A Layman (Programmer) opinion

  • pepeaty
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2004
      Disclaimer: I don't have a Drebel. I fully appreciate your desire for
      a more open Drebel and wish you the best of luck.

      However, lets assume the best of possible worlds: Canon programmers
      did a real sloppy job and only removed the user interface calls - you
      get over the (large) technical hurdles, satisfy the legal aspects, and
      create a firmware that turns the 300D to a 10D.

      Canon will not like this one bit and issue a firmware update
      (containing some important fixes) which removes the 10d parts. Most
      users want the fix(s) and use the new firmware - end of story.

      My personal opinion is that you can do good if you aim low - just a
      fix for the FEC in-camera would be great, and possibly simple enough
      to be re-applied every firmware update.

      Just my 0.2c

      Joseph

      BTW, it is not clear from your posts if you were are to re-create the
      published FEC fix (via USA, not switchable from camera). Can someone
      comment on that? I assume that a linux version is out of the question
      since the SDK is windows only??