AKC CHF Podcast - Canince Cancer Consortium

  • Heather Kinzy
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 15, 2008
      from my mastiff list.
      just checking in to see how everyone is doing. I'm thinking of you guys and
      sending positive energy to your pups daily!
      Heather

      AKC Canine Health Foundation Media Alert

      American Kennel Club and AKC Canine Health Foundation Release Podcast on
      Canine Comparative Oncology and Genomics Consortium [Thursday, August 14,
      2008]

      The American Kennel Club and the AKC Canine Health Foundation are pleased to
      debut the next podcast in the Genome Barks series.

      This week's podcast is a follow up to our recent interview with Dr. Matthew
      Breen. Dr. Breen, while a world renowned cancer researcher, is also the
      Treasurer of the Canine Comparative Oncology & Genomics Consortium (CCOGC).
      Jointly sponsored by the AKC Canine Health Foundation and Morris Animal
      Foundation, the CCOGC is a collaboration of veterinary and medical
      oncologists, pathologists, surgeons, geneticists, and molecular and cellular
      biologists. This group determined that a well-described repository of
      tissues (tumor and normal) from tumor bearing dogs was an essential resource
      needed for advancing our understanding of canine cancer. The biospecimen
      repository, sponsored by Pfizer, houses tumor tissue, normal tissues, serum,
      plasma, peripheral blood mononuclear cell preparations, genomic DNA, RNA and
      urine samples. The goal is to obtain 3,000 samples of lymphoma,
      osteosarcoma, melanoma, hemangiosarcoma, soft tissue sarcoma/histiocytic
      sarcoma, mast cell tumors and lung cancer.

      New podcasts are released every two weeks and can be accessed from either
      the American Kennel Club website at www.akc.org or the AKC Canine Health
      Foundation website at www.akcchf.org - click on "Podcasts." They are also
      available on Apple's iTunes® or directly at www.akc-akcchf.libsyn.com.

      Clubs are encouraged to add the Genome Barks Podcast link to their home
      pages. Contact the AKC Canine Health Foundation to obtain graphics and
      links.

      Click here to listen to the podcasts.

      Click here to support important research at the AKC Canine Health Foundation
      and please consider a recurring gift.

      Contact:
      Erica Kitchen
      Acting Director of Development
      AKC Canine Health Foundation
      919-334-4010
      888-682-9696
      www.akcchf.org

      The AKC Canine Health Foundation, founded in 1995 by the American Kennel
      Club, is the largest nonprofit worldwide to fund health research exclusively
      for canines. Our goal is to help dogs live longer, healthier lives. The AKC
      Canine Health Foundation is the leader in non-invasive genetic health
      research, stem cell research, and biotherapeutics benefiting both canines
      and humans. Through the generous financial support of the American Kennel
      Club and the Nestlé Purina PetCare Co., we're proud to announce we have
      allocated more than $20 million in canine health research through more than
      75 schools and research institutions worldwide.

      The American Kennel Club, founded in 1884, is a not-for-profit organization
      which maintains the largest registry of purebred dogs in the world and
      oversees the sport of purebred dogs in the United States. The AKC is
      dedicated to upholding the integrity of its registry, promoting the sport of
      purebred dogs and breeding for type and function. Along with its nearly
      5,000 licensed and member clubs and its affiliated organizations, the AKC
      advocates for the purebred dog as a family companion, advances canine health
      and well-being, works to protect the rights of all dog owners and promotes
      responsible dog ownership. More than 20,000 competitions for AKC-registered
      purebred dogs are held under AKC rules and regulations each year including
      conformation, agility, obedience, rally, tracking, herding, lure coursing,
      coonhound events, hunt tests, field and earthdog tests. Affiliate AKC
      organizations include the AKC Humane Fund, AKC Canine Health Foundation, AKC
      Companion Animal Recovery and the AKC Museum of the Dog.

      AKC, American Kennel Club, the American Kennel Club seal and design, and all
      associated marks and logos are trademarks, registered trademarks and service
      marks of The American Kennel Club, Inc.

      FINANCIAL GIFTS TO THE AKC CHF.........

      You can request that your donations go directly to the
      Mastiff Donor Advised Fund or to....
      Danny's Mastiff Memorial Fund (in memory of a loved one).
      Of course you can give directly to the AKC CHF General Fund too.

      Enjoy and stay educated!!

      Anna May

      FOR MORE AKC CHF PODCASTS, GO TO......

      Genome Barks