Possible to modify the counter?

  • t00manyusers
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1 12:57 AM
      Hey all,

      Just wondering ... is it possible to modify the counter on the 300D?
      It randomly jumped about 6,000 images (went from 2,300 to 8,800)...
      I would like to reset it back to 2,400 or so. I'm pretty sure it has
      something to do with the D.CTG file on the CF card, but don't know
      much more than that.

      Anybody ever tried it?

      Cheers,

      -t00
    • Lye Heng Foo
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1 3:36 AM
        That is because you inserted another CF which has IMG_8800.jpg in it.  300D is smart enough to increment the number from the largest number in the CF in order not to overwrite existing image file.

        To fix this, if you still hv the CF which has IMG_2300.jpg in it (i.e. you hv not taken photo with IMG_8800 onwards, remove the CF, then reset counter in the menu from Continuous to Auto-Reset.  The next image taken should be IMG_0001.jpg if the CF is fresh.  If you don't have a fresh CF, create one by using a card reader and a PC to remove all the Canon hidden files away.

        The insert the CF which currently has counter IMG_2300.jpg in it and start shooting again ... the counter will jump to to IMG_2301.jpg

        Basically, the counter will always use the larger number of either the counter in ur camera or the counter in CF to avoid overwriting any existing image files.

        Regards,
        LH Foo   (CAD Department)
        ALTERA CORP (M) SDN BHD, PENANG
        (604) 636 6247
        "With a bad attitude, you can never have a positive day.
        And with a positive attitude, you can never have a bad day."