Re: Canon Powershot G1 FW Update Failed

  • emklap0000
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2004
      format your CF and try again,
      otherwise try an other CF card,
      and if that does not work try to install the firmware via USB.

      --- In canondigicamhacking@yahoogroups.com, "bastel123"
      <Sebastian.franz@w...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > the firmware update i made with my powershot g1 was wrong. Now the
      > camera becomes not ready except the video recording mode. I can't
      > see any other menu and the camera switch off after a few seconds.
      Is
      > there a way to get the camera working?
      >
      > Sebastian
      >
      > P.S. sorry , if this is not the right forum
    • bastel123
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2004
        Thank you for your answer. If i switch the camera to the play mode i
        get only a blinking green led and a random pattern in the display.
        I think the camera firmware is corrupt. The comunication between the
        camera and the pc via usb does not work.
        Is there a emergency recovery possible or is the camera really dead?

        Sebastian

        --- In canondigicamhacking@yahoogroups.com, "emklap0000"
        <emklap@z...> wrote:
        > format your CF and try again,
        > otherwise try an other CF card,
        > and if that does not work try to install the firmware via USB.
        >

        > --- In canondigicamhacking@yahoogroups.com, "bastel123"
        > <Sebastian.franz@w...> wrote:
        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > the firmware update i made with my powershot g1 was wrong. Now
        the
        > > camera becomes not ready except the video recording mode. I
        can't
        > > see any other menu and the camera switch off after a few
        seconds.
        > Is
        > > there a way to get the camera working?
        > >
        > > Sebastian
        > >
        > > P.S. sorry , if this is not the right forum
      • HaJo Schatz
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2004
          Download the _correct_ firmware again from the Canon web site and flash
          it into your cam. Tell us once you have done this whether it worked or
          not.

          HaJo

          --
          HaJo Schatz <hajo@...>
          http://www.HaJo.Net

          PGP-Key: http://www.hajo.net/hajonet/keys/pgpkey_hajo.txt
        • bastel123
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2004
            That's what i tried. I switch the camera to replay mode but the
            display is black with a random pattern on it. The green led is
            blinking and it seems the camera is resetting itself. In the little
            lcd-display ontop the camera i see "Pb" or "P6".

            Sebastian

            P.S. sorry for my bad english :)

            --- In canondigicamhacking@yahoogroups.com, HaJo Schatz <hajo@h...>

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1, 2004
              You're still not saying whether you really flashed the firmware again --
              you just mention you tried. Assuming you really flashed again:

              When you re-flashed the firmware again, did it say that the update was
              successful?
              - If yes, I'd recommend to remove the batteries (the LiIon _and_ the
              small button-cell) for at least 24hrs and try again.
              - If no, you have a problem flashing it. Follow the advise given
              earlier, trying a newly formatted CF, then a different CF, then via USB
              instead of the CF

              If, however, you did not reflash the firmware -- why?

              - You can't, because the S/W won't let you? Try via USB! Also not
              possible? Then probably the boot-block in your Flash is screwed and only
              a soldering iron or Canon can help

              - You didn't? Just do it!

              Please, be more specific and it'll be easier for us to help you.

              HaJo

              PS: Where did you get the F/W update for your G1 from, can you please
              send me a link to the page?

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 1, 2004
                Hi again,

                the FW-Link is:

                http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/dc/g1_1003-e.exe

                If i connect the camera with usb it does not recognized by the pc.
                So far i know is the only way to flash the camera the following:

                1. Switch Camera to replay mode
                2. go into menu
                3. select the "Flash..." menu item and flash the new FW

                But since i don't see any menu i can't reflash the camera this way.

                I hoped there is a trick to do this in other way.

                Sebastian

                P.S. HaJo if you a german could we speak german ?

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 3, 2004
                  Sebastian,

                  On Sat, 2004-10-02 at 04:07, bastel123 wrote:
                  > Hi again,
                  >
                  > the FW-Link is:
                  >
                  > http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/dc/g1_1003-e.exe
                  >
                  > If i connect the camera with usb it does not recognized by the pc.
                  > So far i know is the only way to flash the camera the following:
                  >
                  > 1. Switch Camera to replay mode
                  > 2. go into menu
                  > 3. select the "Flash..." menu item and flash the new FW

                  Yes, I've been at the BeBit page now. Appears that this is really the
                  only way to flash a new F/W.

                  > I hoped there is a trick to do this in other way.

                  Most likely not. I'd recommend to take out all batteries from the cam
                  and let it rest for a day or more. If that doesn't bring your menu back,
                  then I fear the only way is to go to Canon and ask them to fix the cam
                  for you.

                  > P.S. HaJo if you a german could we speak german ?
                  Yes I'm German. But at least on the group I'd like to keep it in English
                  -- there are lots others here who don't understand German that well ;)
                  But of course PM is fine in German...