            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 2, 2004
              --- In canondigicamhacking@yahoogroups.com, "HaJo Schatz" <hajo@h...>
              wrote:
              > Further, I believe it's not even safe to assume which processor is
              > controlling the shutter. This might well be the RISC, which would agree
              > with a previous statement of Wasia saying that the AF mode was
              > "hard-coded" in the RISC and could not be changed in CAMERA.EXE.
              >
              > Anyhow, good luck,
              > HaJo
              >
              > --
              > HaJo Schatz <hajo@h...>
              > http://www.HaJo.Net
              >
              > PGP-Key: http://www.hajo.net/hajonet/keys/pgpkey_hajo.txt

              So you think that the interrupt from the shutter button does not call
              a real routine, but rather pass the whole task to the toshiba, that
              have the EF-lens-check routine coded internally?
            • HaJo Schatz
              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 2, 2004
                On Tue, November 2, 2004 16:15, ladretto said:

                > --- In canondigicamhacking@yahoogroups.com, "HaJo Schatz" <hajo@h...>
                > wrote:
                >> Further, I believe it's not even safe to assume which processor is
                >> controlling the shutter. This might well be the RISC, which would agree
                >> with a previous statement of Wasia saying that the AF mode was
                >> "hard-coded" in the RISC and could not be changed in CAMERA.EXE.

                > So you think that the interrupt from the shutter button does not call
                > a real routine, but rather pass the whole task to the toshiba, that
                > have the EF-lens-check routine coded internally?

                That's what I'd suspect, but I might be wrong here. Proove can only come
                by reverse-engineering it (something I'm far too lazy to do :-P ).

                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 2, 2004
                  wrote:
                  > That's what I'd suspect, but I might be wrong here. Proove can only come
                  > by reverse-engineering it (something I'm far too lazy to do :-P ).

                  :-))

                  Ok, so the first step will be discovering the interrupt attached to
                  the shutter button. as soon as i understand in depth how to print on
                  the camera screen and how the camera works, i will write it.

                  then, got the address of the main routine, we will have to check if it
                  cointains calls to something in the thoshiba or not.

                  Regards!
                  Paolo
                • gambistics
                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 2, 2004
                    --- In canondigicamhacking@yahoogroups.com, "ladretto"
                    <ladretto@y...>
                    wrote:

                    > --- In canondigicamhacking@yahoogroups.com, "HaJo Schatz" <hajo@h...
                    >
                    > wrote:
                    > > That's what I'd suspect, but I might be wrong here. Proove can
                    only come
                    > > by reverse-engineering it (something I'm far too lazy to do :-P ).

                    Hi,

                    we've done that already (At least partly). Assuming that 300d is
                    using
                    similar firmware look at the progress at the Powershot programming
                    research group.
                    Key handling works roughly like this:
                    1.) A key press triggers an interrupt
                    2.) Key handling interrupt routine loads key state by inputting it
                    from a
                    specific port and saves it to a location in RAM
                    3.) Key interrupt routine finishes
                    4.) A program or routine wants to get the last key state changes. It
                    calls a firmware routine with a callback function as parameter
                    5.) the callback function is called once for every key state CHANGE.
                    6.) the callback function can handle key state changes (as well as
                    global mode changes)

                    for more details

                    Greetings
                    Johannes
                  • Michael Tan
                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 2, 2004
                      No knowledge of RISC programming but having a few emails with Wasia
                      months ago, the autofucs is entirely handled by the Toshiba. It
                      appears that the NEC runs the "main program" which handles the
                      interface with the operator (buttons and such) while the Toshiba
                      handles more of the "behind the scene" operations such as autofocus
                      and exposure setting. Of course, if we could only get the firmware
                      off the Toshiba and then examine it carefully would we be able to
                      reach a definitive conclusion.

                      Though I'm also pretty sure Wasia was the king of reverse-engineering
                      the firmware for the NEC and he would have found something, and the
                      fact that two individuals were working seperately on getting the
                      AI-servo to work ran into the same problem.

                      Mike

                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 2, 2004
                        --- In canondigicamhacking@yahoogroups.com, Michael Tan
                        <michael.tan@g...> wrote:
                        > No knowledge of RISC programming but having a few emails with Wasia
                        > months ago, the autofucs is entirely handled by the Toshiba. It
                        > appears that the NEC runs the "main program" which handles the
                        > interface with the operator (buttons and such) while the Toshiba
                        > handles more of the "behind the scene" operations such as autofocus
                        > and exposure setting. Of course, if we could only get the firmware
                        > off the Toshiba and then examine it carefully would we be able to
                        > reach a definitive conclusion.
                        >
                        > Though I'm also pretty sure Wasia was the king of reverse-engineering
                        > the firmware for the NEC and he would have found something, and the
                        > fact that two individuals were working seperately on getting the
                        > AI-servo to work ran into the same problem.
                        >
                        > Mike

                        but if i understand what you said, we can't retrieve toshiba
                        firmware, unlike CAMERA.EXE, and no one knows what that chip cointains.

                        so how can we hack it?
                        and then, how can we upload the hacked toshiba firmware to the chip?

                        i'm starting to think that we need to modify the lens adapters, to add
                        the chip from an EF-lens, becouse the toshiba chip is unviolable :(

                        Paolo
                      • Michael Tan
                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 2, 2004
                          To modify the firmware on the Toshiba would require something like
                          this in the simplest terms:

                          - extract the firmware from the Toshiba through the diagnostic port
                          from within the battery compartment (Wasia was able to do this I think
                          but also he wrecked his AF so this is a good indication that the
                          Toshiba does handle this)
                          - decypher
                          - determine what code needs to be modified within the Toshiba
                          processor and put this in the NEC firmware

                          The firmware for the NEC processor has routines already on applying
                          small microcode patches on the Toshiba processor, and there is a limit
                          on how big the patches can be. Whether Wasia was able to successfully
                          do this or not is unknown.

                          Mike

                          On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 17:34:53 -0000, ladretto <ladretto@...> wrote:

                          > but if i understand what you said, we can't retrieve toshiba
                          > firmware, unlike CAMERA.EXE, and no one knows what that chip cointains.
                          >
                          > so how can we hack it?
                          > and then, how can we upload the hacked toshiba firmware to the chip?
                          >
                          > i'm starting to think that we need to modify the lens adapters, to add
                          > the chip from an EF-lens, becouse the toshiba chip is unviolable :(
                          >
                          > Paolo
                          >

                          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                          >

                          > Get unlimited calls to
                          >
                          > U.S./Canada

                        • evansmd1
                          Message 12 of 25 , Nov 3, 2004
                            Sorry if this idea has been suggested before, I was wondering if
                            anyone has approached the possibility of adding features to the
                            sports mode instead working how to enable ai servo on the other
                            modes. For example it seems like a huge improvement would be having
                            higher ISO options while in sports mode. Is it known how "locked
                            down" the sports mode is?

                            This wouldn't address all the needs but might open a different path
                            since it might avoid the need to deal with the Toshiba.

                            Message 13 of 25 , Nov 3, 2004
                              It's all locked down or preprogrammed in the firmware in the Toshiba processor.

                              Mike

                              On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 16:30:33 -0000, evansmd1 <evansmd1@...> wrote:

                              > Sorry if this idea has been suggested before, I was wondering if
                              > anyone has approached the possibility of adding features to the
                              > sports mode instead working how to enable ai servo on the other
                              > modes. For example it seems like a huge improvement would be having
                              > higher ISO options while in sports mode. Is it known how "locked
                              > down" the sports mode is?
                              >
                              > This wouldn't address all the needs but might open a different path
                              > since it might avoid the need to deal with the Toshiba.
                            • Indulis Bernsteins
                              Message 14 of 25 , Nov 4, 2004

                                No knowledge of RISC programming but having a few emails with Wasia
                                months ago, the autofucs is entirely handled by the Toshiba.  It
                                appears that the NEC runs the "main program" which handles the
                                interface with the operator (buttons and such) while the Toshiba
                                handles more of the "behind the scene" operations such as autofocus
                                and exposure setting.  Of course, if we could only get the firmware
                                off the Toshiba and then examine it carefully would we be able to
                                reach a definitive conclusion.

                                As the camera is quite able to ask the toshiba to go into Servo focus mode when the user requests Sports Mode, it seems a waste of time trying to decode what the chip does.  It is clear that the main processor is capable of sending a command sequence to the Toshiba chip to do its work, in Servo or One-shot mode.  As the toshiba chip has nothing to do with ISO ratings or stopping you from selecting RAW mode, maybe we could hack sports mode to simply (!?!) not "gray out" those options.  A functioning sports mode with RAW and ISO selection would be cool!

                                I really think that pursuing the Toshiba firmware is a distraction, as the main processor is definitely able to switch the Toshiba chip between servo and single-shot mode.  I think the problem is that the normal software on the main processor is not set up to interact with the TOshiba chip when it is in Servo mode, which accounts for why you need the "double press" trick.

                                One observation which I had looking through the event log, in on-shot mode compared to servo mode, was that in servo mode aappeared to get an additional "callback" when the trigger button was pressed.=

                                Indulis
                              • Michael Tan
                                Message 15 of 25 , Nov 4, 2004
                                  I'm trying to find some old email from Wasia about this and I think
                                  what you mentioned was what I also asked him and he said it was tried
                                  and nothing worked as certain things were "hardwired" if I interpreted
                                  him correctly.

                                  I looked through my old email and he was able to get the firmware from
                                  the TX1942.... if somebody wants this let me know.

                                  Mike

                                  On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 21:01:31 +0800, Indulis Bernsteins
                                  <pbabern@...> wrote:

                                  > As the camera is quite able to ask the toshiba to go into Servo focus mode
                                  > when the user requests Sports Mode, it seems a waste of time trying to
                                  > decode what the chip does. It is clear that the main processor is capable
                                  > of sending a command sequence to the Toshiba chip to do its work, in Servo
                                  > or One-shot mode. As the toshiba chip has nothing to do with ISO ratings or
                                  > stopping you from selecting RAW mode, maybe we could hack sports mode to
                                  > simply (!?!) not "gray out" those options. A functioning sports mode with
                                  > RAW and ISO selection would be cool!
                                  >
                                  > I really think that pursuing the Toshiba firmware is a distraction, as the
                                  > main processor is definitely able to switch the Toshiba chip between servo
                                  > and single-shot mode. I think the problem is that the normal software on
                                  > the main processor is not set up to interact with the TOshiba chip when it
                                  > is in Servo mode, which accounts for why you need the "double press" trick.
                                  >
                                  > One observation which I had looking through the event log, in on-shot mode
                                  > compared to servo mode, was that in servo mode aappeared to get an
                                  > additional "callback" when the trigger button was pressed.=
                                  >
                                  > Indulis
                                  >

                                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                  >

                                  > Get unlimited calls to
                                  >
                                  > U.S./Canada

                                • Michael Tan
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Nov 4, 2004
                                    To help move people over to the 300D forum it's uploaded on this forum:

                                    http://www.syeager.org/300d/forum/index.php

                                    Look for the link there :-) Better method of managing messages vs
                                    Yahoo which is horrible.

                                    Mike

                                    On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 08:12:27 -0500, Michael Tan <michael.tan@...> wrote:
                                    > I'm trying to find some old email from Wasia about this and I think
                                    > what you mentioned was what I also asked him and he said it was tried
                                    > and nothing worked as certain things were "hardwired" if I interpreted
                                    > him correctly.
                                    >
                                    > I looked through my old email and he was able to get the firmware from
                                    > the TX1942.... if somebody wants this let me know.
                                    >
                                    > Mike
                                  • Moz
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Nov 4, 2004
                                      > http://www.syeager.org/300d/forum/index.php
                                      > Look for the link there :-) Better method of managing messages vs
                                      > Yahoo which is horrible.

                                      I looked but can't see how to get it to email messages to me. How do I
                                      do that?

                                      Thanks
                                      Moz
                                    • Michael Tan
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Nov 4, 2004
                                        It's a web based forum.

                                        On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 00:55:38 +1100, Moz <list@...> wrote:
                                        > > http://www.syeager.org/300d/forum/index.php
                                        > > Look for the link there :-) Better method of managing messages vs
                                        > > Yahoo which is horrible.
                                        >
                                        > I looked but can't see how to get it to email messages to me. How do I
                                        > do that?
                                        >
                                        > Thanks
                                        > Moz
                                        >

                                        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                      • Moz
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Nov 4, 2004
                                          Michael Tan:
                                          >> > Look for the link there :-) Better method of managing messages vs
                                          >> > Yahoo which is horrible.
                                          > It's a web based forum.

                                          So how is yet another web forum that I'm supposed to check every
                                          couple of days better than email that appears in my inbox with no
                                          effort on my part? Sounds as though you want to get rid of everyone
                                          who's not actively working on the firmware, which is valid in a way,
                                          but it's not exactly something that the list administrator should do
                                          without consultation IMO. If you want an email list without ads and
                                          with an easily searchable archive, just ask. I (as well as many
                                          others) could provide that at negligible cost to ourselves (like the
                                          forum costs whoever provides that).

                                          Moz
                                        • soldeersmurfje
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Nov 4, 2004
                                            I suspect you are right.
                                            The extra event is the focus lock acknowledge from the Toshiba.
                                            This event is (by definition) absent in servo focus mode.
                                            All we need to do is disable the waiting for this event in the
                                            firmware.
                                            But this is all speculation of course.

                                            Lex

                                            --- In canondigicamhacking@yahoogroups.com, Indulis Bernsteins
                                            <pbabern@a...> wrote:
                                            > No knowledge of RISC programming but having a few emails with Wasia
                                            > months ago, the autofucs is entirely handled by the Toshiba. It
                                            > appears that the NEC runs the "main program" which handles the
                                            > interface with the operator (buttons and such) while the Toshiba
                                            > handles more of the "behind the scene" operations such as autofocus
                                            > and exposure setting. Of course, if we could only get the firmware
                                            > off the Toshiba and then examine it carefully would we be able to
                                            > reach a definitive conclusion.
                                            >
                                            > As the camera is quite able to ask the toshiba to go into Servo
                                            focus mode
                                            > when the user requests Sports Mode, it seems a waste of time trying
                                            > decode what the chip does. It is clear that the main processor is
                                            capable
                                            > of sending a command sequence to the Toshiba chip to do its work,
                                            in Servo
                                            > or One-shot mode. As the toshiba chip has nothing to do with ISO
                                            ratings
                                            > or stopping you from selecting RAW mode, maybe we could hack sports
                                            mode
                                            > to simply (!?!) not "gray out" those options. A functioning sports
                                            mode
                                            > with RAW and ISO selection would be cool!
                                            >
                                            > I really think that pursuing the Toshiba firmware is a distraction,
                                            as the
                                            > main processor is definitely able to switch the Toshiba chip
                                            between servo
                                            > and single-shot mode. I think the problem is that the normal
                                            software on
                                            > the main processor is not set up to interact with the TOshiba chip
                                            when it
                                            > is in Servo mode, which accounts for why you need the "double
                                            press"
                                            > trick.
                                            >
                                            > One observation which I had looking through the event log, in on-
                                            shot mode
                                            > compared to servo mode, was that in servo mode aappeared to get an
                                            > additional "callback" when the trigger button was pressed.=
                                            >
                                            > Indulis
                                          • Michael Tan
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Nov 4, 2004
                                              Before you accuse me of wanting to rid of everyone, I don't even have
                                              a 300D though I still want to help out in this effort. I posted files
                                              in the files section here previously and there are people that *still*
                                              do not look there or cannot pull the file down there because they do
                                              not have a Yahoo account which is required so I was helpful in
                                              emailing people the firmware or what not.

                                              I chose to put it the web forum and that's my choice and I feel I do
                                              not need to consult with people here.

                                              Sorry for the rant but if you don't like it so be it.

                                              Mike

                                              On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 01:11:57 +1100, Moz <list@...> wrote:
                                              > Michael Tan:
                                              > > It's a web based forum.
                                              >
                                              > So how is yet another web forum that I'm supposed to check every
                                              > couple of days better than email that appears in my inbox with no
                                              > effort on my part? Sounds as though you want to get rid of everyone
                                              > who's not actively working on the firmware, which is valid in a way,
                                              > but it's not exactly something that the list administrator should do
                                              > without consultation IMO. If you want an email list without ads and
                                              > with an easily searchable archive, just ask. I (as well as many
                                              > others) could provide that at negligible cost to ourselves (like the
                                              > forum costs whoever provides that).
                                              >
                                              > Moz
                                              >

                                              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                            • Monte Olsen
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Nov 4, 2004
                                                Right on, Michael.

                                                Before you accuse me of wanting to rid of everyone, I don't even have
                                                a 300D though I still want to help out in this effort. I posted files
                                                in the files section here previously and there are people that *still*
                                                do not look there or cannot pull the file down there because they do
                                                not have a Yahoo account which is required so I was helpful in
                                                emailing people the firmware or what not.

                                                I chose to put it the web forum and that's my choice and I feel I do
                                                not need to consult with people here.

                                                Sorry for the rant but if you don't like it so be it.

                                                Mike

                                                On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 01:11:57 +1100, Moz <list@...> wrote:
                                                > Michael Tan:
                                                > > It's a web based forum.
                                                >
                                                > So how is yet another web forum that I'm supposed to check every
                                                > couple of days better than email that appears in my inbox with no
                                                > effort on my part? Sounds as though you want to get rid of everyone
                                                > who's not actively working on the firmware, which is valid in a way,
                                                > but it's not exactly something that the list administrator should do
                                                > without consultation IMO. If you want an email list without ads and
                                                > with an easily searchable archive, just ask. I (as well as many
                                                > others) could provide that at negligible cost to ourselves (like the
                                                > forum costs whoever provides that).
                                                >
                                                > Moz
                                                >

                                                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                                Yahoo! Groups Links
                                              • TB-AV
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Nov 4, 2004
                                                  I agree

                                                  TB-AV
                                                  Before you accuse me of wanting to rid of everyone, I don't even have
                                                  a 300D though I still want to help out in this effort. I posted files
                                                  in the files section here previously and there are people that *still*
                                                  do not look there or cannot pull the file down there because they do
                                                  not have a Yahoo account which is required so I was helpful in
                                                  emailing people the firmware or what not.

                                                  I chose to put it the web forum and that's my choice and I feel I do
                                                  not need to consult with people here.

                                                  Sorry for the rant but if you don't like it so be it.

                                                  Mike

                                                  On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 01:11:57 +1100, Moz <list@...> wrote:
                                                  > Michael Tan:
                                                  > > It's a web based forum.
                                                  >
                                                  > So how is yet another web forum that I'm supposed to check every
                                                  > couple of days better than email that appears in my inbox with no
                                                  > effort on my part? Sounds as though you want to get rid of everyone
                                                  > who's not actively working on the firmware, which is valid in a way,
                                                  > but it's not exactly something that the list administrator should do
                                                  > without consultation IMO. If you want an email list without ads and
                                                  > with an easily searchable archive, just ask. I (as well as many
                                                  > others) could provide that at negligible cost to ourselves (like the
                                                  > forum costs whoever provides that).
                                                  >
                                                  > Moz
                                                  >

                                                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                                                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                                                • HaJo Schatz
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Nov 4, 2004
                                                    On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 22:11, Moz wrote:
                                                    > Michael Tan:
                                                    > > It's a web based forum.
                                                    >
                                                    > So how is yet another web forum that I'm supposed to check every
                                                    > couple of days better than email that appears in my inbox with no
                                                    > effort on my part? Sounds as though you want to get rid of everyone
                                                    > who's not actively working on the firmware, which is valid in a way,
                                                    > but it's not exactly something that the list administrator should do
                                                    > without consultation IMO. If you want an email list without ads and
                                                    > with an easily searchable archive, just ask. I (as well as many
                                                    > others) could provide that at negligible cost to ourselves (like the
                                                    > forum costs whoever provides that).
                                                    >
                                                    > Moz

                                                    While I do not support the tone of the mail, I do stand behind Moz's
                                                    thoughts. I myself am too lazy to bookmark (and remember the URL of) yet
                                                    another forum. I know I can subscribe mail alerts of "new forum posts"
                                                    with quite a few forums, but IMHO nothing beats my mailer's threaded
                                                    views, hand-written filtering scripts et al. I'm too lazy to receive new
                                                    posts via mail, click somewhere to have to load a web browser and then
                                                    post a reply in a forum (I read mail in a unix txt-shell quite often,
                                                    sometimes I read it on the road using a PDA). If the poor mail archives
                                                    are the main reason of switching to a forum, why not simply registering
                                                    the mailing list with say gmane.org? Excellent archives for people who
                                                    don't keep them local.

                                                    Whatever -- I have tried to get used to the forum idea and will not
                                                    change to it as I found it too inconvenient considering my habits. If
                                                    people will move over, so be it. Then I'll be left behind ;-)

                                                    PS: Quite interesting to see (if I'm allowed to generalize) that
                                                    forum-supporters top-post while mail-supporters follow the bottom-post
                                                    style ;)

                                                    --
                                                    A: Because people naturally read from top to bottom.
                                                    Q: Why would that be considered bad?

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Nov 4, 2004

                                                      You are right about the people who are WORKING on firmware.
                                                      For them this mess on Yahoo is a nightmare. I made it specifically
                                                      for that reason, so we can concentrate on actual work and not on
                                                      sorting out garbage. And it's a lot of technicalities that casual
                                                      lurkers don't care. Just read the posts there and you will
                                                      see what I am talking about. There is no intention to get rid
                                                      of anyone else. Don't worry, all the information that is really
                                                      important will be posted here and in other places. And if you are
                                                      REALLY interested about how project is going, it's not too difficult
                                                      to check. It's open for everyone and no accounts are needed. But I
                                                      am positive that few people really care as most just want to grab
                                                      something done for them by someone else and use it.
                                                      So far there are only 3 people who are actually trying to do something.
                                                      The rest are just talking.

                                                      If you have a better idea, just do it. Talk is cheap.